Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

How is he the type of player we need if he can't pass?

I'd also stay well clear of Ambrose and Adam and look for premier league players.

Guthrie can Pass, Barton can pass. What we need in midfield is some energy.

Nolan can't pass, neither can Smith or Butt.

We need a good footballer, if they have good energy that is a bonus but we can't sacrifice quality.

Guest firetotheworks

Reo Coker is the last thing we need. Another slow midfielder.

Tuncay sounds like a decent shout, considering he's the type of player who will die for the cause. Not sure he's quite good enough to bang them in regularly though. He often flatters to deceive.

Charlie Adam would be seriously out his depth in the Premier league

This. Pace is a necessity in the Prem, he doesn't have any.

This is probably ridiculous but is Wilshire actually going to become an Arsenal regular in the near future?

How is he the type of player we need if he can't pass?

I'd also stay well clear of Ambrose and Adam and look for premier league players.

Guthrie can Pass, Barton can pass. What we need in midfield is some energy.

Nolan can't pass, neither can Smith or Butt.

We need a good footballer, if they have good energy that is a bonus but we can't sacrifice quality.

For all of Nolan's athletic faults, he is very much a Premiership standard player technically in my opinion. He can get the ball down and play a pass that will go to a team mates feet (whilst not putting them in the shit) better than most.

Nolan is a good footballer. We need a player with an engine and mobility. Would be nice if they actually had some talent as well....

I mean ideally yeah we'd get somebody with great pace, stamina, passing, vision etc.

But that's not a luxury we have as a newly prmoted side, all the players we get will be limited in one way or another... And if there's one kind of midfielder we lack at the moment it's a good, energetic hard-tackler.

Guest geordienorway

Mentioned it a few pages back, but Anthony Annan is the CM powerhouse that we need. He's the one!

How often have you watched Annan?

Wouldn't call him a powerhouse. He has a great engine, and is very effective in the way he plays. The problem is that he contributes nothing going forward, and Barton and Guthrie have yet to show that they could fulfill the creative midfielder-role alone. He would probably be a good signing, but I think La Liga og Ligue 1 is more suited to him.

Got some spare time on my hands so here's some players I'd be looking at over the next couple of windows. I've only covered the English leagues and I can't help but feel we'd have to look abroad for a decent right back/goal scoring striker that fits the Ashley model (under 26 etc):

Lee Camp - Excellent young prospect, can see him competing for the England number one spot one day. Provided Forest don't get promoted I doubt they'd demand a silly fee although in this up and coming summer window a keeper probably isn't top of our priorities.

James Tompkins - Can cover centre back and right back, looks to be a decent prospect. Although he's young and English so West Ham would probably deamnd a daft price.

Philippe Senderos - Never been his greatest fan but we could do a hell of a lot worse. Out of contract too I think.

Alan Hutton - Looks like he's off to the mackems but worth a punt. Great going forward but still worry about him defensively, a definate improvement on Simpson.

Ben Watson - I've been impressed whenever I've seen this lad play, admittedly that's only a handful of times. Looks like a decent, energetic box-to-box midfielder.

Jack Collison - Probably one of the more unrealistic transfers on the list, decent young centre mid, would probably need someone more expereinced playing alongside him given he's looked very inexperienced. Loads of potential but we probably need someone who's learnt the game a bit longer than this lad.

Jamie O'Hara - Frequently linked. Looks like a decent young prospect in the middle of the park, would certianly give us some more energy in the middle amoungst other things.

Jack Wilshire (loan) - With returning players and the potential for new signings Wilshire's chances of first team football could be limited. Could be a very good short term signing.

Kevin-Prince Boateng - Linked with us a fair bit, predominantly plays on the right wing but can play in the centre too. Would provide cover/a replacement for Routledge who is unproven in the top flight. Again though I'm not sure a winger would be top of the priority list in the summer.

Chris Eagles - An alternative to Boateng. Frequently the stand out player in a Burnley side destined for relegation. Should be available for a sensible fee too.

Valon Behrami - Another right winger, can also cover right back.

Jordi Gomez After an impressive season in the Championship last year he's very much had an inconsistant season. His potential is evident, I particularly remember the game against Villa on the opening day of the season, he absolutely ran the show. Would certianly be a risk and a player I'd be more confident playing at home, perhaps in place of Nolan who could be more helpful on the road. Obviously being a risk I wouldn't pay a massive fee but certianly worth a look.

Nened Milijas - Like Gomez inconsistant play maker. Wolves would probably deamnd a sizeable fee for him too. Has still looked quality in parts this season, worth a look.

Vladimir Weiss (loan) - Currently on loan at Bolton, can play as an attacking mid or a right winger. Could be a decent short term aquisition.

Steven Fletcher - Another Burnely player I've been impressed with. Although his goal tally isn't great (who's would be in the side he's playing in) he frequently troubles defenders and certainly looks to be a decent prospect. Admittedly if he I was buying him I'd be looking at another more prolific striker to play along side him.

Kevin Doyle - Has proved with Reading and Wolves he can score goals at the highest level, couldn't see Wolves letting him go on the cheap given they've more or less secured promotion.

James Vaughn (loan) - Doubt Everton would sell him but could be a decent loan. He appaears to made of glass but when he is fit look as though he could bang a few in.

Carlos Vela (loan) - Never really had a regular run of games in the Premier League but remember a couple of years ago when he was scoring for fun at Osasuna.

Guest Heneage

For me I'd be chuffed if come first day of the season these 11 walked out in the new Puma kit.

Joe Hart (Loan)

Mendy                Williamson                  Coloccini              Enrique

Reo-Coker

Boateng              Barton     

Routledge                                                                      Jonas

Carroll

Harper

Simpson

Senderos

Nolan

Loven

Eagles

Wilshire (Loan)

Guest Heneage

I certainly wouldn't be, not one proven goalcorer in that entire squad.

I honestly couldn't think of one we could realistically get. I also don't see much chance of them buying any strikers, that's how I think our squad will look.

If our striker force next season consists of Carroll and Lovenkrands than I believe we will definitely struggle.

What about Tuncay? He's class and doesn't seem to be able to hold a starting berth at Stoke no matter what he does.

This is an idea I can support.

Kezman, I just don't see our coaching staff changing our system to placate a young "luxury player" as you put it. He would probaly start when we played 4-5-1, but I think to this point Hughton has favoured 4-4-2. Much like Nolan, I really think he is competing with the second striker for a position on the field. I think he might actually be a better option off the bench anyway, running at tired legs and creating.

Oga please enlighten us on the prospects of signing Mevlut Erding who we have been recently linked with in the French media. Also, what kind of player would he be?

Oga :lol: Finally someone greets me the proper way.

Honestly, I don't see why Erding would come. We should have been in for him while he was still at Sochaux. PSG are rubbish, but he'll be on rather good wages, and I'd imagine bigger clubs would be in for him. If he leaves it will probably be for a team competing in Europe. He's a very good player, though. Very skillful and has great pace and has looked pretty good in front of goal this season. He's very exciting to watch, and seems quite durable/strong as well. I think he's headed for great things. This is his first season at a decent club and he's been a undoubted success. Sessegnon (I wish he born a country to the right. We could use him with Mikel and co in midfield.) and Hoarau would be great signings from PSG as well, but they are also probably going to bigger clubs.