Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

reo coker might be a good one but wages might be a problem, there might be a bit of a clearout at villa this summer anyone else there who could do a job for us and we can realisticly get? sidwell?

Isn't Reo Coker reputed to be a big time charlie? Last thing we need is to break up the team spirit ....

Had his name dragged through the mud as he was associated with that pillock Anton Ferdinand.

Reo-Coker is actually top notch as far as character goes. He's someone I would like to see us go for tbh. He needs to be given the same role as he had at Wimbledon when he first emerged on the scene i.e. a box to box midfield role. Not quite savvy enough to be a disciplined defensive/holding midfielder. He has tons of drive, energy and commitment, but not quite the greatest touch or passing. Around the right players in a 4-5-1 he could be really good. A poor man's Essien sort of.

So we could potentially have Kevin "poor man's Lampard" Nolan and Nigel "poor man's Essien" Reo-Coker, and we're well on our way to being as good as Chelsea already.

Genuinely think that if there is a mass clearout at City, you might be able to pick up the odd player at a reasonable price.  Times was suggesting the following players might be available:

Robinho, Stephen Ireland, Martin Petrov, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Roque Santa Cruz, Patrick Vieira, Javier Garrido, Sylvinho, Felipe Caicedo, Benjani Mwaruwari and Michael Johnson.

Not suggesting they would all want to come to us or would be in our price range, but I can think of worse signings.

The ones we could afford would either sign for better sides or require too high wages. Wouldnt touch 75% of them with a 200 ft barge pole tbh

I suspect City might be open to loan deals as well - so I personally wouldn't rule it out.

reo coker might be a good one but wages might be a problem, there might be a bit of a clearout at villa this summer anyone else there who could do a job for us and we can realisticly get? sidwell?

Isn't Reo Coker reputed to be a big time charlie? Last thing we need is to break up the team spirit ....

Had his name dragged through the mud as he was associated with that pillock Anton Ferdinand.

Reo-Coker is actually top notch as far as character goes. He's someone I would like to see us go for tbh. He needs to be given the same role as he had at Wimbledon when he first emerged on the scene i.e. a box to box midfield role. Not quite savvy enough to be a disciplined defensive/holding midfielder. He has tons of drive, energy and commitment, but not quite the greatest touch or passing. Around the right players in a 4-5-1 he could be really good. A poor man's Essien sort of.

So we could potentially have Kevin "poor man's Lampard" Nolan and Nigel "poor man's Essien" Reo-Coker, and we're well on our way to being as good as Chelsea already.

;D

Guest Roger Kint

Genuinely think that if there is a mass clearout at City, you might be able to pick up the odd player at a reasonable price.  Times was suggesting the following players might be available:

Robinho, Stephen Ireland, Martin Petrov, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Roque Santa Cruz, Patrick Vieira, Javier Garrido, Sylvinho, Felipe Caicedo, Benjani Mwaruwari and Michael Johnson.

Not suggesting they would all want to come to us or would be in our price range, but I can think of worse signings.

The ones we could afford would either sign for better sides or require too high wages. Wouldnt touch 75% of them with a 200 ft barge pole tbh

I suspect City might be open to loan deals as well - so I personally wouldn't rule it out.

Eh? What has City's loan policy got to do with what i posted? :undecided:

All I was suggesting was that some of the above players might be available on loan - therefore our risk is somewhat lessened if we were to get them for a year on loan.

Guest Roger Kint

All I was suggesting was that some of the above players might be available on loan - therefore our risk is somewhat lessened if we were to get them for a year on loan.

Yeah but as the majority on that list are utter crap and Robinho, Ireland, SWP wouldnt ever sign for us what does it matter how much risk there is when they wont help us or wont come? :undecided:

Yeah but as the majority on that list are utter crap and Robinho, Ireland, SWP wouldnt ever sign for us what does it matter how much risk there is when they wont help us or wont come? :undecided:

You'd be mad to turn down Santa Cruz on loan and I think Garrido would be pretty good cover/competition for Enrique if he was brought in on loan.  I don't think Petrov on loan would be that bad.

I agree that you shouldn't go near Vieira, Benjani or Johnson.  Not sure about Caicedo - is he on loan at Sporting?  Not sure how he has done there.

Guest Roger Kint

Never said i would turn down Santa Cruz just he wouldnt come here imo so i didnt comment on him.

Garrido is hardly going to leave City to sit on our bench either tbh.

Caicedo is turboshite though, dont think he has done much at Malaga this year.

We need to move away from signing people on big wages who are being jettisoned from clubs like City and previously Chelsea imo, look at players on the up as opposed to the way down

I completely agree on the policy of buying players on the up.  100% behind that policy and I've always advocated it.  In fact I've done it quite a lot in this very thread I think.

However, I think that because City are quite unique since they have endless pots of cash to hoard good players, they will inevitably end up offloading good players who could do a job for us and are still in their 'prime'.  I think there is a world of difference between buying someone like Geremi, Smith, Duff, Butt etc and getting someone like Santa Cruz or Petrov on loan - in terms of risk and the ability of the players.

The reason I mentioned Santa Cruz was because you left him out of the players you stated wouldn't come to us and labelled the rest as crap.  Therefore, I assumed you had lumped Santa Cruz in with the crap.

All I will say in relation to Garrido is that he is far more likely to get games here than he is at City - so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he could move if he wanted to challenge for a place.

Guest Stephen927

:lol:

That's the spirit.

Guest Roger Kint
All I will say in relation to Garrido is that he is far more likely to get games here than he is at City - so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he could move if he wanted to challenge for a place.

I know what you are saying but i just dont see it being here, he isnt that good, paid a lot and would probably prefer a move back to Spain tbh

I think there is a world of difference between buying someone like Geremi, Smith, Duff, Butt etc and getting someone like Santa Cruz or Petrov on loan - in terms of risk and the ability of the players.

I'm not quite sure I understand this line. Whilst I obviously get the difference between a loan and straight purchase I don't think there is any perceived huge difference in abilities at the stage at which we purchased Duff and Butt particularly. If anything, at the time we got Duff and Butt I would have had higher hopes for them than I would for Santa Cruz or Petrov.

On reflection - I am happy to admit that you are possibly right on that one.  I am trying to remember how I felt when we bought Duff.  Pretty convinced I wasn't happy about Smith, Butt and Geremi.  Duff was probably the exception.  Hard to judge without hindsight really.

I suppose the distinction in my mind is that the players above were offloaded seemingly because they weren't good enough, whereas I regard some of the players that City are offloading as being offloaded simply because City just buy players on a seemingly random basis.  Therefore, I suppose I think they will end up offloading players who still have something to offer and I see potential value there.  As I said earlier - as a general rule I would advocate the purchase only of young and hungry players.

I suppose I was making the distinction based on the fact that Petrov doesn't seem to have lost any pace (whereas it was clear that all the NUFC players above had) and seems very effective whenever I see him play.  RSC just seems to have been a bit unlucky with injuries early on and then the fact that they bought Adebayor and Tevez.

Anyone thinking Petrov or Santa Cruz will leave their massive wonga pile at City to come and play here under our new wage structure is a little bit wide of the mark (wayhey!), IMO.

As I pointed out earlier - not if City want to get rid of them.  If City want to get rid, they will end up paying a percentage of the player's existing salary I imagine to facilitate their departure.  It just depends on what wages we could actually offer over and above that.

I'd pull out all the stops for Charlie Adam and Darren Ambrose if our budget is £15m.

Agree. I don't think either would be expensive. Both would be good back up, although you can argue we already have plenty of players in the more attacking midfield role (I'm not sure if Ambrose is that good on the wing)

What we really must do this summer is scout the motherfucking earth for a strong, mobile defensive midfielder. Quality players in that mould are few, very expensive and out of our reach but if the work is done we'll find the right man. That would improve us so much, giving more creative freedom to Guthrie/Nolan/Barton that I'd pay the majority of our budget for a good player in that position.

Then again, it might just not work (as it often does with foreigners in Newcastle) and we'd be back to our old ways of wasting money.

Hopefully things are now different in the dressing room and whoever we get would adapt easily to an already functioning team..

I'd pull out all the stops for Charlie Adam and Darren Ambrose if our budget is £15m.

Agree. I don't think either would be expensive. Both would be good back up, although you can argue we already have plenty of players in the more attacking midfield role (I'm not sure if Ambrose is that good on the wing)

What we really must do this summer is scout the motherfucking earth for a strong, mobile defensive midfielder. Quality players in that mould are few, very expensive and out of our reach but if the work is done we'll find the right man. That would improve us so much, giving more creative freedom to Guthrie/Nolan/Barton that I'd pay the majority of our budget for a good player in that position.

Then again, it might just not work (as it often does with foreigners in Newcastle) and we'd be back to our old ways of wasting money.

Hopefully things are now different in the dressing room and whoever we get would adapt easily to an already functioning team..

Don't think you lads have seen Charlie Adam quite enough, he does have a sweet left foot but his weight goes completely out of fucking control all the time and his workrate during a game is pisspoor. He couldn't anywhere near cut it at Rangers so how is he going to do that for us exactly?

Ambrose has had his chance and I fail to see how he would really improve our midfield.

I agree about a good defensive midfielder Junkhead. Get rid of Smith and either one of Barton and Nolan and we'd have plenty cash to get one too.

I cannot see the point of buying either of them. Ambrose has found his niche in this division and Adam is no better than Guthrie plus he is untried at a higher level. I also feel we need to fill more important positions first before looking at midfielders, like a right back, another central defender, a striker and a back up left back.

Alright, I've finally thought of a good Korean to plug in this thread :lol:

Cho Won-Hee, plays for Wigan but Martinez didn't fancy him when he came in and loaned him out to his old club in Korea this season.

He is literally the Korean Nigel Reo-Coker, Runs hard, tackles well, can't pass. He's got Park-level stamina and a great attitude. Seems like exactly the player we need.

Would probably do well over there if someone gave him a chance. Then again, we'd probably have a good shot at getting the actual Nigel Reo-Coker himself, wouldn't we?

Guest BooBoo

Really not convinced by Santa Cruz (it's a ridiculous notion anyway). He's had one good season of goalscoring in his career and done next to nowt over the last year and a half.

How is he the type of player we need if he can't pass?

I'd also stay well clear of Ambrose and Adam and look for premier league players.

Guthrie can Pass, Barton can pass. What we need in midfield is some energy.

As I pointed out earlier - not if City want to get rid of them.  If City want to get rid, they will end up paying a percentage of the player's existing salary I imagine to facilitate their departure.  It just depends on what wages we could actually offer over and above that.

Think that's a load of bollocks as well really, but obviously you could be right.

They are also too old. Should have mentioned that.

Oh, and there will probably be teams with more money in that could offer them deals similar to what they are already on... etc etc. zzzzzzzzzz....