Ronaldo

M4

Ronaldo the footballer was a far better footballer than Shearer but Ronaldo the centre-forward or striker or whatever you want to call it certainly wasn't. For me Shearer was the ultimate in that role and was better than Ronaldo, although not by huge margins. I'd say Batistuta was a better centre-forward than Ronaldo too. People really underestimate Shearer. If you wanted the perfect centre-forward Shearer would tick all boxes or get a 10 out of 10 for each attribute other than dribbling or pace which in his pomp by the way he had a fair bit of. Ronaldo had a certain finesse and absolute amazing balance combined with pace and skill which he combined together to amazing effect hence the outrageous moments in his play or game. Shearer didn't have that but he had amazing technique, immense physical strength only bettered by his mental strength, had a really good footballing brain and amazing awareness and positional sense. Take a look through his goals, not just for Newcastle but England, Blackburn and Southampton. He could cross the ball better than anyone and there was no-one better at leading the line either with his back to goal or facing the opposition defence. He was also an inspirational figurehead for his team-mates. Take away the honours, World Cups etc. and Ronaldo wouldn't be rated as highly as he rightly is today and forever will be just like Giggs will never be rated as highly as in the game as he is rated in OUR game, the English game. He for me though is the best winger in the world of the last 20 years, easily. Shearer and Ronaldo are of course quite different players and if we are to judge them as simply footballers, Ronaldo is a level above Shearer but as a centre-forward or striker, Shearer was on another level not just to Ronaldo but any other striker or centre-forward if his hero. If Torres is worth all that money and Carroll you'd need to break the world transfer record and break into maybe the 100m mark for Shearer today, and indeed a Ronaldo.

That was a really stupid post tbh. Take way the honours from a footballer and you have nothing. It would be pointless to play for no honour.

Shearer was a top class forward and striker or whatever you call it.

But you ask a thousand people who'd they rather build a team around and it would be Ronaldo. He was an immense player with huge potential. And strikers are rated on the amount of goals and their threat. Ronaldo was the better goalscorer the better player and therefore the better striker.

It the end Ronaldo won more, scored more and above all at his prime he was unstoppable.

A true legend has stopped playing, but we have other players forming into true greats in Messi and dare I say Cristiano Ronaldo.

Definitely got to say CR7. The kid has torn shit up (averaged more than 1 in 2 in the last 5 seasons) in the two widely recognised best leagues going. An unbelievable player, the amount of games he has won single handedly almost too.

I despise Cronaldo, but to deny he is in the running for the footballing altars would be stupid. Carried ManU and carries Real Madrid. If he wasn't so stupidly selfish he would be immense (or worse, who knows).

Yeah; I despise him, fucking disgusting player but he is the 2nd most dominant player in the world at the moment.

Ronaldo the footballer was a far better footballer than Shearer but Ronaldo the centre-forward or striker or whatever you want to call it certainly wasn't. For me Shearer was the ultimate in that role and was better than Ronaldo, although not by huge margins. I'd say Batistuta was a better centre-forward than Ronaldo too. People really underestimate Shearer. If you wanted the perfect centre-forward Shearer would tick all boxes or get a 10 out of 10 for each attribute other than dribbling or pace which in his pomp by the way he had a fair bit of. Ronaldo had a certain finesse and absolute amazing balance combined with pace and skill which he combined together to amazing effect hence the outrageous moments in his play or game. Shearer didn't have that but he had amazing technique, immense physical strength only bettered by his mental strength, had a really good footballing brain and amazing awareness and positional sense. Take a look through his goals, not just for Newcastle but England, Blackburn and Southampton. He could cross the ball better than anyone and there was no-one better at leading the line either with his back to goal or facing the opposition defence. He was also an inspirational figurehead for his team-mates. Take away the honours, World Cups etc. and Ronaldo wouldn't be rated as highly as he rightly is today and forever will be just like Giggs will never be rated as highly as in the game as he is rated in OUR game, the English game. He for me though is the best winger in the world of the last 20 years, easily. Shearer and Ronaldo are of course quite different players and if we are to judge them as simply footballers, Ronaldo is a level above Shearer but as a centre-forward or striker, Shearer was on another level not just to Ronaldo but any other striker or centre-forward if his hero. If Torres is worth all that money and Carroll you'd need to break the world transfer record and break into maybe the 100m mark for Shearer today, and indeed a Ronaldo.

That was a really stupid post tbh. Take way the honours from a footballer and you have nothing. It would be pointless to play for no honour.

But you ask a thousand people who'd they rather build a team around and it would be Ronaldo. He was an immense player with huge potential. And strikers are rated on the amount of goals and their threat. Ronaldo was the better goalscorer the better player and therefore the better striker.

It the end Ronaldo won more, scored more and above all at his prime he was unstoppable.

A true legend has stopped playing, but we have other players forming into true greats in Messi and dare I say Cristiano Ronaldo.

Definitely got to say CR7. The kid has torn s*** up (averaged more than 1 in 2 in the last 5 seasons) in the two widely recognised best leagues going. An unbelievable player, the amount of games he has won single handedly almost too.

Still doesnt win big games on his own :pow: But yes I agree with you.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer wasn't top-class, he was world-class. He was in the top bracket of strikers in the world game and for me, pound for pound, at the very top, better than all, in the art of centre-forward play.

The fact Ronaldo won more and scored more doesn't make him the better centre-forward. Andy Cole won far more than Shearer but was not the better striker.

In terms of all-round centre-forward play, Shearer was a better centre-forward than Ronaldo. From 93-96 Shearer was an unstoppable force in what was a fairly average Blackburn Rovers side. He elevated them to title winners. He was the difference between them winning the title and being a mid-table side. He was immense for them as he was for us, although as a different forward due to his injuries and due to playing in most part at Newcastle, in a poor side. He could do it all and do it all in an exceptionally high standard on a consistent basis regardless of team, opposition or level.

I'm not putting Ronaldo down here by the way, he was a few levels above Shearer and indeed anyone simply as a footballer, above Zidane who I rate as the best ever in my time watching the game, but if we are talking about centre-forwards and centre-forward play, then Shearer for me was the best of his generation, better than Ronaldo even.

Heading? Shearer

All-round shooting? Shearer

Link up play? Shearer

Crossing? Shearer

Striking technique? Shearer

Physical strength? Shearer

Positioning? Shearer

Awareness? Shearer

General leading of the line? Shearer

Skills? Ronaldo by a mile

Pace? Ronaldo by a mile

Dribbling? Ronaldo by a mile

Genuine football ability? Ronaldo

So as a footballer in terms of skill, flair and ability, Ronaldo by a mile, but as a centre-forward? Shearer, easily.

In my opinion anyway...

Not bad points, HTT.  However Ronaldo's link up play was phenomenal, a class above Shearer's.  Some of the passes he pulled off were absolutely ridiculous.  This often gets overlooked, but his ability to deceive everybody with a clever pass would certainly put him at home with the '70 Brazil team.  

Shearer wasn't top-class, he was world-class. He was in the top bracket of strikers in the world game and for me, pound for pound, at the very top, better than all, in the art of centre-forward play.

The fact Ronaldo won more and scored more doesn't make him the better centre-forward. Andy Cole won far more than Shearer but was not the better striker.

In terms of all-round centre-forward play, Shearer was a better centre-forward than Ronaldo. From 93-96 Shearer was an unstoppable force in what was a fairly average Blackburn Rovers side. He elevated them to title winners. He was the difference between them winning the title and being a mid-table side. He was immense for them as he was for us, although as a different forward due to his injuries and due to playing in most part at Newcastle, in a poor side. He could do it all and do it all in an exceptionally high standard on a consistent basis regardless of team, opposition or level.

I'm not putting Ronaldo down here by the way, he was a few levels above Shearer and indeed anyone simply as a footballer, above Zidane who I rate as the best ever in my time watching the game, but if we are talking about centre-forwards and centre-forward play, then Shearer for me was the best of his generation, better than Ronaldo even.

Heading? Shearer

All-round shooting? Shearer

Link up play? Shearer

Crossing? Shearer

Striking technique? Shearer

Physical strength? Shearer

Positioning? Shearer

Awareness? Shearer

General leading of the line? Shearer

Skills? Ronaldo by a mile

Pace? Ronaldo by a mile

Dribbling? Ronaldo by a mile

Genuine football ability? Ronaldo

So as a footballer in terms of skill, flair and ability, Ronaldo by a mile, but as a centre-forward? Shearer, easily.

In my opinion anyway...

The only thing that Ronaldo didnt have in his armoury was heading. That's it. That is literally one of 2 things that i can think of that would give shearer the edge, the other being his hold up play, although in his pomp he rarely needed to hold up the ball becasue he didnt rely on service. Ronaldo was dangerous anywhere in the opponent's half, no exaggeration.

Ronaldo's done it in every league he's played and at every single level. The comparision is non existent in my opinion - Ronaldo was the best striker i've ever seen don't think it's even fair to say that Shearer was a close second.

Shearer's shooting, striking technique and awareness were never better than Ronaldo's, man. That's incredible bias.

Ronaldo was also stronger in his prime than Shearer was in his own.

Did you get them to do some bench pressing for you?  You do speak some shite.

I don't think I'll have ever get bored of his goal for Barca when he skins most of the opposition team (Compostela?) and Bobby was so happy about it.

I was thinking of that.  I thought it was Hercules, but you might be right.

Surely the fact that Ronaldo's heading ability wasn't world class gives the argument that Shearer's finishing was superior some bite?

Nobody is disputing Ronaldo was far superior technically, but imo Shearer was more likely to put the ball in the back of then net when given the ball in the box :nods:

Shearer's shooting, striking technique and awareness were never better than Ronaldo's, man. That's incredible bias.

Did you get them to do some bench pressing for you?  You do speak some s****.

Prime Shearer never knocked defenders around like Ronaldo did. If you disagree then fair enough, but it sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to engage.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Have to say like; trust a Toon forum to turn a thread about a striker into a 'Striker v Shearer' comparison debate.  :laugh:

Don't know about that there. I'd say Shearer has the upper hand it terms of shooting the ball, volleys and the like.

Clearly R9 is miles ahead overall, but I do find it funny how it really irks you to say anything positive about Shearer. So much so you use a player who is probably the best forward ever to shit on him :lol: