Eusebio

Cubillas

Michael Laudrup

Bobby Moore

Puskas

Fontaine

Matthaeus

Maier

all absolute legends.  The best player I saw live was Cruyff, back when he played with the Diplomats.  I was 5, but I could see how great he still was.  And when Beckenbauer and the Cosmos were in town...

But nobody compares to Salenko. :)

They're different types of player though Tooj.Zidane was a magician,unrivalled by any other midfielder I've seen,whereas Ronaldo has strikers who can compare with him.Van Basten and possibly even Batistuta.

However the best team I've seen,Brazil 82 lacked one thing and that was a striker.Perish the thought what Ronaldo would've added to that side.

Batistuta doesn't have a patch on Ronaldo, I don't think he even has a patch on Shearer. Great "fox in the box" and striker of the ball, but not amongst the greatest imho.

They're different types of player though Tooj.Zidane was a magician,unrivalled by any other midfielder I've seen,whereas Ronaldo has strikers who can compare with him.Van Basten and possibly even Batistuta.

However the best team I've seen,Brazil 82 lacked one thing and that was a striker.Perish the thought what Ronaldo would've added to that side.

Batistuta doesn't have a patch on Ronaldo, I don't think he even has a patch on Shearer. Great "fox in the box" and striker of the ball, but not amongst the greatest imho.

I'd say Batigol is Shearer's equal like. What let Shearer down was that he never went abroad IMO.

Tooj, I wasn't comparing the two.  I was comparing the difference in their overall status in the game.  I would not put Ronaldo up there with Maradona.  Nor would I put Shearer up there with Platini.  Both sets completely different players.

I was making the point that Ronaldo is one step above Shearer, as Maradona is one step above Platini.  Having been fortunate to see Platini play, I even have trouble saying Zidane was superior to him.  I still regard Platini as the best player France has ever produced. 

Ronaldo falls into the second tier legends category for me.  1st tier would be Pele, Maradona, and distantly Cruyff. 

Then you have the Beckenbauer's, Platini's Ronaldo's, van Basten's, Zidane's, Rivelino's, Zico's...and I'd even throw in Cubillas here

Shearer is in the 3rd tier with the Laudrup's, Neeskens, Tigana's, Klinsmann's...     

Agree with most of your choices but for me Ronaldo is definitely up there in the top tier. He scored goals most people couldn't even dream of.

I'd say Batigol is Shearer's equal like. What let Shearer down was that he never went abroad IMO.

Aye what a shame PL clubs pay decent wedge. Most of Barca top boys have not played abroad either & that includes Messi who only played in Spain.

Aye what a shame PL clubs pay decent wedge. Most of Barca top boys have not played abroad either & that includes Messi who only played in Spain.

Aye, hopefully Messi will leave Barca at some point but I can't see it. It's also why many could validly rate CR7 higher than Messi as he has bossed it in two leagues.

Tooj, I wasn't comparing the two.  I was comparing the difference in their overall status in the game.  I would not put Ronaldo up there with Maradona.  Nor would I put Shearer up there with Platini.  Both sets completely different players.

I was making the point that Ronaldo is one step above Shearer, as Maradona is one step above Platini.  Having been fortunate to see Platini play, I even have trouble saying Zidane was superior to him.  I still regard Platini as the best player France has ever produced. 

Ronaldo falls into the second tier legends category for me.  1st tier would be Pele, Maradona, and distantly Cruyff. 

Then you have the Beckenbauer's, Platini's Ronaldo's, van Basten's, Zidane's, Rivelino's, Zico's...and I'd even throw in Cubillas here

Shearer is in the 3rd tier with the Laudrup's, Neeskens, Tigana's, Klinsmann's...     

Agree with most of your choices but for me Ronaldo is definitely up there in the top tier. He scored goals most people couldn't even dream of.

I disagree with Ronaldo being in the top tier, on that sense he was a 2nd tier legend.

What I feel is absurd is the fact that Di Stefano and Garrincha are not in the top tier.

For me who has only seen video footage from the grand.

Di Stefano, Garrincha, Pele, Maradona, Zico, Cruyff were in the level above everyone

Then comes Ronaldo, Zidane, Platini, Beckenbauer, Romario. Never seen footages of Puskas but Hungary wasn't a bad team back then.

Read my post again.  I put Ronaldo in the second tier.  Garrincha, yes.  I haven't forgotten him.  One of the craziest styles we will ever see.  Used his own slight deformities to his own advantage.  I would serioulsy consider throwing him in there with Pele, Maradona and Cruyff.  Di Stefano was ridiculously good, but I would still class him with the Platinis.

Check out footage from Puskas.  He was so far ahead of everyone in the early 50's, it was ridiculous.  The 54 Hungarian team was unbefuckinglievable.  It's a shame that Puskas wasn't healthy in the final against West Germany.

Batistuta was a fantastic player.  I would put him on the level with Shearer.  Shearer's finishing was on such a ridiculous level, particularly how he could blast the ball with such accuracy.  Few players will ever match his finishing ability and his poise.   

Can never understand the fuss about pele myself, if you're looking at goal scoring record then surely mullr tops him considering his goals were in a competent league?

Pele was more than a goal scorer though.

Shearer 409 goals in 796 appearances (including internationals) 0.51 goals per game

Ronaldo 420 goals in 620 appearances (including internationals) 0.67 goals per game

So yes, Ronaldo's strike rate is better, but you have to take into account that a lot of those goals came playing for a top side in the Brazilian league and that Ronaldo played in 97 international games in comparison to Shearer's 63. Both suffered serious knee injuries in the mid-late nineties and lost a yard of pace meaning that they had to adapt their game and both pulled it off pretty damn well.  There is no basis to say that Shearer wouldn't have just as well playing in the teams that Ronaldo did. Shearer and Ronaldo in their youth were both very similar players, people seem to forget that whilst at Southampton, Blackburn and in his first season at Newcastle Shearer actually had pace, and was a scarily good player because of it.

The two players finishing abilities are very comparable, both were deadly in front of goal but Ronaldo had the extra touch of flair about how he did it, that does not make him a better finisher than Shearer by any means, just different styles. Ronaldo had more flair about his play but Shearer was better in the air. Therefore to call Ronaldo several levels above Shearer as a finisher and as a footballer is false in my eyes, especially when you take into account Shearer's magnificent ability to cross a ball and hit one hell of a free kick. As Disco says Shearer's reputation on the worldwide stage suffers from the fact he never played abroad, or for Manchester United, he'd be spoken of as one of the world's greatest if he had there is no doubt in my mind.

Ronaldo's contribution to world football is one of the greatest ever and will never be forgotten, however, Shearer's longevity and goalscoring ability in a team that towards the end of his career was lagging in mid table, should never be undermined. The two are my favourite strikers of all time and I think tit for tat arguments about who was better are pointless.

Shearer 409 goals in 796 appearances (including internationals) 0.51 goals per game

Ronaldo 420 goals in 620 appearances (including internationals) 0.67 goals per game

So yes, Ronaldo's strike rate is better, but you have to take into account that a lot of those goals came playing for a top side in the Brazilian league and that Ronaldo played in 97 international games in comparison to Shearer's 63. Both suffered serious knee injuries in the mid-late nineties and lost a yard of pace meaning that they had to adapt their game and both pulled it off pretty damn well.  There is no basis to say that Shearer wouldn't have just as well playing in the teams that Ronaldo did. Shearer and Ronaldo in their youth were both very similar players, people seem to forget that whilst at Southampton, Blackburn and in his first season at Newcastle Shearer actually had pace, and was a scarily good player because of it.

The two players finishing abilities are very comparable, both were deadly in front of goal but Ronaldo had the extra touch of flair about how he did it, that does not make him a better finisher than Shearer by any means, just different styles. Ronaldo had more flair about his play but Shearer was better in the air. Therefore to call Ronaldo several levels above Shearer as a finisher as a footballer is false in my eyes, especially when you take into account Shearer's magnificent ability to cross a ball and hit one hell of a free kick. As Disco says Shearer's reputation on the worldwide stage suffers from the fact he never played abroad, or to Manchester United, he'd be spoken of as one of the world's greatest if he had there is no doubt in my mind.

Ronaldo's contribution to world football is one of the greatest ever and will never be forgotten, however, Shearer's longevity and goalscoring ability in a team that towards the end of his career was lagging in mid table, should never be undermined. The two are my favourite strikers of all time and I think tit for tat arguments about who was better are pointless.

:lol: They were nothing alike.

Even though Shearer had pace in his younger days, it was nothing compared to the blistering pace that Ronaldo possessed. I've never seen a player being able to dribble with the ball at such pace.

Can never understand the fuss about pele myself, if you're looking at goal scoring record then surely mullr tops him considering his goals were in a competent league?

Also the Brazilian league was way stronger, since they got to keep the majority of their biggest talents.

So yes, Ronaldo's strike rate is better, but you have to take into account that a lot of those goals came playing for a top side in the Brazilian league and that Ronaldo played in 97 international games in comparison to Shearer's 63. Both suffered serious knee injuries in the mid-late nineties and lost a yard of pace meaning that they had to adapt their game and both pulled it off pretty damn well.  There is no basis to say that Shearer wouldn't have just as well playing in the teams that Ronaldo did. Shearer and Ronaldo in their youth were both very similar players, people seem to forget that whilst at Southampton, Blackburn and in his first season at Newcastle Shearer actually had pace, and was a scarily good player because of it.

The two players finishing abilities are very comparable, both were deadly in front of goal but Ronaldo had the extra touch of flair about how he did it, that does not make him a better finisher than Shearer by any means, just different styles. Ronaldo had more flair about his play but Shearer was better in the air. Therefore to call Ronaldo several levels above Shearer as a finisher as a footballer is false in my eyes, especially when you take into account Shearer's magnificent ability to cross a ball and hit one hell of a free kick. As Disco says Shearer's reputation on the worldwide stage suffers from the fact he never played abroad, or to Manchester United, he'd be spoken of as one of the world's greatest if he had there is no doubt in my mind.

Even though Shearer had pace in his younger days, it was nothing compared to the blistering pace that Ronaldo possessed. I've never seen a player being able to dribble with the ball at such pace.

I've seen clips of Shearer doing exactly the same thing for Blackburn and scoring, maybe Ronaldo might have been quicker, but did Shearer have the ability to do the same? Yes.

So yes, Ronaldo's strike rate is better, but you have to take into account that a lot of those goals came playing for a top side in the Brazilian league and that Ronaldo played in 97 international games in comparison to Shearer's 63. Both suffered serious knee injuries in the mid-late nineties and lost a yard of pace meaning that they had to adapt their game and both pulled it off pretty damn well.  There is no basis to say that Shearer wouldn't have just as well playing in the teams that Ronaldo did. Shearer and Ronaldo in their youth were both very similar players, people seem to forget that whilst at Southampton, Blackburn and in his first season at Newcastle Shearer actually had pace, and was a scarily good player because of it.

I've seen clips of Shearer doing exactly the same thing for Blackburn and scoring, maybe Ronaldo might have been quicker, but did Shearer have the ability to do the same? Yes.

Did Shearer ever get the ball from the half way line, dribble past 6 people and then bury it? Did he shite.

Also the Brazilian league was way stronger, since they got to keep the majority of their biggest talents.

Oh I can't understand the fuss about Pele. Don't even listen to him. He probably has no idea the Brazilian and Argentinian league were two of the strongest league at that time and that Pele won the World Cup three times.

TOP TIER:Pele,Best,Maradona,Charlton,Puskas,Di Stefano,Beckenbauer,Garrincha,Cruyff,Eusebio,Banks

ALMOST TOP TIER:Zidane,Ronaldo,Van Basten,Platini,Rivelino,Zico,Moore,Rossi,Muller

THEN:Greaves,Boniek,Batistuta,Law,Baggio,Seeler,Matthaus,Figo,Romario,Rummenigge.

Shearer would get into my next section down,with the likes of Kempes.I've seen most of these on tape but Van Basten I've seen live.

Did Shearer ever get the ball from the half way line, dribble past 6 people and then bury it? Did he s****.

Did Ronaldo ever hit a ball into the top corner from miles out like Shearer did against Chelsea? The point of my post was more a comparison of the twos phenomenal talents, I don't really care about who was better, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm certainly not arsed or petty enough to ring my Dad to dig out the 92/93 goals video where Shearer dribbles half the length of the field and scores. Shearer would get the edge in my eyes because he was my hero growing up, but I don't care if other people disagree. I just find it false to call Ronaldo several levels above or in a different league to Shearer. Especially since Shearer in his prime was being courted by Man U and clubs across Europe at around the same time Ronaldo was signing for Inter Milan.

Did Shearer ever get the ball from the half way line, dribble past 6 people and then bury it? Did he s****.

Did Ronaldo ever hit a ball into the top corner from miles out like Shearer did against Chelsea? The point of my post was more a comparison of the twos phenomenal talents, I don't really care about who was better, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm certainly not arsed or petty enough to ring my Dad to dig out the 92/93 goals video where Shearer dribbles half the length of the field and scores. Shearer would get the edge in my eyes because he was my hero growing up, but I don't care if other people disagree. I just find it false to call Ronaldo several levels above or in a different league to Shearer. Especially since Shearer in his prime was being courted by Man U and clubs across Europe at around the same time Ronaldo was signing for Inter Milan.

Aye, he did actually.