Ronaldo

M4

His record at Madrid is hilariously good when you consider he was only a shell of his pre-injury self. Just the complete package.

Messi is the only one I've seen that you can make a case for in terms of being th best player I've ever seen.

Who do you reckon was better having seen them both play for the team you support Village Idiot, you absolute f***ing jammy c***?

:p

Close. Ronaldo is the better goalscorer (we have a way better team to support Messi this time around, so to me Ronaldo's 34 goals are more impressive) but Messi is a better playmaker. Probably will go with Messi given the patchy career the fat one sadly had.

His record at Madrid is hilariously good when you consider he was only a shell of his pre-injury self. Just the complete package.

Messi is the only one I've seen that you can make a case for in terms of being th best player I've ever seen.

Who do you reckon was better having seen them both play for the team you support Village Idiot, you absolute f***ing jammy c***?

:p

Close. Ronaldo is the better goalscorer (we have a way better team to support Messi this time around, so to me Ronaldo's 34 goals are more impressive) but Messi is a better playmaker. Probably will go with Messi given the patchy career the fat one sadly had.

:lol: excellent

Guest EastEndGeordie

Such a sad day for me. With the retirement of Zidane, Figo and co a couple of years ago, Ronaldo really was the last one of a generation of great footballers during the nineties/early 21st century. Truly is the end of an era for football.

For me this was my hero as a kid. You guys had Shearer, Beardsley, Keegan and so on. But this was the player I most admired. Having met him back in '97 I was amazed by the fact that he was such a gentleman and stood there talking. My fondest memory will forever be the fact that I met him, but its also emotional to know that I sat there in the stadium when he broke the goalscoring record, that i sat there when he put us through to the Finals in the World Cup 2002 by scoring that goal against Turkey.

It's a sad day, but it's a day that had to come. The criticism he has been getting has been unfair, people have forgotten the fact that he has done so much. But he is a human being he made mistakes but admitted he was at fault. I can't see many players who have been admired after leaving two clubs and playing for their archrivals later in their careers.

I'll just end by agreeing to what he said, 'foi lindo'. Meaning his career was beautiful, you just can't argue with that.

Zidane and Ronaldo are probably the two greats I have ever watched, you can talk about Messi and about CRonaldo. But these guys have a lot left to match what the other two did. Messi is at this stage maybe as good as Ronaldo was in his age. However, and I hope for the sake of football that Messi never has to live through what Ronaldo did with injuries.

as odd as it is to say what could have been with someone who achieved as much as he did you have to wonder what might have been if his body didn't break in as many ways as it did, perhaps the best striker i've seen in my lifetime (him or shearer)

as odd as it is to say what could have been with someone who achieved as much as he did you have to wonder what might have been if his body didn't break in as many ways as it did, perhaps the best striker i've seen in my lifetime (him or shearer)

Shearer is no doubt the best striker to have graced the English game in the 90's. But I still feel it's odd to compare him to Ronaldo, a three time world player of the year winner. A player who played 2 world cup finals, who is the greatest scorer of all time in World Cups.

Don't get me wrong, Shearer is one of my favorite strikers of all time due to his loyalty and goalscoring abilities.

But Ronaldo was just a level above him and the rest.

Ronaldo was on a different level to anybody.  Super strength, pace, skill, trickery, he had absolutely everything.  We will not see anyone like him (who isn't a cheap imitation) for awhile.  Those of us who have seen him play should count ourselves extremely lucky.  

I'm a lot sadder than I expected to be.  

His goal scoring levels harken back to another time when the best were so much better than the shittier teams they played.  What is extraordinary is that Ronaldo did it in the modern era.  Fucking unbelievable.  And as much as I like Messi, he will never be such a physical force of nature like Ronaldo.  A fucking battering ram who also had the intelligence to outwit the best defenders.  Outmuscle or outwit, he could kill you with both.

His goal scoring levels harken back to another time when the best were so much better than the shittier teams they played.  What is extraordinary is that Ronaldo did it in the modern era.  f***ing unbelievable.  And as much as I like Messi, he will never be such a physical force of nature like Ronaldo.  A f***ing battering ram who also had the intelligence to outwit the best defenders.  Outmuscle or outwit, he could kill you with both.

Jorge Valdano once said after hugging him "It's like he wears a suit of armor". His strength and power at his peak were scary.

I was lucky enough to see Maradonna at his peak. Before that Pele and Best were considered the best of all time. In latter years only Zidane and Ronaldo could touch those guys. Ronaldo was the ultimate forward, no one else has come close in this generation.