Ronaldo

M4

as a footballer, yes, Ronaldo was levels above.  But Shearer had a quality that separated him from everybody else.  It was that immense force of will.  Reminded me of watching Michael Jordan play in his heyday.  This is what makes Shearer one of the best strikers I have seen in my 35 years.  There were certainly players with more physical ability.  But they ended up paling in comparison to his iron resolve.

That said, in his prime, Ronaldo had it all.  And as legendary as Shearer is, and legendary he is, Ronaldo always was a step up.  To say he was levels above Shearer, however, is a bit of hyperbole.  The difference is more between Maradona and Platini.   

A very good player but imo,maybe over rated.

The best striker I've seen is Van Basten,between 87 and 88,he was just unplayable.A crying shame injury blighted and curtailed his career,and had it not have done so,I suspect we wouldn't be rating Ronaldo quite so highly.

The best striker I've seen is Van Basten,between 87 and 88,he was just unplayable.A crying shame injury blighted and curtailed his career,and had it not have done so,I suspect we wouldn't be rating Ronaldo quite so highly.

I really don't see how when Ronaldo was at his peak you can call him overrated. Pace, power, precision, skill, flair, movement, clinicality - he had it all.

Ronaldo was several levels above Shearer, as a footballer and a striker.

As a goalscorer, Shearer trumps the tranny-fiddler.

What a load of rubbish.

:lol: Admittedly, one didn't witness Ronaldo in his "prime", but Shearer delivered more consistently over a longer period of time in worse teams.

Van Basten as a pure striker was almost perfection. But Ronaldo added running power and dribbling skill to all that. He was like two players in one.

His goal scoring levels harken back to another time when the best were so much better than the shittier teams they played.  What is extraordinary is that Ronaldo did it in the modern era.  f***ing unbelievable.  And as much as I like Messi, he will never be such a physical force of nature like Ronaldo.  A f***ing battering ram who also had the intelligence to outwit the best defenders.  Outmuscle or outwit, he could kill you with both.

Ronaldo is a better physical specimen than Messi but so is C.Ronaldo arguably, doesn't mean he is a better player.  If you were arguing that, which I'm not sure you were, anyway....

What a load of rubbish.

:lol: Admittedly, one didn't witness Ronaldo in his "prime", but Shearer delivered more consistently over a longer period of time in worse teams.

420 goals in 620 games is absolutely astonishing.

and no, I am not likening them to those two.  Wildly different players.  Just between abilities.  Platini is an absolute legend, but Maradona was clearly better.  In the end, I agree with TRon.  The comparisons will never favor Shearer.  But who gives a shit?  I wish I had a quarter of the ability of either. 

There's clearly room for both players.  And I consider myself immensely fortunate to have seen Ronaldo and Shearer live.

What a load of rubbish.

420 goals in 620 games is absolutely astonishing.

It's not shabby. There's no doubt that Ronaldo was the greater all-round player but, imo, Shearer was a better finisher.

Ronaldo will rightly go down as one of the greats. How many goals would he have scored playing for Southampton, Blackburn, Newcastle and England? Who knows  :shifty:

Well in the scheme of things,people are saying he's the greatest ever.

I think that's people over rating him.

As a striker he was very good,but no better than Van Basten at their best.

As far as all round players go,nobody touches Zizou,imo.

Well in the scheme of things,people are saying he's the greatest ever.

I think that's people over rating him.

As a striker he was very good,but no better than Van Basten at their best.

As far as all round players go,nobody touches Zizou,imo.

Zidane was brilliant, but he couldn't do it on his own like Ronaldo could. Zidane performed better with great players around him, those who he could pick a pass for etc.

Ronaldo didn't need great players around him as he could demolish teams all on his own.

I don't agree with the Platini and Maradona comparison either. Platini is regarded in the upper echelons of players to have played the game. Shearer isn't.

Shearer is widely regarded as the best striker to ever play in the PL. Sometimes we forget how good players in this country are for me Dalglish is better Platini.

I am not comparing Shearer to Ronaldo as I think Ronaldo is one of the world greatest ever players.

Tooj, I wasn't comparing the two.  I was comparing the difference in their overall status in the game.  I would not put Ronaldo up there with Maradona.  Nor would I put Shearer up there with Platini.  Both sets completely different players.

I was making the point that Ronaldo is one step above Shearer, as Maradona is one step above Platini.  Having been fortunate to see Platini play, I even have trouble saying Zidane was superior to him.  I still regard Platini as the best player France has ever produced. 

Ronaldo falls into the second tier legends category for me.  1st tier would be Pele, Maradona, and distantly Cruyff. 

Then you have the Beckenbauer's, Platini's Ronaldo's, van Basten's, Zidane's, Rivelino's, Zico's...and I'd even throw in Cubillas here

Shearer is in the 3rd tier with the Laudrup's, Neeskens, Tigana's, Klinsmann's...     

They're different types of player though Tooj.Zidane was a magician,unrivalled by any other midfielder I've seen,whereas Ronaldo has strikers who can compare with him.Van Basten and possibly even Batistuta.

However the best team I've seen,Brazil 82 lacked one thing and that was a striker.Perish the thought what Ronaldo would've added to that side.