Ronaldo

M4

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/08/ronaldo-emotional-farewell-brazil-romania

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/SPORT/Pix/pictures/2011/6/8/1307527764224/Ronaldo-007.jpg

Ronaldo's career with Brazil's national team has come to an emotional end with a brief appearance in a friendly against Romania. He came on in the 30th minute and played until half-time, when there was a ceremony to mark his 18-year career.

The 34-year-old retired in February having represented Brazil in four World Cups – picking up two winner's medals of them – and remains the competition's all-time leading scorer with 15 goals.

He could not mark his farewell appearance with a goal but one of his successors in the national side, Fred, sealed the 1-0 win in Sao Paolo.

Ronaldo had a couple of opportunities but could not match Fred's precision, after the latter scored in the 21st minute.

He told the crowd: "I had chances to score. Sorry for not finishing them correctly. Thanks to all of you for what you did in my career. When I cried, you cried with me. When I smiled, you smiled with me. See you soon, but on the sidelines this time. I'm very proud of being Brazilian."

Is Fred never returning to Europe? Only 27.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/08/ronaldo-emotional-farewell-brazil-romania

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/SPORT/Pix/pictures/2011/6/8/1307527764224/Ronaldo-007.jpg

Ronaldo's career with Brazil's national team has come to an emotional end with a brief appearance in a friendly against Romania. He came on in the 30th minute and played until half-time, when there was a ceremony to mark his 18-year career.

The 34-year-old retired in February having represented Brazil in four World Cups – picking up two winner's medals of them – and remains the competition's all-time leading scorer with 15 goals.

He could not mark his farewell appearance with a goal but one of his successors in the national side, Fred, sealed the 1-0 win in Sao Paolo.

Ronaldo had a couple of opportunities but could not match Fred's precision, after the latter scored in the 21st minute.

He told the crowd: "I had chances to score. Sorry for not finishing them correctly. Thanks to all of you for what you did in my career. When I cried, you cried with me. When I smiled, you smiled with me. See you soon, but on the sidelines this time. I'm very proud of being Brazilian."

Probably on more money & getting more prestige in Brazil.

Probably on more money & getting more prestige in Brazil.

More money, I would of thought Lyon would of paid more. Is Brazil football a bit more flush than what it used to be?

Yer. Brazilian currency is strong atm, which is why many players are heading back.

Lack of ambition too. I don't think players like Fred see the need to go to Europe when they can stay at home and get paid decent money anyway, especially now Menezes seems quite committed to selecting players playing in the Brazilian league.

Undoubtedly the best player I've seen during my lifetime.

Such an awful shame he was struck down by serious injuries.

Farewell the Ronaldo. Eat, sleep, and be merry. And then maybe eat some more.

I still got more of a thrill watching Ronaldo muscle a defender and latch on to a through ball than I do seeing Messi dribble around people and score. Maybe because I was younger then, or I wanted to play centre forward myself.

Amazing player, thought he would've been the best player for a while but he's been completely overshadowed by Messi.

Nah, maybe in this country. On a wider scale he'll never be overshadowed by Messi, ever.

Amazing player, thought he would've been the best player for a while but he's been completely overshadowed by Messi.

Nah, maybe in this country. On a wider scale he'll never be overshadowed by Messi, ever.

What do you mean in this country?  He's a better player full stop.  Only those who are Brazilian or biased would disagree.

The fact that you say he will never be overshadowed pretty much shows that you fall into the biased camp.

i was initially gonna chelp at what ronaldo said but i somehow think he's right, messi's too clean cut and harder to love - ronaldo was just a force of nature that went out too quickly

it's probably an age thing too, how old you were when ronaldo was in his pomp

messi is and will be the better all round player imo though

What do you mean in this country?  He's a better player full stop.  Only those who are Brazilian or biased would disagree.

The fact that you say he will never be overshadowed pretty much shows that you fall into the biased camp.

Bias has nothing to do with what's there on paper, and on paper Messi hasn't achieved as much as Ronaldo, yet.

Plus, you're 12 years old, how do you know who the better player is/was?

Bias has nothing to do with what's there on paper, and on paper Messi hasn't achieved as much as Ronaldo, yet.

How old are you then?  Just to clear this up because you seem to offer an opinion on every player from the 1970s onwards.

How old are you then?  Just to clear this up because you seem to offer an opinion on every player from the 1970s onwards.

Like who?