Nicky Butt

Heron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

He's probably alright as a bit part player (Ipswich away sticks in my mind when he was decent) but we still need to bin him this summer: and I think Hughton will.

This, pretty much.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired either.

Ash, today we needed a player to come in and perform a defensive role in our midfield. Butt was the only player capable of doing so at our disposal.

Disagree. We were struggling to create things which is what allowed them to build so much pressure during that spell. Bringing on Butt invited more pressure because we then began to stick back. In my opinion, bringing on an attacking option (to replace Pancrate) would have been a better idea.

I agree that Pancrate should have been replaced and a player brought on to aid with retaining momentum when in possession (as well as creating more / offering a better final delivery), but adding the extra midfielder, for me, was essential. Unfortunately, the only option was Nicky.

For all we know, CH might have brought R.Taylor on to bolster the midfield, but obviously he was needed to plug the gap at the back. I'd agree with some of the Butt-bashers and Hughton-bashers if we had a Barton, or a Smith on the bench.

Constantly lost the ball today, but made a few important challenges to be fair. all in all, get rid in summer.

His most important challenge today was the one he shouldn't have made, at least he'll be gone within 2 months.

There is no way Nicky Butt will be at NUFC next season.

1. His contract expires in the Summer.

2. He's on huge wages. Mike Ashley wouldn't sanction a contract extension paying Butt even half of what he's currently on.

3. At the start of the season he hinted he will probably retire at the end of the season.

4. Hughton rarely picks him to play in the Championship so assuming we get promoted he'd never get a game in the Premiership.

Only 11 more potential Newcastle appearances for him to go.

No. I hope the c*** retires because I dont hate any set of fans nearly enough for them to have to suffer his awful attempts at tackling and Beckham-esque switches of play. I like to blame him for our decline since he got here purely because he's so unlikable.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6074215,00.html

Butt ponders future

Magpies midfielder eyes coaching role

Last updated: 4th April 2010

Nicky Butt does not expect to be playing for Newcastle next season and is considering retiring.

The veteran midfielder has already given thought to calling time on his illustrious career at the end of the current campaign after 18 years in football.

But the 35-year-old has sought advice from ex-players and coaches who have insisted he should stay in the game beyond the 2009/2010 season.

And Butt, who featured in the Magpies' 3-2 win over Peterborough on Saturday to put them on the brink of a Premier League return, remains undecided on whether to hang up his boots.

"To be honest, I don't know whether I want to play on or not," the former Manchester United and England man told the Daily Star Sunday. "If I do it might be here or at a lower level.

"It might be that I go into coaching, I've done my first two coaching badges and I'm halfway through the A licence.

"All the old pros and managers say 'play as long as you can'. I want to try and play as long as I can.

"But I want to enjoy it, not just train, get paid and travel all round the country and watch football.

"I think I will be struggling to get a Premier League club. If I do not continue with this club, it will be in the Championship - unless I get lucky!"

Hope he f***s right off. I don't see what he offers as a coach; shocking leader, shocking footballer.

Exactly mate. He's never taught himself to pass or control a ball so how can be expected to teach anyone else.

Thanks for nothing and fuck off please.

Sheff Wed away was the best game i've seen him play for us in 3 years. Simply because he was so bad, the result was secondary to the fantastic laugh I had each time he went near the ball, especially right on the final whistle. :lol:

More importantly, how do you know he hasn't? :razz:

I heard he was s*** stirring but can't remember where that came from.

Maybe another shit stirrer, or maybe you misheard? :razz:

Guest neesy111

it's no suprise the last time we finished in the top half was when souness fucked him off to the brummies