MLS 2010

Kaizero

You've seen my pic, non?

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25622_759526341575_61406985_45576349_6436360_n.jpg

Kiss my badge.

I like that kit a lot. Nicer than Addidas ever put together for NUFC. The pose is quite ridiculous, though.

Jealousy.

I'm not sure that the powers that be would ever do a promotion/relegation system for MLS/soccer in America but there has been a lot of buzz about it over the past few years from purists who are more and more getting involved with soccer in America.  This whole debacle with the USL/NASL might be just the distraction needed to get this kind of system off the ground though, especially if they can work out a way where teams won't be too affected by being relegated (the only one the owners might agree).  Another issue will be that MLS learned from their first go-round and want to expand the newest incarnation very slowly (unlike last time where they didn't and ended up imploding themselves).  Like I said, I don't know if it'll happen I just wouldn't be totally surprised for the whole situation right now with competing brands to MLS to turn into some form of a new MLS structure.

I think there will be promotion and relegation eventually. Probably not for 10+ years, though.

Haway the Crew!

How is that Nigerian kid Ekpo? He looked decent in the Olympics.

It's so difficult to tell how good people actually are when watching MLS. He looked decent, skilful, not a world-beater. Decision-making not always the best.

The MLS has enough problem keeping the teams viable and successful (wll not successful, but alive) without random, no mark second divison teams filling up the top division.

Sounds familiar, tbh.

MLS continues with it's slow (I assume) growth, and it will be alright.

Haway the Crew!

How is that Nigerian kid Ekpo? He looked decent in the Olympics.

It's so difficult to tell how good people actually are when watching MLS. He looked decent, skilful, not a world-beater. Decision-making not always the best.

I think if you look hard enough you'll be able to tell who's good enough to make it outside the MLS. Solely just looking at technical ability, which the MLS lacks, if people are getting by other players easily and the like, just look at how ugly if it is. It's pretty easy to tell if one player is that bar, or the other is that good.

Sometimes I envy the MLS having the same teams year in and year out. That way you at least avoid the Wigan's, Hull's and the Bolton's coming up and stinking up the place.

It stops little clubs from becoming big clubs though and keeps each big club at the top and means the rest of the league has nothing to play for, abit like the SPL where 1 of 2 teams always win it and the team promoted usually goes back down and everyone else usually finishes in the same position as the year before with similar results from the last season. Giving teams at the bottom something to play for is great, I mean how many times do teams fighting relegation battles get points against teams at the top?, a lot the answer is and it upsets the balance of the league, it's really something the MLS should look at in the future.

They might have crap stadiums in some cases, but these aren't small areas in Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, Montreal etc.

A promotion/relegation structure is going to mean a financial hit for the team that goes down obviously.  But you can work out some sort of revenue sharing for the first three years to keep the bottom clubs afloat.  And in the long run, it brings a much larger market for the league.  The MLS can't remain a closed club.  Not when you have an essentially suburban area like Columbus with a pro team and a massive Hispanic (and football mad) market like Miami or Puerto Rico without one. 

We did have an MLS team - Miami Fusion. Nobody went to the games.

New York red bulls are a joke!

I went to watch them last year.  We notice there was a fan section were they were singing and going mental.  Me and my mate thought it would be more fun there.  We went over and they would not let us in that section of the ground as we had the wrong ticket (Mine cost $10 more)

Obviously this lass was doing here job so i asked to speak to a manager.  A few guys came out from the stand who were members of the supports club.  They said it would be fine to come in and wished NYRB had more fans like us.  The spoke to the woman on the door and she seemed fine.

So we go down to some seats and a guy in a suit soon asks us to leave the area.  To their credit the NY fans sitting with us kicked off saying this is the one of the reasons they have such shit support.  Its all fine though as the man in black explained that i could sit there next time i come.  Guess he failed to under stand that i had come over from England for 1 week, despite me telling him about 10 times.

In the end we went and sat with a fat kid with a drum who looked upset by my New Jersey pin badge.

I went to watch them last year.  We notice there was a fan section were they were singing and going mental.  Me and my mate thought it would be more fun there.  We went over and they would not let us in that section of the ground as we had the wrong ticket (Mine cost $10 more)

Obviously this lass was doing here job so i asked to speak to a manager.  A few guys came out from the stand who were members of the supports club.  They said it would be fine to come in and wished NYRB had more fans like us.  The spoke to the woman on the door and she seemed fine.

So we go down to some seats and a guy in a suit soon asks us to leave the area.  To their credit the NY fans sitting with us kicked off saying this is the one of the reasons they have such s*** support.  Its all fine though as the man in black explained that i could sit there next time i come.  Guess he failed to under stand that i had come over from England for 1 week, despite me telling him about 10 times.

In the end we went and sat with a fat kid with a drum who looked upset by my New Jersey pin badge.

did exactly the same, and exactly the same sort of thing happened!  We just sat and loudly over-analysed the game, much to the confusion of a group of locals sat in front who seemed to think we were taking it far too seriously.

watched seattle v phili  on foreign sat channel  last night Friday, (swmbo at work )the feed came from ESPN appeared to be good support at the game and a reasonable level of football sorry soccer, maybe an option for the Black& Whites to use the MLS as a feeder.

So we go down to some seats and a guy in a suit soon asks us to leave the area.  To their credit the NY fans sitting with us kicked off saying this is the one of the reasons they have such s*** support.  Its all fine though as the man in black explained that i could sit there next time i come.  Guess he failed to under stand that i had come over from England for 1 week, despite me telling him about 10 times.

did exactly the same, and exactly the same sort of thing happened!  We just sat and loudly over-analysed the game, much to the confusion of a group of locals sat in front who seemed to think we were taking it far too seriously.

That's possibly the dumbest thing about going to American sports. There have been a few times I'd be at are local NFL stadium for college bowl or championship games, and with 5 or so minutes left we'd try to move maybe 5 rows up because everyone had left. But still, they wouldn't let us go, not sure we're hurting in that situation, but oh well.

It's worse if it happens at a supporters section too, that's supposed to be for anyone.

Whats the attendances like across the board in the league there ?

About 20k a game I think, which isn't bad when you ask the question of how many urn out for American sports over here.

Average last season was 16k. Although the newer teams like Sounders and Toronto did far more than that.

http://i41.tinypic.com/icpr1w.png

Our ground (BMO Field, in Toronto) only holds 20,344, for the record.  I have a season's tickets, but give most away to clients.  There are some rabid supporters of the club, though.  Pretty fanatical actually, for such shit football. 

LA's (Home Depot Center) capacity is only 27,000 and its a complete pain getting there so that statistic is pretty good for the Galaxy. Took a wrong turn last time I went and ended up driving through Compton... dodgy.

New York has 8 million people, and the Red Bulls only attract 12k every week... the Giants stadium was a pain in the ass to reach though, the new stadium is more easily accessed with public transportation.

fucking tell me about it!  Especially when I looked online before we went and there was supposedly a direct bus from Port Authority.  Went there, asked at a desk where we got it and were told they stopped running that service a few months beforehand!  Ended up having to get a train from Penn Station to Seacaucus (didn't even know what train we were getting on as a ticket inspector wouldn't tell us, rude bastard) then a bus from there to Giants Stadium.  Was a right carry on!

LA's (Home Depot Center) capacity is only 27,000 and its a complete pain getting there so that statistic is pretty good for the Galaxy. Took a wrong turn last time I went and ended up driving through Compton... dodgy.

Fucking right, our cab driver almost didn't even get us there. Got half off on the fare though, since he'd been fucking about for ages trying to find the way. :lol: