Sunderland...

Heron

Solid, but not spectacular. Should secure their Premier League status next season, but I don't think they'll do much more than they have this season; very similar to us tbh. I'd be excited about Wickham if it were us.

I'd say it's actually quite a different situation to you. You're the ones with a team that is able to significantly improve upon your position last season whereas Sunderland seem content to stand still and consolidate.

With our squad as it stands I don't think we'll do better than last season, personally.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Love the way that some of the filth are working themselves up into a frenzy on the Dirty Green Mags thread by ranting on about how the Fairs Cup win was irrelevant.

One of them is even using a UEFA.com "beta" page to present his "facts" now. :D

It rankles with them.... GOOD!

If you know anything about football - you know that The Fairs cup was a highly respected trophy - much more respected than the Europa League tbh.

Solid, but not spectacular. Should secure their Premier League status next season, but I don't think they'll do much more than they have this season; very similar to us tbh. I'd be excited about Wickham if it were us.

I'd say it's actually quite a different situation to you. You're the ones with a team that is able to significantly improve upon your position last season whereas Sunderland seem content to stand still and consolidate.

With our squad as it stands I don't think we'll do better than last season, personally.

Granted, I've assumed you'll add a striker before the season. Of course, no-one really knows until the transfer window shuts but if you gave me the choice as to which side has more potential to progress and make a real improvement this season then for me, it's a no-brainer.

Love the way that some of the filth are working themselves up into a frenzy on the Dirty Green Mags thread by ranting on about how the Fairs Cup win was irrelevant.

One of them is even using a UEFA.com "beta" page to present his "facts" now. :D

It rankles with them.... GOOD!

If you know anything about football - you know that The Fairs cup was a highly respected trophy - much more respected than the Europa League tbh.

Again, considering it resides proudly in the camp nou and sits in Barca's trophy role of honour is good enough for me.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Over 130'000 turned up (aggregate)for the semi finals against Rangers - so it was kind of a  big deal.

Guest johnson293

I don't think I've ever read a page on RTG which doesn't include someone telling a mag to fuck off or some other lovely comment.

Aye, considering they're supposed to be 'North East Top Dogs' and we 'live in their shadow' now, there is clearly still a very high level of bitterness from them towards us on there.

Strange. It's almost like their inferiority complex is still very much alive and well in almost every one of them.

'A mag at work yesterday actually came up to me and congatulated me on our recent signings and said we'd done some very business while making vast improvements to our already decent squad.

Good old M.A.W makes an apperance again :lol:  I imagine him as a semi-transparent guy in a top hat and a toon shirt sitting on the shoulder of every RTG poster as they chat away to him while people on the bus slowly edge away from the loon talking to himelf.

'A mag at work yesterday actually came up to me and congatulated me on our recent signings and said we'd done some very business while making vast improvements to our already decent squad.

Good old M.A.W makes an apperance again :lol:  I imagine him as a semi-transparent guy in a top hat and a toon shirt sitting on the shoulder of every RTG poster as they chat away to him while people on the bus slowly edge away from the loon talking to himelf.

:lol:

;D

Guest Haris Vuckic

I share your vision.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2l9nkp0.jpg

Now you try  :bluestar:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2eft0s9.jpg

Good old M.A.W makes an apperance again :lol:  I imagine him as a semi-transparent guy in a top hat and a toon shirt sitting on the shoulder of every RTG poster as they chat away to him while people on the bus slowly edge away from the loon talking to himelf.

I share your vision.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2l9nkp0.jpg

Now you try  :bluestar:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2eft0s9.jpg

:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

How highly rated is he in the context of South Korean football?

Simultaneously our second-choice center-forward(we play one up front) and one of our brightest youth prospects, so pretty highly.

He usually plays better for the national team than at club level though. Won rookie of the year in his debut season but had a pretty dire half-season this year before he was sold.

http://www.rokerreport.com/2011/7/4/2257410/getting-to-know-ji-dong-won-a-korean-insight

So Ji Dong-Won has joined Sunderland. What can you tell us about him?

Kim: He's a natural-born striker. Good at scoring with his head and feet, he is a versatile player who can play wide positions - we can say he is a Korean Raul Gonzales (Real Madrid). His weakness is fitness. Still, he is a young player, so he would expect to learn how to handle it in England.

If you were to compare him to any forward currently playing in the Premier League or elsewhere in Europe, who would it be?

Kim: As I mentioned above, Raul Gonzales is a similar player to him in style. Well balanced and scores goals consistently - although his nickname here was "Gwangyang-man (Gwanyang Bay) Rooney"

Where does Ji currently rate amongst the top prospects in Asia and Korea specifically?

Kim: He is not the best striker in K-League but regarded as one of the most prominent young strikers. Many pundits and media regard him as the stand-out member of the 'next-generation' Korean national team.

Ji emerged from the recent Asia Games with many positive headlines. As a result of his performances in the competition, would you say he has now established himself as an important part of the Korean national team?

Kim: He is not a starting eleven player for Korean national team quite yet. Particularly, his performance for the Korean Olympics(U-23) team against Jordan was frustrating.

Although he is moving to Sunderland, Ji Dong-Won should get more national team games and prove his worth again. He is one of the best players available to the team.

Sunderland have had a rough time with integrating South Americans into the Premier League of late due to the league's physically demanding nature. Would you consider Dong-Won likely to be able to adapt to English football?

Kim: Of course there could be a fitness problem but he already knows what English football is through early parts of his life when he was a youth player at Reading. Moreover, it is a great opportunity to improve himself as a player.

Was there any surprise in Korea that Sunderland were able to sign the player ahead of the likes of PSV and Schalke?

Kim: Actually, Korean football fans regard the English Premier League as the top flight of world football. Like any Asian fans you know, they prefer the 'big clubs'. If Ki Sueng-Yong of Celtic, for example, had a chance to move to Sunderland, they would say 'yes, you should move'.

According to reports PSV, who had Korean Football heroes like Park Ji-Sung, Lee Young-Pyo and Guus Hiddink, was the big challenger to Sunderland but most people say it is good move for him.

Sunderland are not noted for being a club with any great global appeal or interest, but is the acquisition of Dong-Won likely to generate a new and fervent interest in the club in Korea?

Kim: Koreans are well-known for their nationalism, although it only applies for the nationwide representatives like Park Ji-Sung, Kim Yeona and Park Chu-Young. They worship them. A great example being loyal Manchester United Korean fans who hung the banner 'Here is another Old Trafford' on the Seoul World Cup Stadium.

So, as long as Ji Dong-Won's name is in the starting eleven, Sunderland will be loved by Koreans. Of course, at the same time, the Black Cats need to be towards the top of the league, or they would just say "Ji should move to the bigger clubs".