Sunderland...

Heron

I don't have a problem with all the money he spent at Villa - he was rebuilding a squad. The main issue with all the players he bought was that (a) their wages were massive (b) he ended up feuding with/not playing many of them © he didn't have viable exit plans for them, he just expected the owners to cough up more. Lerner told him to take some responsibility for them, so he quit.

I can't see him taking the Sunderland job without the owners promising him money. Does anyone know off the top of their head how their finances are?

Best way I can think to explain their finances is think of sunderland like a bucket with holes in, with Ellis Short pissing in it, soon he will need some more liquid if he is to generate more piss.

I don't have a problem with all the money he spent at Villa - he was rebuilding a squad. The main issue with all the players he bought was that (a) their wages were massive (b) he ended up feuding with/not playing many of them © he didn't have viable exit plans for them, he just expected the owners to cough up more. Lerner told him to take some responsibility for them, so he quit.

I can't see him taking the Sunderland job without the owners promising him money. Does anyone know off the top of their head how their finances are?

Someone mentioned that the mackems are actually losing about £30 million a year.

Guest johnson293

They mentioned this on Total Sport last night - people had been saying Bruce spent all their money - but when they worked it out with incoming fees (Bent, Jones, Gyan loan fee, etc) the net spend was only a few million.

That doesn't account for wages like - and you'd need to be paid a fortune to play for that shower!

The reason he built up such a massive wage bill - or one of them - was that our entire scouting network consisted of one man, Ian Storey-Moore. Genuinely, zero scouting network. When he came, he was supposed to set all that up, but didn't bother.

So what he'd do would be to shop in the UK, players he knew, and usually wait till the last minute, insuring we got raped on transfer fee and wages. It really was lazy and dereliction of duty.

There's a piece by Pat Murphy which really is a perfect example of how the media will ignore all this, though. It's infuriating.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that he's learnt a few things from his time at Villa and therefore might not make the same mistakes regarding spending, scouting and so on? Pardew seems to have done so.

Obviously I hope he's an unmitigated disaster, but I think some are getting a bit carried away. He's a decent manager, they've got an average squad. I can't see it being all downhill.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that he's learnt a few things from his time at Villa and therefore might not make the same mistakes regarding spending, scouting and so on? Pardew seems to have done so.

Possibly, but Pardew is very much a younger man whereas O'Neill is old school. He hasn't altered in 20 years in management so far.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It won't be long till managers and coaching staff don't get guaranteed contracts like that. The payouts are stupid considering most coaching regimes don't last longer than 18 months. As more of the old guard retire and fade away from the top of the game, the younger managers and coaching staff will end up replacing them on rolling deals.

You'll perhaps get 1 or 2 TOP TOP Managers getting extended contracts.