Sunderland...

Heron

Guest Wearside

Yes but the point is at the time you never ever heard Newcastle fans worried about how much they were spending and now all we hear is about how "we are living beyond our means".

I'm a football fan,most football fans are not interested in what the financial implications are as long as the clubs not going to go under and I can't ever recall supporters being so interested in the financial side as what happens these days,it's definitely a recent thing,maybe the Portsmouth and Leeds situation opened peoples eyes,I don't no.

Yes but the point is at the time you never ever heard Newcastle fans worried about how much they were spending and now all we hear is about how "we are living beyond our means".

I'm a football fan,most football fans are not interested in what the financial implications are as long as the clubs not going to go under and I can't ever recall supporters being so interested in the financial side as what happens these days,it's definitely a recent thing,maybe the Portsmouth and Leeds situation opened peoples eyes,I don't no.

I suggest you take a look at some threads from a few years back, everyone was acknowledging that Shepherd had us fucked.

It's because finances were never as bad.

Nail on head

Of the £100m Short has spent on the club, £77m has been used to clear debt. I would have to agree with Wearside, but only if he continues to wipe the debt clear.

SAFC's turnover rose slightly to £65.4m, but wages, at a staggering £53.7m, account for 82 percent of that figure.

How much longer can Short put up with this? Ticket sales are also down to £12.6m (no surprise there) so the fans obviously feel their team are underperforming.

Nobody knows how long he will keep doing it,all we can go on is that he has gave no indication it's likely to stop soon and he is not putting the club at risk because he just converts the debt into shares.

What Sunderland are doing is no different to what Chelsea and Man City are doing(smaller scale obviously) in that they are being bank rolled by billionaires and if they stop putting the cash in then the buying stops immediately.

Incedentially how Newcastle were worried when the Halls and Shepherds were doing exactly the same at Newcastle?seems like sour grapes to me.

I'm sure Short will come to his senses and realise he's more chance of catching diarrhea in his hands than making a profit on blunderland.

Do they really think they have healthy finances? :lol:

Probably one of the healthiest clubs in the league financially,our owner swallows all of our debts and we are virtually debt free.

til he gives up and sells his shares- to somebody who borrows to buy them- your in debt.

"Incedentially how Newcastle were worried when the Halls and Shepherds were doing exactly the same at Newcastle?seems like sour grapes to me."

"Yes but the point is at the time you never ever heard Newcastle fans worried about how much they were spending and now all we hear is about how "we are living beyond our means"."

So which is it? Were we worried or not?  ???

And if SAFC were my club, god forbid, then i would most definitely be worried about our financial dealings and the current situation.

What would happen if Short got sick (if he already isn't) of the lack of results compared to the large financial outlay and stopped pumping that money into the club?

Your situation points to a serious problem in the financial infrastructure of your club i'm afraid.

The worrying thing for the Mackems is there does not appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel

Their team is shite, they have a lot of loan players, their manager is hated by the fans and the fans are not turning up in the numbers that Quinny so desperately wants

They are making a loss every year and there will come a point when Short thinks fuck it

We on the other hand are at least looking a bit more positive, the next accounts of ours should show a profit

So the transfer kitty will either be used to sack Bruce and his staff, or be given to 'transfer guru' Bruce to waste? Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me. Ultimately, even if Sunderland do finish above us, they expected to finish miles ahead of us and they haven't. Is finishing 2 points (at most) ahead of your newly promoted rivals a success? Regardless, it'll be a fascinating summer.

Guest johnson293

I agree that you are not the only club to welcome this style, but that doesn't mean it is the correct way to run a club does it?

And why do you continually resort to comparing your situation to a time in the history of NUFC in your posts?

"Yes Sunderland do this, but remember when NUFC did this?" I don't see your point with this tbh.

Aye, I'd noticed that too - every comeback makes reference to something we have done before.

The differing fortunes of the two clubs since the new year is very much a tale of two managers if you ask me.

One who tediously churned out excuse after excuse during a tough period and seemed prepared to demoralise his players before they even got on the pitch, in order to portray himself as an unfortunate victim and selfishly shore up his own position.

Another who never once bemoaned his own luck, who praised and encouraged fringe players in his threadbare squad and got crucial results against the odds when they were most needed.

A good piece by Bird, which reports that even when their injury list was at it's worst they still had a full complement of experienced players to choose from - players the manager himself had brought to the club - but instead of getting on with the job he was too busy getting his excuses out in advance to protect himself.

I watched them about 5 times before Christmas and truth is I thought they looked pretty poor back then despite some decent results. They were never particularly convincing.

Instead of dismissing the 5-1 derby mauling as a one off and ranting about revenge, league positions and victory tunes, Excuse might have been better off addressing his team of bottlers because that is what they ended the season looking like.

The differing fortunes of the two clubs since the new year is very much a tale of two managers if you ask me.

One who tediously churned out excuse after excuse during a tough period and seemed prepared to demoralise his players before they even got on the pitch, in order to portray himself as an unfortunate victim and selfishly shore up his own position.

Another who never once bemoaned his own luck, who praised and encouraged fringe players in his threadbare squad and got crucial results against the odds when they were most needed.

Glenn Roeder?  As Glen Roeder said, 'Glen Roeder doesn't blame injuries'.

Steve Bruce sounds like he's taken a look at the Graeme Souness book of management and read up well on the chapter 'Under Pressure? Blame Injuries' and the Mackems have bitten on it hook, line and sinker.

Good post.

Good post.

:thup:

good post but i wonder if pardews behaviour is less to do with his standard managerial style and as much to do with the circumstances surrounding his arrival and he knew those type of excuses would cut no ice regardless of how much of a point he'd have had. no doubt he would have chosen to come under differing circumstances but theres a chance it could have turned out a good thing for him.

Turn the tables and say Ben Arfa went to Sunderland (I know, I know :lol:) and the same events transpired. With one wonder goal under his belt and, what, 3 and a half games, if Sunderland fans were raving about him as much as Newcastle fans do - for whatever reasons - are you telling me there wouldn't be some pisstaking? From the outside looking in you can easily question why Newcastle fans seem to think he'll be so amazing.

And I'm not saying I don't think he's shown moments of class already in this league, but it's still very, very early days with him.

Turn the tables and say Ben Arfa went to Sunderland (I know, I know :lol:) and the same events transpired. With one wonder goal under his belt and, what, 3 and a half games, if Sunderland fans were raving about him as much as Newcastle fans do - for whatever reasons - are you telling me there wouldn't be some pisstaking? From the outside looking in you can easily question why Newcastle fans seem to think he'll be so amazing.

And I'm not saying I don't think he's shown moments of class already in this league, but it's still very, very early days with him.

the slight difference is that we are basing our idea of the player on what he has shown throughout his career as opposed to the last 3 games.

Yep.

the slight difference is that we are basing our idea of the player on what he has shown throughout his career as opposed to the last 3 games.

Yes, but again playing devil's advocate, given his rather bitter departures from his previous 2 clubs I can see why some outside NUFC wouldn't be fully convinced on him. How many are genuinely basing their opinion of him on what he did for Lyon and Marseille?

Yes, but again playing devil's advocate, given his rather bitter departures from his previous 2 clubs I can see why some outside NUFC wouldn't be fully convinced on him. How many are genuinely basing their opinion of him on what he did for Lyon and Marseille?

I think a lot are basing it on what he did before joining us, why else was this place about to explode when we were linked with him and then eventually signed him?