Sunderland...

Heron

Guest johnson293

Waved and blew kisses :lol:

That's fantastic - I thought maybe the bit about blowing kisses was just what some scamp had added to Wiki, but no...He does just that!!

Outstanding Trolling Mr Hill.

Guest johnson293

http://www.mask-arade.com/images/PosterAndTees/Jimmy%20Hill.jpg

:mike:

Wouldn't need to be 50k (though that would be brilliant)... Just enough, in numerous small crowds to be noticable.

I didn't know what the whole Coventry hatred was about, until I read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hill

Despite his surprise departure as manager in 1967, Hill returned to Coventry City as managing director in April 1975 before becoming the chairman. As chairman, at a crucial relegation match at home to Bristol City at the end of the 1976–77 season, Hill delayed the kick off by 10 minutes for fans still outside caught in the heavy traffic. Relegation rivals Sunderland, playing at Everton kicked off on time. Sunderland eventually lost the game 2–0. Knowing that all Coventry needed to stay up was a draw, the Sunderland result was flashed up on the scoreboard. Hill made his players pass the ball around in their own half for the last 10 minutes of the game, saving Coventry from relegation at the expense of Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur and Stoke City. Hill was never forgiven by Sunderland fans. In 2008 at a Fulham vs Sunderland game, Sunderland supporters spotted him standing yards away and reacted angrily with boos and abuse. When Hill waved and blew kisses, their anger escalated and he had to be led away by police for fear of starting a riot. Hill is still considered a legend by Coventry City fans.

He he, so its a grudge held against Jimmy Hill, since 1977?? :lol:

Got a new found respect for Chinny after that!

I was actually at the Bristol City game with my Dad, it did kick off late and Coventry were cruising at 2-0 up when the scoreboard at the Kop end of Highfield Road and the P.A. both announced the Everton- Mackems result. At that point Bristol City were relegated but they were managed by ex Coventry stalwart Alan Dicks, one of Chinny's players indeed.They soon scored twice to level which was good enough to keep both sides up. Indeed they spent the last 10 minutes passing the ball to each other and I remember Tommy Hutchison and Gerry Gow sitting in the centre circle chatting whilst the game was still on. Whether Jimmy Hill had got messages down to the pitch from the Director's box is another story, but Gordon Milne was the Coventry manager at the time, whilst Hill was Chairman.