Acceptable transfer budget

bealios

UV, Beye is now Villa's third choice RB, Viduka is god-knows-where, Owen is picking up his pay while bench warming for Man Utd, and Bassong is in and out of the Spurs team. Martins is doing OK in a poor division, and only Duff looks any good (and only when viewed through highlights).

The idea that the likes of Owen and Viduka would be 'just is hungry' is way off the mark.

You're right in that we still don't know whether our improvements are real or totally due to the opposition... but I see lots of reasons for optimism. Look at Boro, they haven't walked the division have they?

There's an awful lot of guff in this thread about the teamwork, hunger, passion, attitude, etc of the current squad compared to last year's. I'm pretty sure though without a decent bit of squad improvement in quality in the Summer the same people throwing those words around now will be reassessing those qualities a couple of months into next season (and no doubt Hughton or anyone critical of Ashley will be to blame for destroying it). It's easy to look like "a team" when the quality of the players alongside you are better than the opposition week in week out, and it's easy to show hunger and passion when you're top of the league. If Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff, Beye or Bassong had still been in the team now they'd have been just as much part of this great team spirit, and just as hungry with just as much to prove.

Certainly the uncertainty around the club and the 4 different managers would have negatively affected the team last season, and simply without that hindrance an inferior squad may do a bit better next season and stay up, but don't be delusional about how the apparent team spirit of a team currently winning week after week is going to make up for the lack of quality in the squad when it's losing more often than not. The lack of depth in the squad will also be more relevant next season when it will not be so easy to get emergency loans to cover for injuries.

I don't recall you doing so well in predicting how this season would turn out so as to who is talking guff we shall see.

I think UV makes a fair point that the teams attitude will be tested next year, but i'm confident we can over come it especially if we get some decent signings in. Hughton imo, has made some decent signings aside from Best and lets not forget Hughton can still improve, afterall this is his first season as a manager.

Does our current squad have less quality than the Wolves squad who at the moment look like staying up in the Premiership?

Look at where Birmingham are after their promotion from the Championship. You could easily argue that a lot of Birmingham's squad is made up of Championship players. Contrastingly, West Ham's squad is made up of Premiership players.

Team spirit can go a long way.

There's an awful lot of guff in this thread about the teamwork, hunger, passion, attitude, etc of the current squad compared to last year's. I'm pretty sure though without a decent bit of squad improvement in quality in the Summer the same people throwing those words around now will be reassessing those qualities a couple of months into next season (and no doubt Hughton or anyone critical of Ashley will be to blame for destroying it). It's easy to look like "a team" when the quality of the players alongside you are better than the opposition week in week out, and it's easy to show hunger and passion when you're top of the league and full of confidence. If Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff, Beye or Bassong had still been in the team now they'd have been just as much part of this great team spirit, and just as hungry with just as much to prove.

Certainly the uncertainty around the club and the 4 different managers would have negatively affected the team last season, and simply without that hindrance an inferior squad may do a bit better next season and stay up, but don't be delusional about how the apparent team spirit of a team currently winning week after week is going to make up for the lack of quality in the squad when it's losing more often than not. The lack of depth in the squad will also be more relevant next season when it will not be so easy to get emergency loans to cover for injuries.

pretty much spot on. I think Hughton probably recognises this as he said, when asked by Caulkin, that it's easy to have a good team spirit when you're top of the league.

Does our current squad have less quality than the Wolves squad who at the moment look like staying up in the Premiership?

Look at where Birmingham are after their promotion from the Championship. You could easily argue that a lot of Birmingham's squad is made up of Championship players. Contrastingly, West Ham's squad is made up of Premiership players.

Yeah, look at Hull last season.

I agree with this. There has been a tendency in recent days to dismiss the team spirit with an offhand remark that it's easy when you're winning, but my recollection of a premier side chock-full of internationals is that the lesser teams will beat the bigger, more expensive sides if the management and coaching isn't right.

The perfect example actually. Started out brilliantly and trailed off once the team started falling apart as a unit.

The perfect example actually. Started out brilliantly and trailed off once the team started falling apart as a unit.

Great example. Hull stayed up and the 'big' team (us) full of expensive 'superstars' went down. I'm not saying we don't need to add to the squad but people are blinded about wanting to spend big money on players. I'm hoping the scouting team find some cheap players who turn out to be good e.g. Williamson, Bassong, N'Zogbia, etc.

UV, Beye is now Villa's third choice RB, Viduka is god-knows-where, Owen is picking up his pay while bench warming for Man Utd, and Bassong is in and out of the Spurs team. Martins is doing OK in a poor division, and only Duff looks any good (and only when viewed through highlights).

The idea that the likes of Owen and Viduka would be 'just is hungry' is way off the mark.

You're right in that we still don't know whether our improvements are real or totally due to the opposition... but I see lots of reasons for optimism. Look at Boro, they haven't walked the division have they?

You're right about Beye & Viduka being past it for top flight football now of course, but when you said "I wouldn't swap the current team for the previous one. " I assumed you were talking about the players they were 1.5 years ago. Beye would probably have been in the team this year ahead of Simpson. As for your put down of the others, well do you thing Man U will be knocking on our door for our best striker Ameobi to sit on their bench or that Carroll will be getting assists in the Champions League anytime soon?

More to the point though, do you think we'd have stayed up last season if Ameobi, Carroll, Routledge, Simpson, and Williamson had been in the place of Owen, Martins, Duff, Beye and Bassong?

You're right about Beye & Viduka being past it for top flight football now of course, but when you said "I wouldn't swap the current team for the previous one. " I assumed you were talking about the players they were 1.5 years ago. Beye would probably have been in the team this year ahead of Simpson. As for your put down of the others, well do you thing Man U will be knocking on our door for our best striker Ameobi to sit on their bench or that Carroll will be getting assists in the Champions League anytime soon?

More to the point though, do you think we'd have stayed up last season if Ameobi, Carroll, Routledge, Simpson, and Williamson had been in the place of Owen, Martins, Duff, Beye and Bassong?

Even if we didn't we could have got relegated for a far cheaper price.

Owen and Viduka - hungry? :lol:

You don't get to play at the levels they have without being hungry.

You don't have to kiss the badge or run around chasing the ball like a 6 year old every game to be hungry either.

:lol: Yup, that's the benchmark we're aiming for these days.

Lovenkrands was a better player for us in the relegation run in last season then Owen.

As to you're question, Routledge over Duff, yes IMO.  Of course I'd go for Martins, Bassong and Beye over Carroll, Williamson and Simpson.  But I wouldn't want the likes of Owen or Viduka near the squad.

You don't have to kiss the badge or run around chasing the ball like a 6 year old every game to be hungry either.

Wether they were hungry or not in the past really means nothing to us though does it?  Neither of them were hungry to play for us last season and they certainly wouldn't be this season or next season.

Wether they were hungry or not in the past really means nothing to us though does it?  Neither of them were hungry to play for us last season and they certainly wouldn't be this season or next season.

That is true. Your not going to be hungry when you have already made it, and are on 100k or 60k a week.

That is true. Your not going to be hungry when you have already made it, and are on 100k or 60k a week.

I disagree. I don't think it's something you just switch on or off, and I don't think it has anything to do with money once your on over £10k/week, although some young players will lose some hunger as they mature or get distracted by the lifestyle, but they're typically the ones who show promise but don't make it.

Does this logic not also apply to Harper, Coloccini, Nolan, Smith, Barton, Butt and Gutierrez who are part of (if not the instigators of) this great team spirit?

If Owen was not still hungry would he not have used his name to get a cushy number in the States or some other footballing backwater rather than try to compete for a place at Man U?

:lol: Yup, that's the benchmark we're aiming for these days.

It's great you find it funny but seriously our superstars on mega wages got us relegated while inferior teams with far less well paid players stayed up.

It was the Ashley inspired chaos that sent us down, not Michael Owen.

Ashley was getting on the pitch preventing Owen from scoring? Sorry mate if you are picking up 100k a week or 60k or 80k like many of the superstar pros were last season then they could at least do their fucking job.