The "We Won't Win Another Game This Season" Fred aka Relegation-o-meter

Stu
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stu is spot on; the team still has a lot to do before it can start writing off the likes of Stoke and FulhamBlackpool as crap. Thankfully I dont think Hughton will fall into the trap of thinking teams with smaller support are going to be pushovers this season.

Don´t understand why I´m reading this forum everyday, it is just doom and gloom. One bad result and we are down. well we does not even have to play. it is enough that a team like Wigan, Stoke, West Brom, win there game or something and we are down. Give me a brake

the PL is close. everyone can basically beat everyone and that will happen.

we think that blackpool and west brom at home is the only games we can get points, the rest of them is unnecessary to play. read the everton thread for example. we lost to blackpool. why can´t we get a point at everton? we are not that bad.

btw. why are we unacceptable to win matches and no one else?

God, I wish I could stop reading this forum for the weekends.

Don´t understand why I´m reading this forum everyday, it is just doom and gloom. One bad result and we are down.

Yeah, but one good result and we're great again, there's an upside too!

absolutely

win vs Everton and the championship thread will bump

I think the first part of the season is really important as we seem to be playing a lot of our relegation rivals at home and the tougher teams away so if we are struggling badly come the New Year when that is reversed and we play the top teams at home and our relegation rivals away, I would start to worry.  That is one of the reasons why the Blackpool result was so disappointing for me as I feel we need to pick up as many points at home as we can.

West Brom have also started well and people who have watched them think they will stay up.  West Ham look dodgy at the moment but if they changed the manager and got someone like O'Neill in, I would be confident of them staying up.  Early days, but it looks like the relegation battle will be pretty competitive this year.

I think the first part of the season is really important as we seem to be playing a lot of our relegation rivals at home and the tougher teams away so if we are struggling badly come the New Year when that is reversed and we play the top teams at home and our relegation rivals away, I would start to worry.  That is one of the reasons why the Blackpool result was so disappointing for me as I feel we need to pick up as many points at home as we can.

West Brom have also started well and people who have watched them think they will stay up.  West Ham look dodgy at the moment but if they changed the manager and got someone like O'Neill in, I would be confident of them staying up.  Early days, but it looks like the relegation battle will be pretty competitive this year.

I couldn't agree more...

Guest Tall Striker

Spot on. We need to be a good ten points clear of our relegation rivals come Christmas.

Last time around we were unable to beat the likes of Stoke at home, or even take a point from others like Fulham at home. Almost every game was a bad result. This time around we just need to be able to hang onto to those 2 extra points at home to the likes of Stoke etc. I think 35 is not where the line for relegation is, however we need to look at around 40-45 and I think we are capable of getting that many points.

That's the most unsettling thing about the Blackpool result; the fact that it's achingly similar to those games at home to Hull, Wigan, Stoke, Mackems... the games which sent us down really.

But when you can highlight the comparison there... was there anything in 08/09 akin to the mauling of Villa, or even the determined result at Wolves? Maybe one or two, we got a couple of reasonable draws with JFK, but they were so obviously one-offs. Now we look like a team who can rightfully earn those sorts of victories now. I can't claim i expected us to knock six past Villa, but i do expect us to give those sorts of team performances. Two seasons ago, a good team performance came as a surprise more than anything.

It's early days and the Blackpool game has inevitably given us all a bit of a fright. However, i would veer away from making comparisons to last time - we're a completely different kettle of fish this year.

I'm in the 'it wasn't our day' parade.

That's the most unsettling thing about the Blackpool result; the fact that it's achingly similar to those games at home to Hull, Wigan, Stoke, Mackems... the games which sent us down really.

But when you can highlight the comparison there... was there anything in 08/09 akin to the mauling of Villa, or even the determined result at Wolves? Maybe one or two, we got a couple of reasonable draws with JFK, but they were so obviously one-offs. Now we look like a team who can rightfully earn those sorts of victories now. I can't claim i expected us to knock six past Villa, but i do expect us to give those sorts of team performances. Two seasons ago, a good team performance came as a surprise more than anything.

It's early days and the Blackpool game has inevitably given us all a bit of a fright. However, i would veer away from making comparisons to last time - we're a completely different kettle of fish this year.

I dont think it was as bad, we created chances against blackpool.

My main worry was everying we did was looking for caroll and we were crrying nolan and smith.

Exactly. Blackpool was 'just' a defeat. Those games back in 08/09 weren't just defeats, they were so much more. Just another cog in the downward spiral of inevitability.

We'll bounce back from this, but Everton's going to be rock hard.

This - well thought-out post .

We're exactly where I thought we'd be after 4 games- sitting with 4 points although I expected us to lose to Villa and beat Blackpool.

I did it for the entire season and had us finishing with 40 points.

Whilst I agree with where you're coming from, I think the whole 'it wasn't our day' thing is a complete myth.

You make it 'your day' through the way you play. The reason we didn't win was because we were poor at finishing and defending - we played Blackpool next week and played the same way and we'd still lose.

I'm not going to use the "it wasn't our day" excuse, but we didn't play poorly to be honest, and 2nd half we made chances that could have won us the game.

1 possotive is that hopefully Smith can be dropped for these kinds of games now, I think the likes of Stoke & Wolves are where he should be a starter, games where we are fored into a physical battle.

We're exactly where I thought we'd be after 4 games- sitting with 4 points although I expected us to lose to Villa and beat Blackpool.

I did it for the entire season and had us finishing with 40 points.

:lol:

So you predicted 2 out of 4 results incorrectly and this is supposed to instil confidence in your predictive ability.

I think there's 3 worse teams and enough teams of a similar standard to at least compete with so I'm going with a 5 at the moment. West Ham look certs, the Blackpool bubble will burst soon enough, still not convinced by either of Wigan or WBA despite a couple of good results lately and I don't think we're that far off the likes of Wolves, Sunderland and Blackburn.