NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Keane's well and truly on the downward spiral IMO.

Good enough for us imo.

I agree, but I'd still be unsure about spending big on him.

That's another thing, of course.

But Keane for the right money would be awesome (but unrealistic).

Guest BooBoo

Beardsley was on a downward spiral when we signed him the second time but was still a fantastic signing at the time.

Same goes for Les Ferdinand and to a lesser extent, Shearer. Doesn't mean you can't get an awful lot out of them for a few seasons.

Neither Shearer or Ferdinand were on a downward spiral at all at the point when we signed them.

Guest BooBoo

I'd say signing Keane would improve our chances of survival by about 50%. Shame Fat Ash can't see past his buy to sell policy.

Keane's well and truly on the downward spiral IMO.

Good enough for us imo.

I agree, but I'd still be unsure about spending big on him.

That's another thing, of course.

But Keane for the right money would be awesome (but unrealistic).

Loan deal.

keane would be awesome but getting a reasonable price out of levy is difficult to put it mildly not to mention wages, maybe a loan deal would work but hard to see levy or redknapp going for that and hard not to see other clubs in for him who would be more attractive (eg villa i think will be in for him once they sell milner)

Same goes for Les Ferdinand and to a lesser extent, Shearer. Doesn't mean you can't get an awful lot out of them for a few seasons.

Neither Shearer or Ferdinand were on a downward spiral at all at the point when we signed them.

Quite true, esp in Shearer's case ; he was only 25 when he joined NUFC in 1996.

Ferdinand was 28, so he was at his peak.

Quite true, esp in Shearer's case ; he was only 25 when he joined NUFC in 1996.

Ferdinand was 28, so he was at his peak.

but technically, as they were human beings and getting older they were on a downward spiral

so you're wrong

[/ronaldo]

;)

When did Cleverly become so highly rated? Has he played in the Premierleague yet?

He's playing for Man Utd. Even Owen suddenly became highly rated again once he left us.

Everyone is more highly rated once they leave us. Parker, Milner, Bramble, Duff... I could go on.

The players you have mentioned all left in the last 5 years..perhaps that says more about the club than either the players or the media..!

Let's be honest - there is no doubting the fact that Milner has DEF become a better player at Villa for a variety of reasons and Parker is being kept by W.Ham...as for the other 2, Duff had a good SPELL at Fulham under Hodgson and Bramble...well, let's see how he does at the SOS !

IMO all of those are very average players... yes Milner has improved, but we always knew he was better in the centre. He's certainly nowhere near as good as the media like to suggest.

I bet by October, you wouldn't mind having at least 2 of those 'average players' back at SJP...no good kidding yourself, NUFC have a history of seeing players they sell do better elsewhere.

I bet by October, you wouldn't mind having at least 2 of those 'average players' back at SJP...no good kidding yourself, NUFC have a history of seeing players they sell do better elsewhere.

For every player that's gone on to do better elsewhere theirs plenty of others that haven't.  For instance Parker to West Ham, even in the same transfer window and to the same team you have Dyer and Solano..

Latest update on the Arevalo situation:

http://www.larepublica.com.uy/deportes/419523-penarol-apunta-todas-las-miradas-a-pablo-bentancur

Absolute nightmare to translate so will be a few gaps and mis-translations so V.I could be handy, but reading between the lines, looking at the last paragraph in particular, it looks like this Bentancur bloke might just be using us. :lol:

"Egidio Arevalo Rios is a more complex situation, representatives Jorge Gerardo and Rabajda Chijane were determined not to let Bentancur participate in negotiations, but as things have went over the past few days and after having received no other concrete offers, they have now opened the door to discuss the Newcastle offer, who have in their power, Bentancur. The offer from the English club is €1m for Penarol, which is more than what Gerardo & Chijane have offered them, however Bentancur didn't know of the offer.

Penarol directors then asked Bentancur that they'd not seen the bid received from Newcastle, so that Arevalo and his people could view the offer and then travel to England.

The promise of Bentancur to fax the original document sent by Newcastle has not happened as of yet, and this has raised doubts about the authenticity of the bid"