NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Telegraph saying we're going in for a loan deal I'm guessing with an option to purchase later. Either:

1. We won't get him.

2. He'll be utterly shit and a waste of wages while he's here.

3. He'll be a godsend that keeps us up but we won't be able to finalise the purchase at the end of the season as he would have attracted attention from bigger clubs.

4. He'll like our club so much he'll stay but we'll waste our entire transfer budget for next season on him and we won't be able to strengthen. (followed up by a season long injury to him in the following season)

Interview with Ben Arfa in today's Le Parisien (French broadsheet) mainly about the France side. Says in that article that his representatives will meet our people after their next friendly on Thursday.

http://www.leparisien.fr/abo-sports/hatem-ben-arfa-retrouver-l-image-des-bleus-de-1998-26-07-2010-1012621.php

And when asked about his future, said...

"I don't pay any attention as to what is written in the press during the transfer window. That doesn't interest me."

So not giving much away.

Guest Geordiesned

One of my Newcastle supporting cousins lives in France and he's just changed his facebook status to say French TV are now reporting Ben Arfa to Newcastle today.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I reckon one of our central midfielders are off. Probably Guthrie to Bolton for £3m or something.

What makes you think that?

Guthrie is on the lowest wage of all the CMs, the youngest, and possibly the better.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I reckon one of our central midfielders are off. Probably Guthrie to Bolton for £3m or something.

butts gone!

Who is going to burst the bubble. There is nearly always a post that starts to turn the optimism into pessimism. At the moment we are still at the optimistic stage

Guthrie is on the lowest wage of all the CMs, the youngest, and possibly the better.

Bolton have done us a couple of favours to help us sign Perch and Gosling cheaply in my opinion. What do they get in return? Guthrie seems the most likely answer.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Bolton have done us a couple of favours to help us sign Perch and Gosling cheaply in my opinion. What do they get in return? Guthrie seems the most likely answer.

I must have missed those favours - what were they?

Only in my opinion of course:

Announcing publicly that we tried to sign Jloyd Samuel. Not true, but he plays in the same positions as Perch, hence helping us get the price down.

As I reckon Gosling was secured by us a long time ago, the talks Gosling had with Bolton were a facade.

Only in my opinion of course:

Announcing publicly that we tried to sign Jloyd Samuel. Not true, but he plays in the same positions as Perch, hence helping us get the price down.

As I reckon Gosling was secured by us a long time ago, the talks Gosling had with Bolton were a facade.

since all the crap about the rooney bid a few years back ,people actually believe stuff like this.

Guest secteur2010

You can't blame ANYONE for being pessimistic where NUFC are concerned - those of us who have been following the club long before many on here were born have seen it lurch from disaster to disaster with only a small period where it looked as if the club might eventually punch its weight....the only meaningful silverware coming over 40 years ago.

The tone of many contributors to this site show that quite a number of fans have accepted the club as second rate although they won't actually come out and say it ; the fact is that the club IS second rate at best and likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future. We had our chance to join the big boys back in the mid 90s and fluffed it ; we then compounded that by committing suicide in the way the club was run after SJH left as Chairman and by appointing a succession of bad managers after SBR. Even under Sir Bobby, we were never the power we had been in the mid 90s - the fact that we never really looked like challenging for the title tells you that. Once the NOTW broke the scandal involving DSH and FS, we were targeted by the sports media as potential figures of fun ; something that created much resentment among other teams' fans who took great delight in seeing our self-inflicted downfall.

A`place in the PL is the LEAST a club of Newcastle's size should be expecting and the fact that we are far more likely to be relegation candidates than in the top half shows how far the club have fallen ; what is more, unless progress is made it will be increasingly-difficult to sign the quality players needed to make the side better, hence Hughton having to look for bargains in the lower leagues or abroad.

All the talk about players like Ben Arfur fails to conceal the fact that top clubs do not want him because of his character - successful clubs NEVER build teams around players who are controversial on or off the field and NUFC has had far too many of those in its history.....

It takes years to build a successful side/club, and we will need much time and probably a change of ownership in the medium term to get anywhere near doing that - Ashley is probably the best NUFC can expect in the current climate and at least he is keeping the club away from major financial problems which plague many PL clubs.

It just means some(MORE)years of putting up with mediocrity, and fans like Dave know that.

Nailed it.

You can't blame ANYONE for being pessimistic where NUFC are concerned - those of us who have been following the club long before many on here were born have seen it lurch from disaster to disaster with only a small period where it looked as if the club might eventually punch its weight....the only meaningful silverware coming over 40 years ago.

The tone of many contributors to this site show that quite a number of fans have accepted the club as second rate although they won't actually come out and say it ; the fact is that the club IS second rate at best and likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future. We had our chance to join the big boys back in the mid 90s and fluffed it ; we then compounded that by committing suicide in the way the club was run after SJH left as Chairman and by appointing a succession of bad managers after SBR. Even under Sir Bobby, we were never the power we had been in the mid 90s - the fact that we never really looked like challenging for the title tells you that. Once the NOTW broke the scandal involving DSH and FS, we were targeted by the sports media as potential figures of fun ; something that created much resentment among other teams' fans who took great delight in seeing our self-inflicted downfall.

A`place in the PL is the LEAST a club of Newcastle's size should be expecting and the fact that we are far more likely to be relegation candidates than in the top half shows how far the club have fallen ; what is more, unless progress is made it will be increasingly-difficult to sign the quality players needed to make the side better, hence Hughton having to look for bargains in the lower leagues or abroad.

All the talk about players like Ben Arfur fails to conceal the fact that top clubs do not want him because of his character - successful clubs NEVER build teams around players who are controversial on or off the field and NUFC has had far too many of those in its history.....

It takes years to build a successful side/club, and we will need much time and probably a change of ownership in the medium term to get anywhere near doing that - Ashley is probably the best NUFC can expect in the current climate and at least he is keeping the club away from major financial problems which plague many PL clubs.

It just means some(MORE)years of putting up with mediocrity, and fans like Dave know that.

Nailed it.

don't know about that. pessimism is what leads people to believing every press story about us being after shit players, or doing the club down or the better players leaving, whilst treating as lies any story which shows the club in a good light or being linked with good players. many people have this as their default setting. fuck pessimism, i'll take realism anyday.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Nailed it.

Not sure he has tbh

Every team outside the top 5 has to feed off the scraps they dont want. They have not covered themselves in glory over the last 4-5 years with there transfer dealings. In fact i cannot think of one player who they havnt paid well over market price for, who has set the place alight.

We have to go for wild cards like Ben Arfa. He could well turn out to be the new Ginola or Robert just as much as he can be the alternative.

Your pessimism, and old-school attitude also contributes to the mediocrity we, as fans, settle for.

Guest sicko2ndbest

bit of a re-hash, nothing new, but havnt noticed it anywhere

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Newcastle-make-loan-move-for-8m-Marseille-star-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-article537297.html

Newcastle make loan move for £8m Marseille star

Published 22:30 25/07/10 By Football Spy

Recommend

Newcastle want to sign Marseille playmaker Hatem Ben Arfa on loan.

The Magpies had originally decided against making a move for Ben Arfa when quoted a fee of £8m.

But the news he could be made available for loan has re-ignited their interest in the player with Champions League experience.

Ben Arfa has fallen out with boss Didier Deschamps and is keen to find a club willing to hand him first team football.

And Newcastle fit the bill with boss Chris Hughton willing to hand the 23-year-old a key role in his newly promoted side.

He is looking for some class acts to help his side survive on their return to the top flight.

But a lack of cash has forced him to hunt around for bargains and now he is available on loan, Ben Arfa fits into that category.

Newcastle do face competition though with Werder Bremen

Guest sicko2ndbest

Meanwhile, Hughton dismissed fresh talk of United tabling a bid for Marseille’s Hatem Ben Arfa.

French daily sports paper l’Équipe claimed Newcastle and Werder Bremen have made offers for the international midfielder.

But the United boss maintained that the club have not made contact with Marseille.

“It’s a name that we are aware of – probably more so because it’s in the French papers than anything,” he said. “On our side there’s been no contact.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/07/26/shola-ameobi-vows-to-get-goals-in-top-flight-61634-26929746/2/

Although it's extremely unlikely we'll get him, it is possible that Hughton is denying because of our 'new policy' on trying to keep things under wraps. He hasn't said they're not interested.