NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Some Spanish bloke on twitter reckons Marcos Alonso is off to Bolton and Jlloyd Samuel is coming here as a result. Not the most reliable source I know but it would make sense given Taylor's injury and our lack of funds. Also Sky are reporting that Palace are interested in Ranger on loan.

Hard to believe we havent atleast enquired about Ben arfa's situation after all this. Hughtons said he thinks he's a cracking player, hes now potentially available on loan. Its already being reported across France we're mainly involved, why wouldnt we contact them ?

Hard to believe we havent atleast enquired about Ben arfa's situation after all this. Hughtons said he thinks he's a cracking player, hes now potentially available on loan. Its already being reported across France we're mainly involved, why wouldnt we contact them ?

it's a good question, maybe they want a loan to buy deal or something?

EDIT: or a fee, loans aren't always free i suppose

Maybe we have and tbh we havent got a clue who Houghton has made enquiries about apart from speculation in the press

Some Spanish bloke on twitter reckons Marcos Alonso is off to Bolton and Jlloyd Samuel is coming here as a result. Not the most reliable source I know but it would make sense given Taylor's injury and our lack of funds. Also Sky are reporting that Palace are interested in Ranger on loan.

Not overjoyed that the papers have said he's already agreed a contract. Ah well, as more backup he will have a use with all the injuries already hammering us.  :thup:

Just hoping for a signing that we can get a little more excited by. Pretty please Chris.

merlin, what about cantona and keane? surely they were controversial characters?

Sorry to butt in, but controversial characters become much easier to handle when they're with a successful club. All of a sudden, these points of principle which they get very worked up about start to diminish in importance.

Would Roy Keane have got quite so annoyed if he'd been playing for a team in contention for the World Cup? I doubt it.

merlin, what about cantona and keane? surely they were controversial characters?

Both kept under lock and key for the majority of the time because they were controlled by great managers.

Keane NEVER stepped out of line at Forest because he feared Clough - and rightly so. Clough was once asked if he had chinned Keane and he said 'No - he wouldn't have got back up if I had..!'

Cantona was hardly a wild card outside the club in the way that the likes of Dyer & Co have been - he was simply a bit of a strange guy.

You can't blame ANYONE for being pessimistic where NUFC are concerned - those of us who have been following the club long before many on here were born have seen it lurch from disaster to disaster with only a small period where it looked as if the club might eventually punch its weight....the only meaningful silverware coming over 40 years ago.

The tone of many contributors to this site show that quite a number of fans have accepted the club as second rate although they won't actually come out and say it ; the fact is that the club IS second rate at best and likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future. We had our chance to join the big boys back in the mid 90s and fluffed it ; we then compounded that by committing suicide in the way the club was run after SJH left as Chairman and by appointing a succession of bad managers after SBR. Even under Sir Bobby, we were never the power we had been in the mid 90s - the fact that we never really looked like challenging for the title tells you that. Once the NOTW broke the scandal involving DSH and FS, we were targeted by the sports media as potential figures of fun ; something that created much resentment among other teams' fans who took great delight in seeing our self-inflicted downfall.

A`place in the PL is the LEAST a club of Newcastle's size should be expecting and the fact that we are far more likely to be relegation candidates than in the top half shows how far the club have fallen ; what is more, unless progress is made it will be increasingly-difficult to sign the quality players needed to make the side better, hence Hughton having to look for bargains in the lower leagues or abroad.

All the talk about players like Ben Arfur fails to conceal the fact that top clubs do not want him because of his character - successful clubs NEVER build teams around players who are controversial on or off the field and NUFC has had far too many of those in its history.....

It takes years to build a successful side/club, and we will need much time and probably a change of ownership in the medium term to get anywhere near doing that - Ashley is probably the best NUFC can expect in the current climate and at least he is keeping the club away from major financial problems which plague many PL clubs.

It just means some(MORE)years of putting up with mediocrity, and fans like Dave know that.

Nailed it.

Not sure he has tbh

Every team outside the top 5 has to feed off the scraps they dont want. They have not covered themselves in glory over the last 4-5 years with there transfer dealings. In fact i cannot think of one player who they havnt paid well over market price for, who has set the place alight.

We have to go for wild cards like Ben Arfa. He could well turn out to be the new Ginola or Robert just as much as he can be the alternative.

Your pessimism, and old-school attitude also contributes to the mediocrity we, as fans, settle for.

'Old school attitude..' !????

What planet are you on ? Wherever it is, I hope Newcastle United are being the successful club you seem to believe they are ...and as for teams outside the Top 5, how many have the support that NUFC has ?

Methinks you are conveniently forgetting a few facts - NUFC HAS punched below its weight, and living in a fools' paradise will not alter those facts ; we should NOT have been outside the Top 5 after the base KK and SJH set up in the 90s.

If you believe my comments are pessimism, perhaps you will put an alternative 'Optimists' view ?

And as for being another Ginola or Robert, how do those players compare to Ben Arfa except on perhaps playing position ? If Marseilles want him out of the door, its a sure bet that they don't want him at their club.

Guest secteur2010

We, well souness wanted Bellamy out. Doesn't mean Bellamy was a bad player.

But to all fairness, Bellers was a cunt (and still is). Great on his day but a petulant bastard when things didn't go his way or if he didn't like something.

Souness though, totally screwed up and this in turn forced Shepherd into backing his manager but you could tell at the time he didn't want to because he knew it was all a load of shite. Not making any apologies for Shepherd here neither.

Basically IMO, for a long time NUFC done things in public and this in turn threw the doors wide open to scrutiny and a lot of people said "Why do they keep doing this", or words to that effect. Now that the door is closed to transfers, etc, most people are scrambling for the tiniest piece of information to pacify them. I prefer it quiet. At least this way we don't get blown out the water with daft prices or are ridiculed as much as we were in the past.

Siege mentality? Fucking damn right.

Guest MrBrown

I reckon one of our central midfielders are off. Probably Guthrie to Bolton for £3m or something.

What makes you think that?

Guthrie is on the lowest wage of all the CMs, the youngest, and possibly the better.

Bolton have done us a couple of favours to help us sign Perch and Gosling cheaply in my opinion. What do they get in return? Guthrie seems the most likely answer.

I must have missed those favours - what were they?

Only in my opinion of course:

Announcing publicly that we tried to sign Jloyd Samuel. Not true, but he plays in the same positions as Perch, hence helping us get the price down.

As I reckon Gosling was secured by us a long time ago, the talks Gosling had with Bolton were a facade.

Red flag right there.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Was talking to someone at work today about this, and the lengths the Toon are going to to ensure securacy over signings is crazy at the moment.

Guest secteur2010

Oh I wasn't placing the blame on the old board, I was just saying if a manager/club want rid of a player it doesn't always mean they aren't good enough.

True. You're correct on that point.

Just like this Ben Arfa character. Supposed to be a good player but a suspect attitude. Do we go back to signing players with suspect attitudes as we have done previously? Dyer, Bramble, Jenas, Bellers and more recently Carroll (and probably a few more) were/are all grade one knackers away from the pitch and when they couldn't be chewed on it, absolutely a waste of time.

I know it's a fine balancing act between the two but I'd prefer to have a grafter with a bit flair than a self styled superstar with a chip on his  shoulder.

Guest secteur2010

Was talking to someone at work today about this, and the lengths the Toon are going to to ensure securacy over signings is crazy at the moment.

Works quite well for Man U, Arsenal, etc. No point letting slip who we're after as it may push the price up a little, and considering we have allegedly nothing to spend (this I don't believe however), it's worth just keeping schtum and going about our business privately.

Does anybody really give a crap if we sign controversial or temperamental players as long as they do the business on the pitch ?

Ok you cannot guarantee that a player will be successful but surely it's worth taking a risk on someone who is only available because of attitude rather than ability ? A player, who given our current standing, we'd never be able to attract if they didn't have bad points ?

Bellamy was controversial and Robert was temperamental yet those 2 changed us from a bottom half of the table side to a one in the top 4 almost over night.  What I'd give for a couple of signings like them 2 now.

Did anybody see anything wrong with team spirit when Robert scored the 3rd in the 3-1 win at Highbury, when Nobby scored the 4th in 4-3 win at Elland Road or when Dabizas scored the only goal at the SOL ?

I hate it when people talk about the character or attitude of a player we're being linked with. As long as they're not a nonce, granny basher or murderer I couldn't care less as long as they're better than what we already have at the club.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Works quite well for Man U, Arsenal, etc. No point letting slip who we're after as it may push the price up a little, and considering we have allegedly nothing to spend (this I don't believe however), it's worth just keeping schtum and going about our business privately.

News reporters haven't been treat kindly by NUFC over wanting to release transfer exclusives, put it that way.

Does anybody really give a crap if we sign controversial or temperamental players as long as they do the business on the pitch ?

Ok you cannot guarantee that a player will be successful but surely it's worth taking a risk on someone who is only available because of attitude rather than ability ? A player, who given our current standing, we'd never be able to attract if they didn't have bad points ?

Bellamy was controversial and Robert was temperamental yet those 2 changed us from a bottom half of the table side to a one in the top 4 almost over night.  What I'd give for a couple of signings like them 2 now.

Did anybody see anything wrong with team spirit when Robert scored the 3rd in the 3-1 win at Highbury, when Nobby scored the 4th in 4-3 win at Elland Road or when Dabizas scored the only goal at the SOL ?

I hate it when people talk about the character or attitude of a player we're being linked with. As long as they're not a nonce, granny basher or murderer I couldn't care less as long as they're better than what we already have at the club.

Exactly. That's what pisses me off the most. There's certainly an element of fans that like to get on the moral high-ground when it comes to the players' personalities..

Bellamy is a cunt, Robert isn't interested, N'Zogbia is moody, Martins is thick.. Well, we replaced them all with ultra-experienced honest professionals and it did us the world of good, didn't it..