NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

On a free transfer, if he's here to be part of the backup pool (Bothroyd, Best, Shola/Loven, Ranger) behind a big striker signing then I'm not totally against it. He's an alright player.

If he's our first choice, brand new number nine leading the line, then lord help us all.

I'd personally be quite happy with Bothroyd on a free, providing we bring in another striker or 2. Would be nice to have a few decent options. I'd also be very surprised if we were to only bring in Bothroyd up top, so should be a good sign.

I like that we appear to be getting on with things early this year  :thup:

As long as he's a backup then that's fine.. we've seen all too well that we have basically nothing upfront after best so he'd be an improvement as long he isn't starting upfront every week..

Desperately disappointing if true.

As a replacement for Kuqi/Ranger away on loan?

Well, in my view we have enough strikers of an uninspiring calibre. Currently:

Best

Ameobi

Ranger

Lovenkrands

Kuqi

Xisco

+ youth strikers

Adding Boothroyd just seems a little pointless and doesn't really advance us (but may in Ashley's mind go some way in placating fans - which it won't, of course!), even if it meant swapping him out for someone like Kuqi. Rather get a striker who will challenge for the first team. That way our current first choice strikers will become our back-up and we'll have moved forward.

IF he´s not THE striker for the next season and he is coming for free he will be a good back-up me think. Better than Ranger, Kuqi, (will never happed) Ameobi, and surly on par with Best.

OK. Hopping for more and better. But hey, for free... :thup:

When did he last play in the Premiership?

For Charlton in 2005/2006 I think.

Played 18 times, and scored 2 goals. One against Manchester City and the other....you guessed it....Newcastle United :lol:

could do worse than Bothroyd on a free

Ordinarily, I'd agree with this. The "for free" stuff is a good point, but I don't think we should be that thrifty. I really believe in the core of our team (even if Enrique is exit-bound) and having Boothroyd strikes me as unambitious.

Our squad isn't as good as Spurs for example, but I don't think there's anything wrong with at least trying to show the same ambition as them if we ever want to be where they are, or higher, again. They're not thinking of Boothroyd on a free to supplement what other quality striker they're going to bring in, and rightly so. They should be looking for two strikers who will relegate their current first choice to third and fourth choice. I'd like to think we'd be doing the same.

[/just IMO]

When did he last play in the Premiership?

For Charlton in 2005/2006 I think.

Played 18 times, and scored 2 goals. One against Manchester City and the other....you guessed it....Newcastle United :lol:

They all do :lol:

Anyway, we're all judging him on his performances in the Championship, and the fact that he is even considered by Premiership teams is down to Capello's decision earlier in the season. I think there are loads of strikers that will be up for free that contribute in different ways that Bothroyd. We've already got the sort of player he represents in Leon Best.

Swedish media says we are after Teteh Bangura of AIK Solna

http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/1.2150352/2011/05/24/teteh_bangura_jagas_av_newcastle_beskrivs_som_den_nye_drogba

Not proven even in the crap swedish league.

He's done very well for us tbh, he's a constant threat and seems to know where the goal is. Works hard for the team as well.

Wouldn't call him the new Drogba though :lol: Also don't think he's anywhere near good enough at the moment for the Premier League. AIK would probably sell for £1-2m, depending what happens with our other striker.

How good is he though? See Aftonbladet (biggest Swedish newspaper) also made an article on this.

Well, I've only seen him play about five times, but against Swedish league quality defenders, he's certainly a very good player. He's scored 4 in 7 I think, and looks a constant thread. He's got decent pace and strength, he knows how to keep defenders on their toes. Good enough for a step up to the Premier League though? Nah, not right now any way.

Swedish media says we are after Teteh Bangura of AIK Solna

http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/1.2150352/2011/05/24/teteh_bangura_jagas_av_newcastle_beskrivs_som_den_nye_drogba

Not proven even in the crap swedish league.

He's done very well for us tbh, he's a constant threat and seems to know where the goal is. Works hard for the team as well.

Wouldn't call him the new Drogba though :lol: Also don't think he's anywhere near good enough at the moment for the Premier League. AIK would probably sell for £1-2m, depending what happens with our other striker.

How good is he though? See Aftonbladet (biggest Swedish newspaper) also made an article on this.

Well, I've only seen him play about five times, but against Swedish league quality defenders, he's certainly a very good player. He's scored 4 in 7 I think, and looks a constant thread. He's got decent pace and strength, he knows how to keep defenders on their toes. Good enough for a step up to the Premier League though? Nah, not right now any way.

Allsvenskan is still unbelievably shit. On par with League 1, bottom half. Four in seven there doesn't get you a Premier League contract.

Guest Chubby Jason

If he doesn't work out will Pards be sacked in December like Houghton was when Sol Campbell started to disappoint?