NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Ba

Ben Arfa

Jonas Tiote Cabaye Barton

?

My feeling is Jonas and Barton will be vying for that right slot based on opposition. Or maybe that's what I would be trying. We'll know more come August I guess.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2095758_reading_fc_close_in_on_target_as_long_and_mills_deals_drag_on

Striker Shane Long has also been the subject of a number of failed bids.

Royals are holding out for at least £7million for his services, with some reports suggesting only £10million will tempt their hand.

Newcastle United have reportedly offered cash plus Leon Best for his services.

[Reading Director of Football Nick] Hammond added: “We have had a lot of interest – strong interest in Shane and we’ve anticipated that.”

“We’ve had offers for the player, but nowhere near the levels that are going to tempt us to do business.”

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2095758_reading_fc_close_in_on_target_as_long_and_mills_deals_drag_on

Striker Shane Long has also been the subject of a number of failed bids.

Royals are holding out for at least £7million for his services, with some reports suggesting only £10million will tempt their hand.

Newcastle United have reportedly offered cash plus Leon Best for his services.

[Reading Director of Football Nick] Hammond added: “We have had a lot of interest – strong interest in Shane and we’ve anticipated that.”

“We’ve had offers for the player, but nowhere near the levels that are going to tempt us to do business.”

Early days, let's see what he's saying a month from now.

They will cash in on Long but i doubt we will be signing him.

I reckon we will agree a fee with someone who we have yet to be linked with, within the next fortnight.

Guest Howaythetoon

If the Carroll money is being spent on players' wages and what have you then that's a fucking disgrace because the club will make more than enough in TV money, player sales, sponsorship money and season ticket sales alone to more than be able to afford a wage bill that should now be pretty decent in terms of ratio to turnover. I imagine its about the 60% mark now. I mean its not as if the club is paying a player their wages over the term of their contract in one lump sum up front, no it will be monthly. All of the Carroll money should be used on transfer fees. The club had no trouble paying players' wages last season before the Carroll money. Take Cabaye for example. He cost nowt. The money we recieved for Nolan paid for his transfee fee and the wages of Nolan has simply been swapped around. If the club say some of the Carroll money went on Cabaye they are talking shite.

Regarding transfer fees and wages. The club need to be more ambitious here. Good players pay for themselves. Alan Shearer cost 15m in transfer fees and say an average wage of 60K over 10 years which cost the club 87m or 8.7m a year. Was he worth it? His goals either kept us in the league or helped us reach Europe. God knows how many Shearer 9 shirts were sold in those 10 years.

If the club try and do things on the cheap and constantly worry about wages then we will never ammount to much.

I'm not advocating we go and spend 16m and 100K a week on another Michael Owen but paying 10m plus for a striker and 60K a week wages? We shouldn't be afraid and we must start getting back into spending money because if you don't you either stand still or get relegated.

NUFC generate enough money to be able to take a punt or two and if Ashley and co had any real ambition and heart for this club they would go and secure a 20 a season man who could propell this club into the top 6 and Europe, i.e. buy the kind of player who pays for themselves. A Shearer. Perhaps a Sturridge.

The club have done well in buying players who will pay for themselves in that they offer great resale value but they need to now buy players who will pay for themselves by taking this club to new heights.

I refuse to believe the likes of Stoke and Fulham and indeed the mackems, all well run clubs, can outspend us or that our financial situation is so precarious, or precousious we cannot afford to spend money on players.

Its the other way round, we can simply not afford to not spend money. If we dont we go nowhere.

There is no excuse. We kind of have a free 35m to spend. Spend it well and we could do wonders. Don't spend it and we could struggle.

Sure use some of it on wages but at least 20m should be spent on transfer fees.

Still think it's a little too early to judge what is really being planned for the 35m. I'm prepared to wait until the window is over, but it's fair to say if we bring in Neil Taylor and Shane Long then I won't be happy. Clubs know we've had this cash injection and will try to hold us to ransom, that's perhaps why we're hearing these statements that seem to play down an upcoming spending spree.

We all know Ashley is hard to read and we have pulled signings out of nowhere before, so I think we should wait to see. I HOPE the money is there and we'll use it to really improve the team when the circumstances are right, but you never know with Ashley. It's a difficult one to judge at the moment. Both 'sides' have a vaild point.

Clubs know we've had this cash injection and will try to hold us to ransom, that's perhaps why we're hearing these statements that seem to play down an upcoming spending spree.

That's what I initially thought, it happens quite often too. Man U have only just gotten around to spending the bulk of the Ronaldo money.

Clubs know we've had this cash injection and will try to hold us to ransom, that's perhaps why we're hearing these statements that seem to play down an upcoming spending spree.

That's what I initially thought, it happens quite often too. Man U have only just gotten around to spending the bulk of the Ronaldo money.

Can you remember if the Manc Reds were similarly up in arms the next transfer window demanding receipts after Ronaldo left?

Is net spend something that is looked into far too much? IIRC from that recent spend table teams like West Brom and 'tight as fuck'  Everton have outspent Manchester united and Arsenal over the last 5 years. Surely improvement in the squad is the main thing we should be concerned about? And I think our squad is currently the best it has been for a few years?

Not entirely sure where i'm going with this but say the circumstances behind Ba and Marveaux had been different, in that they weren't freebies. We'd paid the market rate, maybe £20mil for the pair plus Cabaye, i'd be very happy with the transfer window thus far. I think we're perhaps being a bit giddy with the money burning a hole in our pocket. That said, i think £9mil is a fair price for Zoggy and if he'll be a bit flexible on his wage demands we should get him in quick smart.

Is net spend something that is looked into far too much? IIRC from that recent spend table teams like West Brom and 'tight as f***'  Everton have outspent Manchester united and Arsenal over the last 5 years. Surely improvement in the squad is the main thing we should be concerned about? And I think our squad is currently the best it has been for a few years?

Teams like Sunderland seem to have a massive net spend because up until Bent & Henderson, they had no players who clubs would have paid big cash for. Same goes for the likes of Birmingham & Stoke so it's natural their net-spend would be so high.

If you had to take one of gross spent or net spent and decide, on it's own, which one is a more straightforward indicator it has to be gross spend.  How much are you spending on improving or maintaining the quality of your squad? That much? Okay. 

Net spend you have to break down transfer by transfer and decide if the player going a) matters b) was "replaced" adequately - either by quality in the position left or strengthening elsewhere and c) was under or overvalued when sold.  It's too subjective to really mean much imo.

Although in regards to (b) above, I actually disagree that players are "replaced" with transfers, one for one, as though they were simple mechanical parts and that were even possible.  Especially in terms of important players.  We obviously lost Carroll and it changed the way we played - we didn't really "replace" him with Kuqi.  Man United didn't really replace CRonaldo with Valencia or Obertan, the team took a different shape and adapted. 

Guest bimpy474

I'd take him, but can't help but worry he'd be taking up a role someone like N'Zogbia should be filling.

Not if he turns out rather good and is a fifth of the price of N'Zogbia, jesus what am i saying, he's an Ashley signing if there ever was one :)