NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Campbell's been one of my favourite defenders. I don't think he'll ever be total shit before he retires. He'll do a job in our squad next season, even if it's only a handful of appearances (which is what i'd be hoping for, Willo/Tayls/Colo are all up to it at this level imo).

Campbell's one of my favourite defenders. I don't think he'll ever be total shit before he retires. He'll do a job in our squad next season, even if it's only a handful of appearances (which is what i'd be hoping for, Willo/Tayls/Colo are all up to it at this level imo).

What are you talking about? He never even got a game for Pompey, man!

O0

If it's a straight switch for Taylor then it's a load of shite, like. Nowt but a pocket-liner. We'll get £8m for Taylor.

Oh please.. :mackems:  How about selling Taylor to bring in something we need much more?, a good striker.  Taylor's our third choice center back at the moment and even the ancient Campbell would be ahead of him.

How many years too late is this now?

Four.

And Roeder thought he was too old then. :lol:

Christ, I remember him saying that. Makes me worry even more.

Roeder's opinion on a player makes you worry?, why?

Would no doubt be on rather handsome wages and although he was supposed to be "alright" towards the end of last season, he is now shit.

How does that work? :lol:

I have a few mates who are arsenal fans who were happy with Campbells performances last season and I think gash said the same. I don't understand how he can be considered good enough for a champions league side but not for one who are just trying to stay up.

I completely agree with yorkies sentiments, wages too high no thanks, would prefer younger but they don't come cheap and Campbell has great experience at the very, very top and leadership experience. Long term, no thanks but our first season back his experience and ability (even as a shadow of what it was) could prove invaluable.

If it's a straight switch for Taylor then it's a load of shite, like. Nowt but a pocket-liner. We'll get £8m for Taylor.

Oh please.. :mackems:  How about selling Taylor to bring in something we need much more?, a good striker.  Taylor's our third choice center back at the moment and even the ancient Campbell would be ahead of him.

While in principle I agree that could be a good solution, we'd probably not get to see any money from a transfer so it's a bit redundant.

Oh please.. :mackems: How about selling Taylor to bring in something we need much more?, a good striker. Taylor's our third choice center back at the moment and even the ancient Campbell would be ahead of him.

I'm not one of those bawling about how we're "not gonna spend any money!!!" 'n all that, cos i think we will invest, though moderately. If we did do that (put all the Taylor money right back into the squad), then it would be great. But we will get a decent fee for him if he were to go... i can't help but think atleast some of it would go straight into the bank, rather than the transfer kitty.

But we're speaking hypothetically here, and i honestly think it's irrelative. Personally i don't think Taylor will go, i think Hughton will convince him to sign a new contract. It's common knowledge that Hughton likes to have an army of defenders, which is why he loaned two of them in back in January. I didn't see that coming at the time but i wouldn't say it's a bad policy. PVA and Hall were extremely useful in the end. If we sign Campbell, it'll be to fill out the squad - which badly needs doing if we're going to survive.

While in principle I agree that could be a good solution, we'd probably not get to see any money from a transfer so it's a bit redundant.

Based on what?

Based on what?

Mike Ashley

I'm not one of those bawling about how we're "not gonna spend any money!!!" 'n all that, cos i think we will invest, though moderately. If we did do that (put all the Taylor money right back into the squad), then it would be great. But we will get a decent fee for him if he were to go... i can't help but think atleast some of it would go straight into the bank, rather than the transfer kitty.

But we're speaking hypothetically here, and i honestly think it's irrelative. Personally i don't think Taylor will go, i think Hughton will convince him to sign a new contract. It's common knowledge that Hughton likes to have an army of defenders, which is why he loaned two of them in back in January. I didn't see that coming at the time but i wouldn't say it's a bad policy. PVA and Hall were extremely useful in the end. If we sign Campbell, it'll be to fill out the squad - which badly needs doing if we're going to survive.

Fair enough, I just think that considering Ashley's track record with us in the Premiership we'll probably be breaking even on transfers.

Based on what?

Mike Ashley

We've broken even on transfer in both our Premiership seasons under Ashley.

Would no doubt be on rather handsome wages and although he was supposed to be "alright" towards the end of last season, he is now s***.

How does that work? :lol:

I have a few mates who are arsenal fans who were happy with Campbells performances last season and I think gash said the same. I don't understand how he can be considered good enough for a champions league side but not for one who are just trying to stay up.

I completely agree with yorkies sentiments, wages too high no thanks, would prefer younger but they don't come cheap and Campbell has great experience at the very, very top and leadership experience. Long term, no thanks but our first season back his experience and ability (even as a shadow of what it was) could prove invaluable.

The problem we'd have is that in the grand scheme of things, we're closer to Notts County than Arsenal.

And that's not merely referring to the huge gap in the calibre of the team/players. Things like diet, training, coaching, facilities, the manager, winning competitions, win bonuses, CL football, etc etc, come into play when you take things to the level of Arsenal/Wenger. I'm sure it was alot easier for Arsenal and a genuinely great manager in Wenger to get Campbell fit/motivated (and similarly, for Campbell to motivate himself to play well) than it would have been elsewhere.

Sounds like a dodgy piece to me, will link up with us after his honeymoon? How long will that be. What the hell has he been doing faffing around since the season ended? You think if he really wanted to be playing next year he would want to link up with the club asap. Sounds a bit prima donna to me but if he knows he has the options and power to do that I suppose its little suprise.

His experience will be a huge asset and he could help organise our back line who still loose concentration at the worst time. Possibly a coaching opportunity is on the table too.

Given the age of our defence some experience would be good, would have preferred Scharner though.

Why would a footballer book a wedding/honeymoon combo in mid-July? Unless he thought he'd be retired by now, its a stupid idea.

Don't know what to think about potentially signing him. I guess if its a freebie, then its ok. Unless he's on 30k

Newcastle are being linked with a move for Real Madrid midfielder Mahamadou Diarra.

Spanish sources claim the 29-year-old Mali captain will be offered to the newly-promoted Magpies.

Real boss Jose Mourinho held talks with Diarra this week about his future and it is understood he is willing to release the defensive midfielder, who cost the Madrid outfit about £20million four years ago.

Diarra was a key figure in the side that claimed back-to-back titles in his first two seasons. But he has not featured much since.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Newcastle-may-be-offered-the-chance-to-sign-Mahamadou-Diarra-from-Real-Madrid-article529529.html#ixzz0u0AZ6INh

Toon have a Real chance of Diarra deal

Published 23:00 17/07/10 By Brian McNally

Recommend (3)

Mahamadou-Diarra-Cropped

Newcastle are being linked with a move for Real Madrid midfielder Mahamadou Diarra.

Spanish sources claim the 29-year-old Mali captain will be offered to the newly-promoted Magpies.

Real boss Jose Mourinho held talks with Diarra this week about his future and it is understood he is willing to release the defensive midfielder, who cost the Madrid outfit about £20million four years ago.

Diarra was a key figure in the side that claimed back-to-back titles in his first two seasons. But he has not featured much since.

Toon manager Chris Hughton is anxious to strengthen his squad, but is having to work on a limited budget. And Diarra’s wages could be beyond Newcastle with a £30,000-a-week wage cap in operation.

But one player joining Newcastle is Everton’s Dan Gosling. He was in Newcastle last week to tie up his proposed move.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Newcastle-may-be-offered-the-chance-to-sign-Mahamadou-Diarra-from-Real-Madrid-article529529.html#ixzz0u0Abxbd5

Never seen him play. He any good? No quotes or anything, probably bullshit, anyway.