NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Some of the reactions to the striker 'news' on here are ridiculous. We had Modibo Maiga ready to sign, everything was agreed and then he fails his medical. What is the club suppossed to do at this point? From some people's reactions on here they want a return to the past where we panic buy and spend £10m+ on a striker who we clearly don't know nearly enough about to justify spending that much money.

Yes, it is frustrating but people need to realise the other circumstances in play. We've found out we need to find a new striker target less than a month before the January transfer window opens. By the sounds of it we've had Maiga as a nearly done deal for some months so we've not been actively pursuing other strikers in that period. So we're left scrambling to find a player to try and sign in a ridiculously short period of time. On top of that even if we identify a player we like we then have to pursuade the club to sell, agree a fee (which because its January will be several million over the price we'd pay in summer) and then agree terms with the player.

Frankly I think it is a thoroughly sensible approach being taken by the club. We're not in any danger of relegation and we have Ba, Ben Arfa, Best, Amoebi, Lovenkrands who can all play upfront. Better to save our money and get someone who we really want in the summer than panic buy in January.

Says it all, really.

Some of the reactions to the striker 'news' on here are ridiculous. We had Modibo Maiga ready to sign, everything was agreed and then he fails his medical. What is the club suppossed to do at this point? From some people's reactions on here they want a return to the past where we panic buy and spend £10m+ on a striker who we clearly don't know nearly enough about to justify spending that much money.

Yes, it is frustrating but people need to realise the other circumstances in play. We've found out we need to find a new striker target less than a month before the January transfer window opens. By the sounds of it we've had Maiga as a nearly done deal for some months so we've not been actively pursuing other strikers in that period. So we're left scrambling to find a player to try and sign in a ridiculously short period of time. On top of that even if we identify a player we like we then have to pursuade the club to sell, agree a fee (which because its January will be several million over the price we'd pay in summer) and then agree terms with the player.

Frankly I think it is a thoroughly sensible approach being taken by the club. We're not in any danger of relegation and we have Ba, Ben Arfa, Best, Amoebi, Lovenkrands who can all play upfront. Better to save our money and get someone who we really want in the summer than panic buy in January.

please tell me you realise these two aspects of a transfer are linked?

whoever we 'really want' is based on price, not on what the team needs. have you been asleep for a while?

Guest bimpy474

Why the fuck would Harry want Tiote? They're not short of defensive midfielders.

Krul on the other hand..

He has Gk's coming out of his ears too, cant see this story having any traction tbh.

If the club can get 50,000 people sharing your view, Ashley has got himself a nifty business model. Staying up is enough, and a professional footballer is a professional footballer, no matter what their actual level of quality may be.

Some of the reactions to the striker 'news' on here are ridiculous. We had Modibo Maiga ready to sign, everything was agreed and then he fails his medical. What is the club suppossed to do at this point?

Perhaps he shouldn't have been our only possible option out of all the forwards in the in the world?  There's always a possibility of a transfer falling through, most clubs don't have to go "Oh well, we can't get that guy to come and fill the big centre forward shaped hole in our team, so that's that then, we don't get anyone."

We've found out we need to find a new striker target less than a month before the January transfer window opens. By the sounds of it we've had Maiga as a nearly done deal for some months so we've not been actively pursuing other strikers in that period.

Why fucking not?  Didn't we have this with Erdinc last time, where we chased on guy for months, it didn't come off, we had no back-up plan and just gave up?

Better to save our money and get someone who we really want in the summer

Presumably in the summer it'll be better to save our money and get someone we really want in January?  Or do you want us to go all crazy and spend £8m on a player who isn't on crutches or doesn't have a boarderline personality disorder or who may not really exist when we could be going for the one available person who ticks every Ashley box as a cheap gamble who's unexpectedly on the market and might treble in price in a season's time?

I don't believe Maiga would fail a medical at any other club judging by his agents comments. Ba & Santon passed our medical ffs. Seems very apparent to me that once Steve Taylor got injured we needed to buy a defender and Pards was told defender or striker. Defender was a more pressing need, so Maiga was binned off - probably had a small injury or something. If we did sign a second striker to play alongside Ba where would that leave Ben Arfa? If he's never going to play on the wing and if we have Ba and a striker we've shelled out on up front, you couldn't keep everyone happy. We need a striker whilst Ba is away definitely but Maiga wouldn't have been here anyway.

Why the fuck would Harry want Tiote? They're not short of defensive midfielders.

Krul on the other hand..

He has Gk's coming out of his ears too, cant see this story having any traction tbh.

Aye but Friedel is 40 and Gomes is terrible. Could easily see them bidding for Krul in the summer.

If the club can get 50,000 people sharing your view, Ashley has got himself a nifty business model. Staying up is enough, and a professional footballer is a professional footballer, no matter what their actual level of quality may be.

What is there to gain by buying now? We look on course to finish higher than last season, even if things don't go as well in the second half of the season we will be OK. If our plan is Europe in the next three years then it is better to make steady progress in developing the squad than betting the house on a player to get us there in 6 months.

I don't believe Maiga would fail a medical at any other club judging by his agents comments. Ba & Santon passed our medical ffs. Seems very apparent to me that once Steve Taylor got injured we needed to buy a defender and Pards was told defender or striker. Defender was a more pressing need, so Maiga was binned off - probably had a small injury or something. If we did sign a second striker to play alongside Ba where would that leave Ben Arfa? If he's never going to play on the wing and if we have Ba and a striker we've shelled out on up front, you couldn't keep everyone happy. We need a striker whilst Ba is away definitely but Maiga wouldn't have been here anyway.

We'll know in a couple of years who was right on this one. However, on the medical side though I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for someone with a medical licence (as our club doctor will have) to lie about the health of someone i.e Maiga.

What is there to gain by buying now? We look on course to finish higher than last season, even if things don't go as well in the second half of the season we will be OK. If our plan is Europe in the next three years then it is better to make steady progress in developing the squad than betting the house on a player to get us there in 6 months.

Because it's quite possible that the 7th position we currently find ourselves in could make this our most attractive period in terms of appealing to players for some time if we now slide down the league?

We'll know in a couple of years who was right on this one. However, on the medical side though I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for someone with a medical licence (as our club doctor will have) to lie about the health of someone i.e Maiga.

Who said they lied? I said there was probably a small injury that most clubs would let go by. I'm just speculating, as that is how the scenario appears to me.

Of course if Maiga's leg falls off in the African cup of Nations, I'll be proved wrong.

No-one said to do that, don't try to prove a point by taking an opposite extreme. No-one is shouting we should sign a mega-money player. Maiga was going to join for £6m, that's a pretty modest amount in the modern game. That's hardly 'the house'.

Odd you mention developing the squad as this is something we have shown no interest in doing- which is why we have resorted to dross like Perch and Lovenkrands in times of need. In fact we have done the opposite- focused on our first XI (the ones who are in the shop window each week) and tried to fill the rest of the squad as cheaply as possible.

Surely the doctor just gives an honest report and the club set the bar in terms of what a fail or a pass is?

Guest bimpy474

Krul on the other hand..

Aye but Friedel is 40 and Gomes is terrible. Could easily see them bidding for Krul in the summer.

Friedel Harry highly rates, i know he's 40 but has a contract for next season too, Gomes will be gone at the end of the season, Cudicini sign a new one year contract recently, they wont be signing Krul this season for sure, not to be 2nd or 3rd choice, at the end of next season would be my worry, but Harry will be England manager then so whoever is Tottenhams manager might be after a different GK then.

Because it's quite possible that the 7th position we currently find ourselves in could make this our most attractive period in terms of appealing to players for some time if we now slide down the league?

Let's be honest unless we have European football to offer there isn't much difference between finishing 8th and 14th.

Also the point I'm trying to make is that whoever the new 'panic buy' striker in January was they would have been a massive gamble. High transfer fee, high wages, long contract and not enough reearch done to ensure they are right for the team. For a club that currently has Alan Smith and Xisco on its books and had Albert Luque on its books for many years surely we should have learnt the problem with this strategy.

Stozo, to be fair the reactions to the striker "news" aren't based purely on this latest development. We sold Carroll for 35m last January and didn't buy a striker. We then didn't buy a striker in the summer and now have said we're not going to buy a striker in January either. Don't you think the fans have a right to be fucked off?

The club can only play this card for so long. If there's no intention for progression at all and simply staying in the league is the aim year after year supplemented by selling top assets, fans will lose interest and attendances will drop. It's not asking for Man City esque signings, simply a solid recruitment policy to push the club forward.

Guest bimpy474

Stozo, to be fair the reactions to the striker "news" aren't based purely on this latest development. We sold Carroll for 35m last January and didn't buy a striker. We then didn't buy a striker in the summer and now have said we're not going to buy a striker in January either. Don't you think the fans have a right to be fucked off?

The club can only play this card for so long. If there's no intention for progression at all and simply staying in the league is the aim year after year supplemented by selling top assets, fans will lose interest and attendances will drop. It's not asking for Man City esque signings, simply a solid recruitment policy to push the club forward.

We did buy one though, we bought Ba, i know for nothing but that has to be their thinking, or should i say Fatty's.

No-one said to do that, don't try to prove a point by taking an opposite extreme. No-one is shouting we should sign a mega-money player. Maiga was going to join for £6m, that's a pretty modest amount in the modern game. That's hardly 'the house'.

Odd you mention developing the squad as this is something we have shown no interest in doing- which is why we have resorted to dross like Perch and Lovenkrands in times of need. In fact we have done the opposite- focused on our first XI (the ones who are in the shop window each week) and tried to fill the rest of the squad as cheaply as possible.

Maiga wasn't betting the house because all the work had been put in. Betting the house would be a new target who I think it is pretty safe to say would be costing considerably more than £6m.

As for the point on Perch and Lovenkrands you should look at it judging by steady progression year-on-year. Last year Perch and Lovenkrands were regular starters for us. This season they have played a handful of games. Next year Lovenkrands won't be at the club and I imagine Perch will be gone or even further down the pecking order.

Also the point I'm trying to make is that whoever the new 'panic buy' striker in January was they would have been a massive gamble. High transfer fee, high wages, long contract and not enough reearch done to ensure they are right for the team. For a club that currently has Alan Smith and Xisco on its books and had Albert Luque on its books for many years surely we should have learnt the problem with this strategy.

There is nothing to say it would have been a massive gamble as surely we have scouted other strikers than Maiga and I find it hard to believe that he is the only player ni Europe who could have improved our squad and was in our price range. Again, no reason to say the fee or wages would be 'high' (however you define that) but may well have been higher than in the summer. Perhaps we should have thought about that last summer, rather than looking forward to the next one.

You seem to think people moaning about this are advocating a mad panic buy.

Not getting a striker is annoying because it shows how unambitious the board are - we're 2 or 3 players from a very good team, but they're fine with mid-table. Also, it sucks that we're hearing the same old bullshit again and again. However, we need at least one defender and even a right winger before a striker, so as long as we make progress there AND DON'T SELL ANYONE then i'm ok with this.