NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Why the hell is it 2012, 2013 and then 2015?

It's part of the transition from January to summertime. It will then remain every 2 years (IIRC).

As far as I know there are no plans to move the AFCON to  (European) summertime. They're moving it to odd years so that during World Cup years African players don't have to play 2 major international competitions within 6 months, together with all the club commitments in between. However instead of doing the sensible thing and having a three year interval between this competition and the next, they are holding the competition two years in a row, 2012 & 2013...

In addition to switching to odd years they should also switch it to every four years, the current two-year system devalues the competition.

Our striker situation is really poor.  We have got lucky with Ba so far but then you have Lovenkrands a willing trier who will surely be gone in the Summer,  Shola who has the occasional good game but won't stay fit for more than a couple of games and Best who is woefully out of form but who the club have seemingly wanted to get rid of since he signed.

There also seems to be a lack of young strikers coming through - Simpson is a prospect but he is only 16 and a few years away yet but other than him, there seems to be very little and Airey seems to be injured a lot.  Vuckic can probably play as a supporting striker if needed.

There is a lot of work to be done in the next few months to improve the striking options if they are not going to do anything this January.

We have a good young striker prospect called Simpson?  Really dunno that, mind to introduce a bit?

Why the hell is it 2012, 2013 and then 2015?

It's part of the transition from January to summertime. It will then remain every 2 years (IIRC).

As far as I know there are no plans to move the AFCON to  (European) summertime. They're moving it to odd years so that during World Cup years African players don't have to play 2 major international competitions within 6 months, together with all the club commitments in between. However instead of doing the sensible thing and having a three year interval between this competition and the next, they are holding the competition two years in a row, 2012 & 2013...

In addition to switching to odd years they should also switch it to every four years, the current two-year system devalues the competition.

is there a particular reason they don't they do it every four years?

I bet we'll miss out on 7th if we don't sign a striker in january.

What's 7th worth though

An extra couple of mill in prize money? A fixture list in Europe that will see our prem league position plummet

I would rather us have a good crack at the domestic cups

It also makes the club more capable of convincing potential signings to come, and existing good players to stay (though that's far from a priority it seems). You can show them the league table and say 'look at us, we're in a good position to push on and we think you'll help us do that'. Do you think we got Cabaye here by telling him that the target was to avoid relegation, or that finishing 14th would be acceptable?

I bet we'll miss out on 7th if we don't sign a striker in january.

What's 7th worth though

An extra couple of mill in prize money? A fixture list in Europe that will see our prem league position plummet

I would rather us have a good crack at the domestic cups

It also makes the club more capable of convincing potential signings to come, and existing good players to stay (though that's far from a priority it seems). You can show them the league table and say 'look at us, we're in a good position to push on and we think you'll help us do that'. Do you think we got Cabaye here by telling him that the target was to avoid relegation, or that finishing 14th would be acceptable?

:thup:

Like Dave has essentially said, finishing 7th would show ambition really. It would be a massive plus if 7th turned out to be an Europa League spot in the end too - it will indicate to potential signings that we're a club "going places".

Getting into Europe is never a bad thing as far as i'm concerned. It can be a detriment if we don't plan for it properly, but simply being there should give us an advantage in pre-season business/general planning anyway. To simply be back on the European stage, at whatever level, would put us on the map again, having potentially faded into obscurity as little as two years ago.

Tbh i used to love going into games against European minnows thinking we were gonna cane them 7-0. That self-pride and excitement was worth the underwhelming 1-0s that ensued. :lol:

In all seriousness, some of my most exciting times as a Newcastle fan have come from the UEFA Cup. Some of the most crushing disappointments as well, granted. I'd love to see us back in it.

Disappointed BUT can't say I am surprised

They clearly don't care too much about pushing the club forward, it is all about staying in the division with as little cost as possible

We are in a great position and all it takes is a couple of signings (they don't have to be huge fees or panic buys) to ensure we will finish 7th no problem and maybe even push for 6th BUT I can see us dropping down the table, especially if Ba gets injured

Can't think who it was off the top of my head, but someone on here will be happy if this is true:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Newcastle-prepare-move-for-Middlesbrough-Rhys-Williams-article846880.html

Toon prepare move for Boro's versatile Australian

Published 22:29 28/12/11 By Alan Nixon

Newcastle are set to make a shock move for versatile Middlesbrough star Rhys Williams.

Toon boss Alan Pardew needs to reinforce his squad on a budget.

The 23-year-old Aussie can play in three or four roles and could be ideal for his plans.

Williams has 18 months to go on his contract and is stalling over talks.

A £3million Newcastle bid could force Boro to sell their prime asset.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Can't think who it was off the top of my head, but someone on here will be happy if this is true:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Newcastle-prepare-move-for-Middlesbrough-Rhys-Williams-article846880.html

Toon prepare move for Boro's versatile Australian

Published 22:29 28/12/11 By Alan Nixon

Newcastle are set to make a shock move for versatile Middlesbrough star Rhys Williams.

Toon boss Alan Pardew needs to reinforce his squad on a budget.

The 23-year-old Aussie can play in three or four roles and could be ideal for his plans.

Williams has 18 months to go on his contract and is stalling over talks.

A £3million Newcastle bid could force Boro to sell their prime asset.

Aussiemag? :lol:

What's there to aspire to from our current position? The Champion's League is realistically a non-starter unless we get a sugar daddy and rise above Arsenal and Chelsea, and the Europa League is just complete sh*te. If we did actually strengthen our squad substantially, I'd rather avoid the distraction of the Europa and focus on 4th.