NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Jesus christ, just seen this news. It's becoming more and more apparent that we will get absolutely nowhere with this board in charge (if it wasn't blatantly obvious before). They will always be happy with comfortably staying in this division whilst breaking even or making a small profit. As others have said, we have the spine of an excellent team, but this board will never ever spend the money required to push us on to the next level. The frustrating thing is that we're not even talking massive amounts of money, but it seems that spending £6m on a striker AND a defender is too much for us. It's also obvious from Pardew's recent comments that as soon as a decent bid comes in for one of our players he'll be gone, leading to more wheeling and dealing to replace him and a constant cycle that results in us going nowhere.

Do they really want us to believe that we've had 18months to identify strikers, and all they came up with was Maiga or no-one? So during the African Nations we'll be left with Best, Shola or Lovenkrands up top? f*** me. Oh well, better to wait until the summer then when we'll no doubt be fed other excuses. It also makes me wonder about Maiga failing his medical. The reason - I have numerous reasons to distrust the board, and no reason whatsoever to believe a single f***ing word they tell us.

funny, this  came in just as i was about to post the following:

why can't people get their heads around the fact that we'll never get the right balance with any board?  we never did with hall/shepherd (there was always a position that needed strengthening), ashley is just unpalatable and under much more scrutiny than they were back then imo 'cause he's clearly an utter c***, and southern

no-one else outside the current top six or whatever is spending shitloads of money and we have no right to either tbh, except for a couple of big sales that raked in some cash...in spite of those sales we're having our best season for ages

if we sign a striker we expect a CB, and vice versa, if we get both we start asking where the RB is and then the RW we need...and so on...it's a natural fan thing, everything is a game of FM to some

biggest criticism i have at the moment with any of this is loven, shola, smith etc. are still on the books...extended contract for shola no less...that's where it the s*** is clogging up the fan for me

For me the balance would be spending the money on positions we need and no more, which by no means is too much to ask. If we had a striker and centre back and we'd actually shown ambition by filling the gaping holes in our squad then I would be over the bloody moon, I wouldn't care about right wing and right back because we have acceptable players to play in those positions. I know that we can't fill every position in one transfer window, but we need to fill the ones that are obvious to everyone. It's been obvious even before the Carroll sale that we needed a striker - this still hasn't been addressed. We've needed a centre back since the start of last summer - that wasn't addressed and left us with Perch and Simpson as cover. Unlike other teams we are apparently in a sound financial position, surely it's not asking too much to spend £6m or £7m on someone?

aye, fuck it. Let's just finish mid-table every season

:lol: what's the realistic alternative man?  there isn't-fucking-one, not even selling everything we own would be able to propel us back into europe (CL) man

Spurs have done it over time, so why can't we?

spurs have been in the CL less times than us man, and it's taken ENIC what, a decade, to get there?  i have  no problem with that but my question is if that's how long it takes to challenge why is everyone so sure ashley is so far off at the moment?

For me the balance would be spending the money on positions we need and no more, which by no means is too much to ask.

well, this is the crux isn't it, the real bone of contention?

Which positions would you say we desperately need to fill in the squad? I'm sure most of us on here would come up with the same two first.

For me the balance would be spending the money on positions we need and no more, which by no means is too much to ask.

Which positions would you say we desperately need to fill in the squad? I'm sure most of us on here would come up with the same two first.

it depends what our objectives are, that's the point i'm making.....

Ah, I see. The point I was sort of making though was that surely every team looks to progress to the next level, whatever that is for each club. For us, I would say we are a comfortable mid-table / upper mid-table team, with the next step being top 6. Unfortunately progress usually means some sort of investment, which I don't think we will be getting. If we aren't looking to progress, what's the point in turning up?

Ah, I see. The point I was sort of making though was that surely every team looks to progress to the next level, whatever that is for each club. For us, I would say we are a comfortable mid-table / upper mid-table team, with the next step being top 6. Unfortunately progress usually means some sort of investment, which I don't think we will be getting. If we aren't looking to progress, what's the point in turning up?

we've made progress with negative investment in the last year

what can i say?  yeah i'd like a better RB than simpson (5m?), a better RW than obertan (7m?), a better backup striker than best (10m?), a CB to cover taylor's absence (8m?)

there's 30m right off the bat and we'd not be guaranteed to finished in europe by any means with that imo, never mind CL

Frankly I think it is a thoroughly sensible approach being taken by the club. We're not in any danger of relegation and we have Ba, Ben Arfa, Best, Amoebi, Lovenkrands who can all play upfront. Better to save our money and get someone who we really want in the summer than panic buy in January.

If the club can get 50,000 people sharing your view, Ashley has got himself a nifty business model. Staying up is enough, and a professional footballer is a professional footballer, no matter what their actual level of quality may be.

What is there to gain by buying now? We look on course to finish higher than last season, even if things don't go as well in the second half of the season we will be OK. If our plan is Europe in the next three years then it is better to make steady progress in developing the squad than betting the house on a player to get us there in 6 months.

Because it's quite possible that the 7th position we currently find ourselves in could make this our most attractive period in terms of appealing to players for some time if we now slide down the league?

Let's be honest unless we have European football to offer there isn't much difference between finishing 8th and 14th.

Also the point I'm trying to make is that whoever the new 'panic buy' striker in January was they would have been a massive gamble. High transfer fee, high wages, long contract and not enough reearch done to ensure they are right for the team. For a club that currently has Alan Smith and Xisco on its books and had Albert Luque on its books for many years surely we should have learnt the problem with this strategy.

There is about £4.5m difference in prize money which surely would be of concern to the board.

£4.5m wouldn't pay for the wages over the term of the contract, never mind the fee. It does look as if the money we'd earmarked for a striker has been diverted to buying a defender instead. It will be interesting to see where the goals come from once Ba leaves for the ANC. Best will need to start hitting the net because we won't get more than the odd goal from Shola.

The thing sticking with me is the Maiga deal never made any footballing sense. To lose what would presumably have been our two best strikers every time the African Nations comes around is ridiclulous - if you are really intent on pushing on.

Always suspected it was a "cheapest on the shortlist" deal, and think it's likely to be the same for the centre half, unfortunately.

Our striker situation is really poor.  We have got lucky with Ba so far but then you have Lovenkrands a willing trier who will surely be gone in the Summer,  Shola who has the occasional good game but won't stay fit for more than a couple of games and Best who is woefully out of form but who the club have seemingly wanted to get rid of since he signed.

There also seems to be a lack of young strikers coming through - Simpson is a prospect but he is only 16 and a few years away yet but other than him, there seems to be very little and Airey seems to be injured a lot.  Vuckic can probably play as a supporting striker if needed.

There is a lot of work to be done in the next few months to improve the striking options if they are not going to do anything this January.

The thing sticking with me is the Maiga deal never made any footballing sense. To lose what would presumably have been our two best strikers every time the African Nations comes around is ridiclulous - if you are really intent on pushing on.

Always suspected it was a "cheapest on the shortlist" deal, and think it's likely to be the same for the centre half, unfortunately.

Next ACoN is in the summer from now on.

Nah, next years is in January again.

Next year? I thought it was every 2 years?

It goes two years two years one year and repeat, for some odd reason.

Guest bimpy474

and Best who is woefully out of form but who the club have seemingly wanted to get rid of since he signed.

I've actually no idea where you've dreamt that up from. Needless negativity.

WTF from Ronaldo.........pot....ket.............. :naughty:

It goes two years two years one year and repeat, for some odd reason.

Cheers :thup:

Didn't know that. Makes that cup even stranger than I thought it was.

Why the hell is it 2012, 2013 and then 2015?

It's part of the transition from January to summertime. It will then remain every 2 years (IIRC).

Aye, they're switching it to summertime and as such are also switching to odd years - as to not clash with Euros and World Cup.