CHAMPIONS!!!

Willow

Butt is our captain, and while he may not be out leader in a physical sense, he is a spiritual prescence at the club. He has been given this role for a reason. I certainly would not begrudge him if his last act as a Newcastle player was to lift the trophy.

Give it a f***ing rest, man. :lol:

I definitely agree it's not an ideal situation having the man as captain, but that's how things are. If the club didn't want things this way, they should have acted to give it to someone else when it became clear that Butt was no longer a serious part of our playing staff. However, I think it would be classless to not allow him to lift the trophy, when it is the club themselves who have made this situation.

Butt is our captain, and while he may not be out leader in a physical sense, he is a spiritual prescence at the club. He has been given this role for a reason. I certainly would not begrudge him if his last act as a Newcastle player was to lift the trophy.

Give it a f***ing rest, man. :lol:

I definitely agree it's not an ideal situation having the man as captain, but that's how things are. If the club didn't want things this way, they should have acted to give it to someone else when it became clear that Butt was no longer a serious part of our playing staff. However, I think it would be classless to not allow him to lift the trophy, when it is the club themselves who have made this situation.

Acted when it was clear he was no longer a serious part of our playing staff? You mean like when he was dropped?

Yes, that is exacly what I mean, Decky. I have no problem with the club confronting Butt at that time and telling him that it is really unlikely he will play much more this season, and while he remains an important senior figure at the club, they would like to permanently handover the captaincy to a player with a larger role on the pitch. This happens at clubs all of the time. What doesn't happen is clubs telling their captain he can't lift a trophy because he didn't play a lot.

butt will be lifting the trophy :undecided:

anyone else think nolan or smith should be the one to lift it

Isn't the capitan (Smith) supposed to be the one to lift it?

How in hell is Smith your captain, by the way? Never thought of him as being an influential personality.

smith is vice captain, butt captain but as butt is less than useful hes only played when injuries have ruled out others, leaving smith to lead out the troops or when smith isnt playing nolan

I always thought Smith was captain.  I think if Butt is then he should be offered, but hopefully he'll offer to Smith.

the media at times arent sure who our captain is, i've seen smith and nolan being called captain more than once (and nolan by the bbc no less)

in real terms i think we all recognise that nolan will be captain next season for certain, hes looking the real leader of the team and smith will probably stay in the vice captaincy role

I think Hughton should be pushed out to lift the trophy. All the players have been giving him credit for the turnaround and Hughton himself has been deflecting all credit to the players. It will be a nice touch, albeit unconventional, to have Hughton finally take some credit for all his hardwork.

I always thought Smith was captain.  I think if Butt is then he should be offered, but hopefully he'll offer to Smith.

the media at times arent sure who our captain is, i've seen smith and nolan being called captain more than once (and nolan by the bbc no less)

in real terms i think we all recognise that nolan will be captain next season for certain, hes looking the real leader of the team and smith will probably stay in the vice captaincy role

clubs used to haver a regular team captain and a different club captain. even then i think butt has been captain whenever he's played.

in truth though only nolan has done anything near a captains job both on and off the pitch.

Guest Roger Kint

Didnt Bryan Robson help Bruce lift a Man Utd trophy once or twice despite not being involved much? They were club/team captains iirc

Guest Roger Kint

Don't care. We've won the trophy and promotion so who gives a f*** who lifts the thing.

This, Butt and Smith can both leave for me anyway so dont care which lifts it ;D

Guest icemanblue

I'm scared he will get carried away and over-head kick it into the crowd, then protest that the throw-in goes our way.

Never mind all that. I'd like to know where my regular Metro was this morning, Nexusmaster?

I'm scared he will get carried away and over-head kick it into the crowd, then protest that the throw-in goes our way.

You could argue that Nicky Butt's comedy overhead kick had earned him the right to lift the trophy. Best overhead kick ever!!