Nicky Butt

binnsy

Butt confirms that he'll go now himself. Has it been confirmed where he will go?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/04/24/nicky-butt-confirms-newcastle-united-exit-72703-26309736/

Nicky Butt confirms Newcastle United exit

Apr 24 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Comment (1)

Recommend

NICKY BUTT said a tearful goodbye to Newcastle United today .

Nicky Butt

The Toon captain confirmed his exit from St James’ Park and is expected to lift the Championship trophy after the game with Ipswich Town.

Butt said: "I have had a wonderful six years here, ever since Sir Bobby Robson brought me to the club in 2004.

"But this summer I will be moving on.

"It will always be a club that holds a special place in my heart.

"And I’d like to thank the players, staff and fans for everything they’ve done for me over the years.

"I hope I will be back as a spectator in the future and see the club lift more silverware."

Butt has played his part in promotion this season and winning the title.

He said today: "It’s a brilliant feat, now we’ve done it.

"Many people were saying we were favourites but last summer some people were also tipping us for relegation again.

"I don’t think many outside this football club would have tipped us to win the league."

Butt confirms that he'll go now himself. Has it been confirmed where he will go?

Who cares as long as he's gone and his massive wage is off the bill

I just want know if he plays another year or two who the "lucky" club will be to get him. Or if he'll end up as a coach here.

Don't really blame him for wanting to keep playing... just don't want it to be here. He's outstayed his welcome by years.

It's hard to describe how not only ineffective but counter effective he's been this season, it has to have been seen."Opposition's best friend" really is a good way to put it. He can tick the Championship off as not being his level either.

Guest scottnufc1892

David Craig interviewed him after the ipswich game and said "you have a special relationship with these fans, they dont want to see you go"!

Good Riddance i say... Never forgave him for his performance for Man Utd in our FA cup semi final at Cardiff! Played with 10 against 12 that day cos of the useless tw@! Break a leg with ya new club Nicky.... Just hope its not somebody you might bring down a level, like Gateshead

David Craig interviewed him after the ipswich game and said "you have a special relationship with these fans, they dont want to see you go"!

Good Riddance i say... Never forgave him for his performance for Man Utd in our FA cup semi final at Cardiff! Played with 10 against 12 that day cos of the useless tw@! Break a leg with ya new club Nicky.... Just hope its not somebody you might bring down a level, like Gateshead

:facepalm:

NICKY BUTT: LIFTING TROPHY WITH NEWCASTLE IS HIGHLIGHT OF MY CAREER

HE has won the FA Cup, the Champions League and the Premier League but Nicky Butt still regards lifting the Championship trophy with Newcastle as one of the highlights of his career.

Butt, 35, used his final programme notes of the season to announce his intention to leave St James’ Park when his contract expires in the summer

He is still to decide whether to continue playing or hang up his boots and pursue a coaching career, but he will not be seeking a new deal to help Newcastle attempt to re-establish themselves in the Premier League.

His final act at St James’ was to link up with fellow midfielder Alan Smith to hoist the Championship trophy above his head and spark jubilant scenes of celebration among the biggest crowd ever to watch a Championship game – almost 53,000.

And while some will view this season’s success as a footnote to a career that has also included 39 international caps and an appearance at a World Cup finals, Butt claims it is one of his greatest achievements in the game.

Butt said: “Sir Alex Ferguson once told me when I won my very first medal, you always have to enjoy it. Don’t be embarrassed to enjoy it and celebrate.

“Whether it is the Premier League, the Youth Cup or today, I have enjoyed them exactly the same. The highs of winning the league and the Champions League are just the same as this.

“You don’t sit there looking at your medal thinking it is not the same as the rest because it is the Championship. You have won it. You are just happy.

“The scenes out there could have been the Champions League and you just have to enjoy them.”

Veteran midfielder Butt first joined Newcastle in 2004 and has seen countless highs and lows during his six seasons on Tyneside.

He said: “This is an amazing club and an amazing city and I am proud to have been involved with it.”

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/171476/Nicky-Butt-Lifting-trophy-with-Newcastle-is-highlight-of-my-career-

Don't even know that much about his professionalism on the whole tbh. Can remember having a fair debate a few months back on here about his actual love for the game. I was dead surprised he signed a contract at Preston in many ways cos he really looked like he'd had enough at some points this season and last.

Have no idea about the truth in what happened in the semi-final saga but that aside he seems like a very good pro and a real role model for the kids. He was a shite footballer but i wish him all the best.

Some of the stick Butt gets on here is laughable really,  you'd think he was the worst player to have ever played for the club,  its pathetic.  Yes he's never been a world beater when he's played for us but neither has he been as bad as people make out.  Think the lad from true faith sums him up well in this weekd TBAWE column

It is being widely reported Saturday was Nicky Butt’s St James’ Park swansong at Newcastle United. Nicky has had his trials and tribulations at the club but for me he has always been a fully committed professional, a decent lad, a winner and a credit to himself and Newcastle United. When football nowadays is full of the diamond ear stud, hummer driving tossers, Nicky Butt has been a throwback to a time when players were just like fans. Having met Nicky a couple of times for interviews (when fanzines had access to United players) I can confirm he is the decent lad he is cracked up to be. When he arrived at the club I was delighted we’d signed him and contacts in Manchester sung his praises as a top class pro and decent human being. Nicky’s first season was not a good one. He played with an injury, his form dipped, he refused to hide, he was slaughtered by fans and he was lied about in the press. He was grotesquely mismanaged by Souness (what’s the odds eh?) but to Glenn Roeder’s credit he was rehabilitated and in my opinion he served the club very well. There have been games when Nicky’s age seemed to be catching up with him but for those who were watching closely they saw a lad doing the dirty jobs on a football pitch for his team - tracking runners, screening the back-line, putting his body on the line, making himself available for the pass in a difficult situation etc. In short being a proper footballer. If there was one lad at the club who could have played the Billy Big Balls it was Nicky Butt because after all he’s the only one there who has a box full of medals, international caps and the memories of playing in a World Cup and countless other top matches and tournaments. Being a lad from Manchester who grew up under Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford it is obvious a big, big part of him will be a Red forever. Who would expect any different? However, from both his words and deeds we know Nicky Butt is a Mag and if he does hang up his boots and moves into coaching I’d love him to have a role at our club because there is much a young player could learn from the way he trains and lives his life. Thanks, Nicky!

No doubt the vultures will swoop down to tear it too pieces.

Guest Haris Vuckic

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/dec2007/3/4/D86C3F3F-997A-A7E0-78A4A6CFD916EAD9.jpg

Such a long time ago!

It is rather spectacular that, when players who have been on the whole absolutely shocking leave, people come out and sing their praises.

He may be a decent professional but lets not beat around the bush, he was/is shit. Good riddance :thefinger:

It is rather spectacular that, when players who have been on the whole absolutely shocking leave, people come out and sing their praises.

He may be a decent professional but lets not beat around the bush, he was/is s***. Good riddance :thefinger:

Are you talking about his whole career, his time with us or just the last couple of years? Unless it's the latter your very wrong

He may be a decent professional but lets not beat around the bush, he was/is s***. Good riddance :thefinger:

very much a victim of our shite tactics in our latter prem years (he wasn't shit under keegan when we had players moving and creating space so he could play his natural game of win it and give it simply). too many times he was caught holding on too long looking round wondering why all our players were stood still. i very much agree with that true faith article.