World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

I actually think that's really bad news. He was offering a lot to the side, being an anchor man who could actually pass the ball as well as defend. He was also useful at set pieces, and could keep the ball under pressure. England have always had to put up with cloggers in that position before.

I don't think we have a ready replacement. Carrick isn't strong defensively, Hargreaves hasn't played enough and can't pass, King isn't fit enough for midfield. Milner, Gerrard and Lampard aren't defensive players. Who else is there?

I actually think that's really bad news. He was offering a lot to the side, being an anchor man who could actually pass the ball as well as defend. He was also useful at set pieces, and could keep the ball under pressure. England have always had to put up with cloggers in that position before.

I don't think we have a ready replacement. Carrick isn't strong defensively, Hargreaves hasn't played enough and can't pass, King isn't fit enough for midfield. Milner, Gerrard and Lampard aren't defensive players. Who else is there?

Hands up if you want to go to the World Cup?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_01/buttAP3003_468x838.jpg

Parker or Cattermole?

Would be surprised to see Parker not going to the World Cup tbh. I've always rated him very highly as a player - but still I think his current form should be enough to get him a place in the squad.

Parker or Cattermole?

Would be surprised to see Parker not going to the World Cup tbh. I've always rated him very highly as a player - but still I think his current form should be enough to get him a place in the squad.

:dowie:

Parker or Cattermole?

:dowie:

:lol:  ??

Despite him not being in ANY of Capello's previous teams, you'd be surprised to see him excluded from the WC squad?

Aye, that's a good argument against me actually.  :lol:  Didn't know that tbh. Shows how much I've followed England during the qualifying matches...

Still, regardless of that fact you mentioned, I think Parker deserved to be in that squad.

I've always seen Parker as a busy player but not that effective, for all that energy. He might well make the squad though now as cover.

This is a bummer. Apart from Rooney or possibly Gerrard, I think that Barry is the player who is most difficult to replace.

I reckon Carrick will get the nod, as the least worst option.