World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Sport has published what they say is the Spanish squad that will be announced tomorrow:

GKs: Casillas, Reina and Diego López.

Defenders: Albiol, Arbeloa, Capdevila, Marchena, Piqué, Puyol and Sergio Ramos.

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Cesc, Iniesta, Senna, Silva and Xavi.

Forwards: Navas, Pedro, Llorente, Torres, Villa and either Mata or Güiza

So no Valdés, De Gea, Martínez, Azpilicueta, Cazorla or Negredo

Shame about Cazorla. No idea if he's been good or not since the Euros, but he's one of my first buys on FM when I'm a decent club. :lol:

He's had an injury-ridden season sadly. He's a pretty decent player, but he's lost his spot to Pedro.

If somebody told me this time last year that Pedro would be in the World Cup squad... what a step-up.

tbf Craig Moore is going to the World Cup.

Last player to score in a major tournament whilst a Newcastle player since Shearer Euro 2000 I think. (or does Geremi count as a Newcastle player during the most recent ACoN even though that transfer was sealed before it?

Mr Valcke - who has previously billed the event as a "real African World Cup" - said that African sales were "poor" and that Fifa would have to re-think its strategy towards Brazil, hosts of the 2014 Cup.

"It's really not a lot of tickets when you think that we have so many African countries playing in the World Cup," he said at a press event in South Africa.

"The system that we put in place was not perfect for South Africa and for Africa".

He said that there were also difficulties in air travel from one African country to South Africa.

South African Tourism Minister Martinus van Schalkwyk said on Tuesday that the figures were 76% less than those forecasted for the event.

He said that only 11,300 people in Africa made ticket purchases, out of a total of 230,000 foreign fans.

In March, Mr Valcke denied that Africans were being priced out of tournaments.

While tickets in South Africa were offered at a lower price, fans in other African countries had to pay the standard amount - with the cheapest costing $80 (£54).

Critics also said that many Africans would face difficulties accessing the internet, or might not have a credit card to make purchases online.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10132613.stm

Did the wankers at FIFA not realise that Africa is, like, poor?

tbf Craig Moore is going to the World Cup.

Last player to score in a major tournament whilst a Newcastle player since Shearer Euro 2000 I think. (or does Geremi count as a Newcastle player during the most recent ACoN even though that transfer was sealed before it?

World Cup 2006? If so, I'm pretty sure Geremi scored in the 2008 ACN, which would be the latest one.

Guest Roland

Babel has a groin injury after todays training. Tomorrow more info will be announced.

He is one the players who is not sure of the final squad yet. But due to injury would be harsh, 2 years ago he missed the tournament because of an ankle injury.

Guest Geordiesned

I've sorted out a predictions competition for work. If anyone's interested I can post it on here? Stuff like "how many red cards will there be?" and "who will be the first England player to score?".

Meh, it's not like Ronaldinho not being in the squad wasn't expected, but he's still a better pull for the casual football fans than anybody else in the Brazilian squad so they went with him.

Love the Cesc, Iniesta, Piqué shot.  :iamatwat:

Completely random, but I'm about to put money on Lee Dong-Gook to score at the World Cup. :lol:

Sweepstake with mates today I got:

Winners - Argentina

Top Scorer - South Korea, went for Park Chu-Young

Come on the Argies!

I know there's absolutely no chance of it happening, but did I go for the right choice out of your potential top scorers?

Completely random, but I'm about to put money on Lee Dong-Gook to score at the World Cup. :lol:

Sweepstake with mates today I got:

Winners - Argentina

Top Scorer - South Korea, went for Park Chu-Young

Come on the Argies!

I know there's absolutely no chance of it happening, but did I go for the right choice out of your potential top scorers?

I think either Lee Dong-Gook or Lee Chung-Yong would have been better choices. Park is our second best player but he's never been really prolific at senior level. More of a "everybody's favorite strike partner" kind of guy.

Man... that disallowed goal a couple weeks after Keegan returned. After they'd just equalised and Gook scored what appeared to be the winner.

Rotten feeling that was. :lol:

"Gook" has actually been a revelation since coming back home after his misadventures in England. He was always the kind of player who relies on his own natural talent rather than working for the team, and failing in the Premiership was just the wakeup call he needed. ("You're not that good you twat.")

He's actually one of our hardest working players now, chases after every ball and always looks to bring his teammates into play. And while I've had a lot of fun at his expense while he was in England, he was desperately unlucky to do as poorly as he did considering that he's always been our best finisher.

Couple the fact that he's missed 2 world cups (2002 due to falling out with Hiddink, 2006 due to injury) in a row and is absolutely desperate to salvage his reputation, I'd say he might be our player to watch for this tournament.

And yes, I know how funny that sounds :lol: