World Cup 2010 Pre-Tournament Thread

James

Italy's chances just increased ten-fold now that Toni isn't playing for them. Always fails to deliver in the major tournaments, so so poor.

I cannot stand him. Terrible player that has made a consistently successful club career out of himself.

Wow, Nasri to me is even for surprising. Just down to the fact that he's had a pretty good season, much better than Benzema. Both are pretty shocking though.

:dowie:

:kinnear:?

I'd hardly say Nasri and Benzema are shocking. They are great footballers.

I think he meant the decision of leaving them out is shocking, not the players themselves.

Ah, you can see how I got confused though. Was a strange way of saying it. Sorry Ameritoon  :thup:

Understandable, it was odd sentence structure.

England squad:

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Who said Parker would and should be in that squad?  :snod:

That's a good squad. I'm pleased he's taking Adam Johnson, Joe Cole and SWP.

The ones I'd drop are - Warnock, King, Dawson, Huddlestone, Parker, Walcott and Bent.

That's assuming Barry is fit, and able to provide cover at CB. If he's unfit, I'd take Dawson.

You could name a pretty strong team from the players being left out. The likes of Diego, Pato, Totti, Ronaldinho, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Young, Milito, Nasri, Benzema, etc.

That would be a fun exercise, actually.

Palop         

Zanetti  G. Milito XXXX  José Enrique

Nasri Cambiasso Arteta Young

Benzema Pato

Need another CB, and probably a different goalie (Palop's good but hardly a surprise he's been left out).