Crouch in january

Guest toonarmy1810

Media in made up transfer story shocker!

It would be very interesting if someone recorded all the stories newspapers print about transfers and see how many actually happen. I would guess less than 1 in a 100 (and then newspapers have the cheek to print a "we told you so" when one actually happens, disregarding the other 99 they said would happen that didn't). Look at NUFC.com's Rumours section: -

http://www.nufc.com/2006-07html/2006-12robrum.html

United wait on Crouch

Dec 29 2006

By The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United's hopes of luring Peter Crouch to St James' Park could well depend on Valencia boss Quique Sanchez Flores.

For Liverpool want Valencia striker David Villa, and they will only let Crouch go if they sign the Spanish international striker.

Ironically, Flores was at one time linked with the manager's job at St James' Park after Graeme Souness was sacked in February.

The Chronicle revealed United's interest in Crouch on the eve of the trip to Chelsea on Tuesday, December 12, and things have moved on slowly since then.

Sources on Merseyside tell me that not only is Crouch aware of United's interest, but that he would jump at the chance to come to Tyneside and form a little-and-large partnership with Oba Martins and eventually Michael Owen.

A source at United tells me that the £12m fee that Liverpool are supposed to want for their 25-year-old 6ft 7in striker has been plucked out of the air.

And all Glenn Roeder would say rather curtly today was: "Peter Crouch is a Liverpool player and I do not talk about players at other clubs."

However, Roeder makes no bones about his admiration for Crouch both as a goal-maker and goal-taker.

Crouch himself is unhappy that he is not an automatic choice at Anfield, and he reacted angrily at being substituted in the Boxing Day defeat at Blackburn.

Meanwhile, The Chronicle revealed on Saturday night that the two players in the Championship in whom Roeder would be interested are Southampton's 17-year-old left-back Gareth Bale and Derby midfielder Giles Barnes.

With Manchester United and Arsenal both in the hunt for Bale, the Welsh international looks to be out of Roeder's reach.

But Derby boss Billy Davies says that he will let Barnes go at the right price - and this has also alerted Spurs manager Martin Jol.

Benitez has just said in press conference that Crouch will not be sold and that they wont be signing Villa either.

That will be Olivers exclusive tomorrow, "A source close to Liverpool plays down Uniteds chances of signing Crouch."

It wouldn't surprise me if we paid double figures for Crouch then realised we didn't have enough for any defenders.

After what happened in August nothing would surprise me.

If we pay £12m for Crouch we are throwing away our money and will slide further as a result. There's a reason why we spend more money than clubs like Arsenal yet can't get close to them.

It wouldn't surprise me if we paid double figures for Crouch then realised we didn't have enough for any defenders.

After what happened in August anyting could happen.

If we pay £12m for Crouch we are throwing away our money and will slide further as a result. There's a reason why we spend more money than clubs like Arsenal yet can't get close to them.

Don't expect everyone to see the sense in your post.

Agreed, i'd certainly be tempted into a big money signing for a Bent or a Crouch, but i think logically - i'd prefer a stopgap. Like Viduka or Beattie. Though Beattie, i think, could do well here and may be more long-term than someone like Viduka.

We're bound to have a decent attacking line-up next season anyway.

Owen, Martins, Shola, Sibi, Dyer, whoever we get in Jan - so i don't think we need to go breaking the bank for a striker.

After what happened in August anyting could happen.

Don't expect everyone to see the sense in your post.

:thup:

The media link us and Roeder says its rubbish, same old same old.

One thing for sure is all of this will at least give Crouch something to think about, if we do end up going in for him he will know himself  one way or the other if he wants to come after having time to mull it over.

After what happened in August nothing would surprise me.

Yes. If you go through the list of players bought by all the managers going back even to Keegan you will find a lot of wasted money. Souness was especially wasteful as the majority of us realise but even Robson wasted millions before signing Bellamy and Robert, unfortunately going on to waste yet more millions after those signings.

Roeder didn't do a very good job of disguising his interest.

Think this will happen in the summer, TBH, but not for 12 million. 7 or 8 million should do it.

I find roeder's 'denial' hardly convincing.  I certainly think he's enquiring.

but again, crouch will end up unhappy here.

Owen has to start and martins needs to be in the team to improve, plus he's roeder's signing.  Martins + Owen upfront FTW.

Aye, but in the second half of the season what happens if Martins and  Sibierski are injured for a lengthy period?

Owen has to start and martins needs to be in the team to improve, plus he's roeder's signing.  Martins + Owen upfront FTW.

Aye, but in the second half of the season what happens if Martins and  Sibierski are injured for a lengthy period?

We would clearly be in trouble. However, I don't think we're at the stage where we can afford to spend upwards of £8m on someone who would be third choice striker when everyone is fit, as much as I'd like us to. (Obviously this is making assumptions about how much we will have available to spend, but I think they're reasonable enough).

Given the other areas of the squad that also need reinforcing (LB, CB) I think we would be better off looking for a cheaper option a la Beattie/Viduka who will be able to do a good job for us, and will not be looking for first team football the way Crouch is. If Crouch is unhappy with being on the bench at the moment how will he feel when Owen and Oba are fit?

We would clearly be in trouble. However, I don't think we're at the stage where we can afford to spend upwards of £8m on someone who would be third choice striker when everyone is fit, as much as I'd like us to. (Obviously this is making assumptions about how much we will have available to spend, but I think they're reasonable enough).

Given the other areas of the squad that also need reinforcing (LB, CB) I think we would be better off looking for a cheaper option a la Beattie/Viduka who will be able to do a good job for us, and will not be looking for first team football the way Crouch is. If Crouch is unhappy with being on the bench at the moment how will he feel when Owen and Oba are fit?

I agree, but that's assuming the club has a choice. This is the balancing act and why it's not easy to conduct transfers and get the players a club wants. The way people go on ( not you ) anyone would think it was simple. The club may want to go for a cheaper option but what if that cheaper option has other opportunities, or his agent wants him to hang on right to the last day? Then what?

I agree, but that's assuming the club has a choice. This is the balancing act and why it's not easy to conduct transfers and get the players a club wants. The way people go on ( not you ) anyone would think it was simple. The club may want to go for a cheaper option but what if that cheaper option has other opportunities, or his agent wants him to hang on right to the last day? Then what?

You're right, we could well end up in trouble if we don't sign a striker - one injury to Martins and we're struggling. As admirably as he's performed for us I can't see the Sib doing too well week in week out up top on his own.

In my opinion I'd rather we went for cheaper options from day one, and run the risk of getting Crouch for £10m on the last day of the window, when all other possibilities have been exhausted. It won't be that easy to bring in a decent striker, but I'd rather the most expensive option was our lowest priority at the moment, hopefully giving us a chance to bring in a few more bodies.

Having said that, if there are no defenders to be had, we may as well spend the extra (e.g.) £4m we would have on them on a striker. We'd be better off signing just Crouch than just Beattie.

I find roeder's 'denial' hardly convincing. I certainly think he's enquiring.

Owen has to start and martins needs to be in the team to improve, plus he's roeder's signing. Martins + Owen upfront FTW.

Aye, but in the second half of the season what happens if Martins and Sibierski are injured for a lengthy period?

I know, it's a bit of a catch 22.  I think the only way everything will work out is if we get a striker that's willing to be back up, a young prospect who can fill in til the end of the season then 'learn' or we just assume that alot of the time 1 of the 3 will be injured so we need 3 quality strikers.