Crouch in january

Guest toonarmy1810

We should look in Italy for decent sized strikers with aerial presence if were going to spend £10m on one.

Am sure there will be some big German lads out there who fit the bill as well, breeding them tall these days over there, well they certainly are with CB's.

There's simply NOTHING in the EPL that fits that mould. Beattie was just about there, but consistancy has made sure he's not a top performer now, and really, thats scraping the Barrel.

They said Shearer was a dying breed, surely not? I think were just looking in the wrong Country.

Guest Imperio

Wouldn't mind him here at all, but for the price that I assume Liverpool will be looking for, it won't be worth it. A major concern would be the encouragement for our backline to play the long ball more regularly.

Most over-rated player in the history of the English national side.

Over-rated? Despite very impressive figures the majority of people still think he's useless.

Thats what i was thinking. I dont think he is over-rated by anyone. Most people can see his limitations.

Can't see it happening, but we should be pleased if it ever did.

His reputation's a bit like Sven's. Everyone slags him off because everyone slags him off. I laughed when Liverpool bought him. I've stopped laughing now. He's an accomplished player, good attitude, miles better than any of our current forwards bar Owen.

I agree with all of that apart from the accomplished player bit. :) :lol:

You obviously didn't see the way Martins played today...

Fans who were around in the mid-70s will see a parallel with Alan Gowling, although Gowling was much underrated. A big, awkward looking CF with deceptively-good ball control. Gordon Lee used him as target man with Supermac as a sort of twin spearhead. It looked a bit crap at first, but they started to click around Christmas time in 75, and they hammered Everton 5-0 early in Jan, beat Spurs over 2 legs in the LC semi, Coventry 4-0 in a 4th Rnd Replay , won a real pulsating game 4-3 against Championship-chasing Derby at the end of Jan.

The whole team benefitted from the 2 guys up front, with Mickey Burns coming from just behind the front 2 and Geoff Nulty/Tommy Craig/Cassidy in midfield. We scored quite a few goals, but had a poor central defence - Keely was a nightmare at times, similar to Bramble.

If the players hadn't gone down with the Flu that was raging at the time, I am sure we would have beaten Man City in the LC Final that season. Who scored our goal ? Alan Gowling....!

Fans who were around in the mid-70s will see a parallel with Alan Gowling, although Gowling was much underrated. A big, awkward looking CF with deceptively-good ball control. Gordon Lee used him as target man with Supermac as a sort of twin spearhead. It looked a bit crap at first, but they started to click around Christmas time in 75, and they hammered Everton 5-0 early in Jan, beat Spurs over 2 legs in the LC semi, Coventry 4-0 in a 4th Rnd Replay , won a real pulsating game 4-3 against Championship-chasing Derby at the end of Jan.

The whole team benefitted from the 2 guys up front, with Mickey Burns coming from just behind the front 2 and Geoff Nulty/Tommy Craig/Cassidy in midfield. We scored quite a few goals, but had a poor central defence - Keely was a nightmare at times, similar to Bramble.

If the players hadn't gone down with the Flu that was raging at the time, I am sure we would have beaten Man City in the LC Final that season. Who scored our goal ? Alan Gowling....!

Glen Keeley was worse than Titus without doubt.The QE2 turned quicker than him.Do you remeber him partnering our ex coach Derek Fazackerley at Blackburn in central defence,a one legged tortoise with asthma had more pace...

Reading have a couple of good strikers in Lita and Doyle although im not sure we need someone like Lita.

David Kitson is also a decent striker.

Of all 3 of them, Kevin Doyle is the best and perhaps is most complimental of our strikers

Reading have a couple of good strikers in Lita and Doyle although im not sure we need someone like Lita.

David Kitson is also a decent striker.

Of all 3 of them, Kevin Doyle is the best and perhaps is most complimental of our strikers

So speaks the authority on all things football.

Guest Gemmill

I think the rumour's bullshit, but I think the people scoffing at the prospect of having Crouch here are canny stupid.  Decent player imo and most important of all, we KNOW he can score goals in the Premiership.

I think the rumour's bullshit, but I think the people scoffing at the prospect of having Crouch here are canny stupid.  Decent player imo and most important of all, we KNOW he can score goals in the Premiership.

Very debatable. In fact, it's not debatable imo. 28 Premiership goals in 71 starts and 36 sub appearance...12 came in an 18 game spell for Southampton.

Very debatable. In fact, it's not debatable imo. 18 Premiership goals in 71 starts and 36 sub appearance...12 came in an 18 game spell for Southampton.

but he's better than Luque!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eyeball_tickler

NEWCASTLE are weighing up a sensational transfer-window bid for Liverpool's Peter Crouch.

The Geordies are desperate to strengthen their firepower — and they see the England striker as the perfect man to lead the Toon attack.

Crouch, 25, joined Liverpool from Southampton in a £7million deal in July 2005 and he has scored nine goals for the Reds this season.

But boss Rafa Benitez wants to keep his strike-force intact to maintain their challenge in the Champions League this season — though there might be room for manoeuvre during the summer.

Crouch might welcome the move since he is thought to be unsettled by having to share first-team opportunities at Anfield with Craig Bellamy, Dirk Kuyt and Robbie Fowler.

Geordie boss Glenn Roeder will also make a £3m bid to sign Wes Brown from Manchester United next month.

Roeder knows he needs to land at least two new defenders — with Craig Moore admitting he will quit the club at the end of the season and Titus Bramble out of contract in the summer.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport3.shtml

the madness starts