José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mourinho follows the philosophy of Bela Guttmann, who said "the third year is fatal". Ok, he's lasted 3 years at Real but that's generally what Jose does. His personality sees to it. So he'll go to Chelsea for a couple of years until Fergie goes and he'll wind down his career with Portugal, maybe just for a World Cup cycle. Maybe Man Utd is where he settles down and builds his dynasty - they certainly have the infrastructure for it - but Mourinho will have to mellow and stop being what he is.

Of course, if he gets bored and wants to take a mid-level club to the very top - giving his ego a further boost - maybe he'll glance at the North East to his mentor's boyhood team....

In his interview after the game last night he didn't look like a manager who'd just reached the semi's of the champions league, he looked defeated and seemed as though he was worn out.

There was no real emotion other than lethargy and tiredness, he gave the answers but had none of his usual character, he basically spoke the words and stared into the distance.

In his interview after the game last night he didn't look like a manager who'd just reached the semi's of the champions league, he looked defeated and seemed as though he was worn out.

There was no real emotion other than lethargy and tiredness, he gave the answers but had none of his usual character, he basically spoke the words and stared into the distance.

Considering how he manages i'm not surprised at all, that level of mental and physical wear and tear he goes through to get the most from him and his players is not sustainable long term.

Probably another reason he leaves clubs after a couple of years, he needs rest.

Whilst listening to the latest World Football Phone In they had a quick chat about Mourinho and I was thinking about his eventual legacy when he retires. Obviously he will go down as one of the greats for his success at the top level with many different clubs.

Do people think that after he leaves Madrid he should stay at one team for quite a lengthy amount of time to build a dynasty there?

Dude is a nomad, imo.

Whilst listening to the latest World Football Phone In they had a quick chat about Mourinho and I was thinking about his eventual legacy when he retires. Obviously he will go down as one of the greats for his success at the top level with many different clubs.

Do people think that after he leaves Madrid he should stay at one team for quite a lengthy amount of time to build a dynasty there?

He started so young, and has so much time left that barring some unforeseen choice/incident which takes him away from the game for a long time, there's plenty of legacy left to establish!

Wonder if the mean age of managers has dropped dramatically in the last twenty or thirty years, and if so, by how much.

Guest Pablito

He is the best coach ever in the history of football. What he won speaks for himself, and he does win... anywhere. He will retire one day with incredible records.

I would not say staying put and building a legacy (ala Fergie) is necessary superior than bringing success to several clubs in different countries in the same time period. Both has its pros and cons. On one hand to build a dynasty at a club does require staying power and for a manager to have a long term paradigm. Fergie has obviously demonstrated this. But let's not pretend that Fergie's success has all been about youth development. Whilst he has transformed some youth with potential to become top players over the years, he has also benefited from getting some incredible young players during his time, he benefited from the excellent youth system in MU which is largely not to his credit. You'll be hard pressed to find another club/manager who got their hands on the youth players dubbed the golden generation (i.e. Scholes, Becks, Giggs and Neville), all being delivered to Fergie on a plate almost at the same time. Let's us also not pretend that MU did not spend when they wanted to. Rooney, RVP, Cantona, Andy Cole,  Jaap Stam, Ferdinand....etc were all expensive buys that had a huge bearing on their success.

On the other hand, yes changing clubs every few years does mean that managers will largely just ignore the youth setup which Mourinho is largely guilty of. But it is simplistic to say that Mourinho bought his successes through the transfer market.  Buying top stars does not equate success not when there are more than a handful of clubs who have the same purchasing power (Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real, PSG...etc).  You still need a manager to mold these top players into an effective team with coherent game plan (just ask Pardew). Plus changing club and country, being able to adapt with different football culture, management hierarchy,  tactics, pace and formation and bringing success within a short space of time the way Mourinho does/did requires a special manager.

Just different way of looking at things and different type of achievements in my view.

Two very different challenges, and both are difficult. I have a lot of time and respect for Mourinho, what he has achieved in the game is far from easy. He has moved countries, inherited other managers players, signed his own and created winning combinations in such short spaces of time. Yes, he has had money to work with in the market, but it's not as straight forward as just "Sign player A, B and C and we'll play great, winning football".

Over the last decade he has managed to get such a diverse selection of players at 4 clubs in 4 different countries to buy into his management, and created winning teams. I don't think it should ever be simplified as that is not easy to do. How many other managers have done what he has done?

He'll go down as one of the greats, and rightly so.

Alex Ferguson is a different kettle of fish, I don't think he could achieve what Mourinho has done with so many clubs, and I don't think Mourinho could have done what Ferguson has achieved.

Mourinho follows the philosophy of Bela Guttmann, who said "the third year is fatal". Ok, he's lasted 3 years at Real but that's generally what Jose does. His personality sees to it. So he'll go to Chelsea for a couple of years until Fergie goes and he'll wind down his career with Portugal, maybe just for a World Cup cycle. Maybe Man Utd is where he settles down and builds his dynasty - they certainly have the infrastructure for it - but Mourinho will have to mellow and stop being what he is.

Of course, if he gets bored and wants to take a mid-level club to the very top - giving his ego a further boost - maybe he'll glance at the North East to his mentor's boyhood team....

It'll be Chelsea or ManC. He knows if he goes to Chelsea he can later do ManU so it's going to be tough for them to get him to ManC.

Two very different challenges, and both are difficult. I have a lot of time and respect for Mourinho, what he has achieved in the game is far from easy. He has moved countries, inherited other managers players, signed his own and created winning combinations in such short spaces of time. Yes, he has had money to work with in the market, but it's not as straight forward as just "Sign player A, B and C and we'll play great, winning football".

Over the last decade he has managed to get such a diverse selection of players at 4 clubs in 4 different countries to buy into his management, and created winning teams. I don't think it should ever be simplified as that is not easy to do. How many other managers have done what he has done?

He'll go down as one of the greats, and rightly so.

Alex Ferguson is a different kettle of fish, I don't think he could achieve what Mourinho has done with so many clubs, and I don't think Mourinho could have done what Ferguson has achieved.

This

• 1 month later...

:lol: Should come here and rebuild his reputation.

Hope he gets arrested coming back to England and sentenced to 5 years community service as Newcastle United manager.

:lol: We'd finish 8th and Ashley would commute his sentence.

• 2 weeks later...