José Mourinho

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Admittedly he was hit and miss at Chelsea (and his first year at Inter) but he's improved. The only bad signing at Real is Pedro Leon and that seemed to be a board signing, whilst the season before only Mariga hasn't worked out. Pandev, Lucio, Milito, Eto'o, Sneijder and Motta was a wonderful summer.

Mourinho didn't do signings at Inter. Only Sneijder was his doing because he clammered for a #10.

Mourinho actually wanted Carvalho, it was the technical directors at Inter who made sure to persue Lucio instead.

Mourinho didn't do signings at Inter. Only Sneijder was his doing because he clammered for a #10.

Mourinho actually wanted Carvalho, it was the technical directors at Inter who made sure to persue Lucio instead.

don't be daft man, what sort of top manager hasn't got total control of comings and goings ?

don't be daft man, what sort of top manager hasn't got total control of comings and goings ?

Ones that work on the continent. Par for the course, tbh, as most clubs have a DoF.

• 2 months later...

Quaresma was Mourinho's signing and only Mourinho's signing.

Are you being sarcastic?

Most managers on mainland Europe run with the DoF system. Mourinho would have had more influence than most but it wasn't his sole responsibility, like I said he basically had Lucio forced upon him in the end.

Are you being sarcastic?

Most managers on mainland Europe run with the DoF system. Mourinho would have had more influence than most but it wasn't his sole responsibility, like I said he basically had Lucio forced upon him in the end.

Has Mourinho/the directors actualy come out and said this or are you going off of reports?

Mourinho really wanted Carvalho, Marco Branca told him Lucio would be a better and cheaper alternative. Mourinho as a character and with his stature as a manager is obviously going to have far more influence than most first team coaches, but ultimately the decision making at a club like Inter is a joint process.

Think I remember reading he has much more power at Madrid.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst listening to the latest World Football Phone In they had a quick chat about Mourinho and I was thinking about his eventual legacy when he retires. Obviously he will go down as one of the greats for his success at the top level with many different clubs.

Do people think that after he leaves Madrid he should stay at one team for quite a lengthy amount of time to build a dynasty there?

I think if you want to be remembered truly as a great you have to do something like stay at a club for a long time, showing ability to get through generations of players whilst still having success, much like SAF.

Guest Slippery Sam

Whilst listening to the latest World Football Phone In they had a quick chat about Mourinho and I was thinking about his eventual legacy when he retires. Obviously he will go down as one of the greats for his success at the top level with many different clubs.

Do people think that after he leaves Madrid he should stay at one team for quite a lengthy amount of time to build a dynasty there?

Said on here or toontastic a while ago that if he wanted to become a football god then there's only one place to come.

He can't, he leaves because he's not the type of manager to build long term success.

He's the Trappatoni type of manager that comes in wins you trophies and leaves, he just doesn't have the skillsets needed to be someone who builds a dynasty.

As for all time it depends on what your criteria is, if you rate someone on what they win then he clearly will be but if you like the SAF types who build dynasties then nope.

Said on here or toontastic a while ago that if he wanted to become a football god then there's only one place to come.

Imagine...

He can't, he leaves because he's not the type of manager to build long term success.

He's the Trappatoni type of manager that comes in wins you trophies and leaves, he just doesn't have the skillsets needed to be someone who builds a dynasty.

As for all time it depends on what your criteria is, if you rate someone on what they win then he clearly will be but if you like the SAF types who build dynasties then nope.

I'd like to see him give it a shot but I completely agree with what you are saying. At Chelsea he was never interested in the development side of things and only wanted players ready for here and now.

I think if you want to be remembered truly as a great you have to do something like stay at a club for a long time, showing ability to get through generations of players whilst still having success, much like SAF.

On the other hand there's a lot to be said for managers prepared to leave their comfort zone and manage in different leagues with diffrent styles and different expectations. There's very few of that breed around, though.

In terms of squad and players he's had at his disposal, has Mourinho really been all that 'special'? I mean domestically to me hasn't done anything of such and his Inter and Porto team that won European titles were both very very good teams and both won in strange periods of european football.

I'd like to see him give it a shot but I completely agree with what you are saying. At Chelsea he was never interested in the development side of things and only wanted players ready for here and now.

Inter too, they were in no fit state to compete at the very top level after that with all the past it players.

Tbf to him he does what he needs to do to get the best out of those players to get trophies but nothing in his mind is ever long term or about the development of the club.

In terms of squad and players he's had at his disposal, has Mourinho really been all that 'special'? I mean domestically to me hasn't done anything of such and his Inter and Porto team that won European titles were both very very good teams and both won in strange periods of european football.

This doesn't matter to me, yes apart from Porto all his teams have been top class but you need to be a top class manager to lead them to such success.

He's clearly very special at what he does , it is an interest subject to think how he will be remembered though.

Shankly is remembered higher than Paisley despite winning no where the amount of trophies same with Milan it seems to me that Sacchi is remembered higher than Capello despite winning less.

I tend to think that innovators and those who build clubs are remembered more than those who just win things, we will see though.

Guest Howaythetoon

He should in my opinion and I'd like to see him do that but he's too intense and restless to ever stay beyond a few years.

I know it would never happen but I'd love to see him here, I think he is a guaranteed trophy that is how good he is.