Sell before we buy - but who to sell?

Dave

I spoke to John Beresford when I saw him in Dubai some months ago, he said you cant rule out investors coming in for the club, theres a possibility of a new owner, as unrealistic as it sounds.

I dont see it happening in this financial state at the moment tho and the club isnt even for sale anyway, with the current squad , they are close and the team spirit is high, some quality freebies and loans and we could manage to survive, remember, we only have to be better than 3 other teams, its not impossible, as long as we dont completly dismantle our squad.

I have absolutely no idea why John Beresford would know.

I dont either.

I don't gree with the reaction to the clubs statement either, but here we go.

Smith

R. Taylor

Xisco

Best

Barton

Ameobi

O'hara

Boyd

Another midfielder

Another striker/foward

Someone in defense

There's really no need to be throwing our players at other clubs. There's a couple that need to go anyway, but of the players that will command a decent fee, there's only Taylor who we might aswell let go. We don't need to go and spend big in this transfer window, we really don't. I'd much rather we took it easy this summer anyway. We need three significant improvements across the starting eleven, but we don't need to go spending megabucks to achieve that.

Fetch £8m for Taylor and we can put that into the little kitty. If someone's kind enough to offer us money for Smith and Best then it's all gravy - but i certainly wouldn't consider putting anyone like Carroll, Jose or Jonas up for sale. (unless someone offered £20m for Carroll, obvs, then i'd start thinking - anything lower and they can fuck off though :thup:)

Seriously, seriously don't think there's any need to flog more than one or two. At the very most. This squad's got a brilliant, brilliant team spirit - for the first time in six or seven years. Please don't needlessly dismantle it - it's totally unnecassary.

Guest Heneage

I'd expect contract re-negotations with the top earners such as Smith and Barton, but I don't see the latter even looking at less money. In which case there's potential he may be passed on.

Realistically I'd like to see all of the old dead wood go, Shola, Smith, Barton, Nolan.

The whole situation is now in a state of flux - it is obvious that players will have to be sold to raise money to strengthen, but its hard to see how this can be done without weakening the side in other critical areas.

Being realistic, the only players we would get decent fees for are ;-

Jonas(poss 5m, depending on the WC)

Coloccini(ditto)

Carroll(poss 6m)

S Taylor(poss 7-8m because he has a more proven PL record than the others)

Barton would fetch a fee, but we would be lucky to get 3m for him ; Nolan, poss 3m at best.

We could also sell Enrique for upwards of 5m but he is a player we REALLY need to keep.

Losing the 4 I first mentioned would bring in poss 25m - around the total that we really needed to spend to ensure PL football WITHOUT losing players....as you can see, Hughton has a VERY tough task in front of him.

Ideally, I would sell Krul(we have Foster), Best(yes, I know..)Simpson, R Taylor and other fringe players, but we are not going to raise more than 5-10 m doing that. We will need to sign Bosman players as I said in the Statement thread,but Ashley is unlikely to pay the wages they will demand.

Fun times ahead.....

Guest firetotheworks

The players that we would sell would obviously have to be replaced. imo it would be a pointless like for like exercise if we are to have a chance of staying up. Spread the money out and were definitely down.

Of course they would. England is an inflated market and they're realistic prices.

Not any more - the Top 4/5 can spend big money but the rest are living on overdrafts and borrowed time.

Just wait and see....

I would sell

Xisco

Ryan Taylor

Alan Smith

Leon Best

Either Barton or Nolan but preferably Barton. Still don't rate Nolan but he offers a lot more to the squad in general than Barton.

So that would give us 6-8m and £100k at least per week off the wages? Look at getting two or three decent players in on loan and spending the cash on a better central midfielder. There's also a few decent free transfers about.

Guest firetotheworks

Yknow how people always say that Stephen Ireland is under-rated? Even though everyone says it, meaning that he's not under-rated at all. Well Morten Gamst Perderson should be the exact opposite. He is absolutely fucking shite man. He had a good season about 4 seasons ago, and everyone still seems to think he's more than a useless article.

Yknow how people always say that Stephen Ireland is under-rated? Even though everyone says it, meaning that he's not under-rated at all. Well Morten Gamst Perderson should be the exact opposite. He is absolutely fucking shite man. He had a good season about 4 seasons ago, and everyone still seems to think he's more than a useless article.

Surpised Blackburn haven't renewed his contract tbh. Who is going to take their long throws?

sell anyone depending on the price, as always.

but i'd be touting smith, raylor, best,ameobi, and one of harper,krul or forster. also possibly look to sell nolan,guthrie or barton if we get those two centre mids in.

Leon Best

Ryan Taylor

Alan Smith

would fetch around £4m-£5m.

Will Colo, Williamson and Steven Taylor all be starters? If not, the one who isn't is expendable IMO. Taylor would probably fetch the most.

We need to get the high earners off the wage bill, the lower the wages the more money we will generate.

When you consider (reported) Smith, Barton, Colo and Jonas cost the club around £13m a year, they've got to be the first to go. The first two we wouldn't miss, Colo's wages are too out of touch with what the club is trying to do and Jonas will hopefully have a gerat WC and fetch us a decent fee.

If Taylor doesn't sign up then we've got to get rid before the start of the season, losing him for nothing would be a massive blow, Carrol is the other sellable asset but losing both would be too much to take.

Steven Taylor's the no-brainer really, don't need him, rated highly by other clubs, potential friction with other players... As long as we can get a fee for him and make sure it's a decent enough one to bring in one or two players in the postions we really need to strengthen, and as long as every penny of the fee goes on transfers.

Guest neesy111

We need to get the high earners off the wage bill, the lower the wages the more money we will generate.

When you consider (reported) Smith, Barton, Colo and Jonas cost the club around £13m a year, they've got to be the first to go. The first two we wouldn't miss, Colo's wages are too out of touch with what the club is trying to do and Jonas will hopefully have a gerat WC and fetch us a decent fee.

If Taylor doesn't sign up then we've got to get rid before the start of the season, losing him for nothing would be a massive blow, Carrol is the other sellable asset but losing both would be too much to take.

This

No matter how much ppl rate colocini, the fact he's on 86k a week mean's he should be sold asap! he must be in the top 5 of highest paid defenders

I believe Ashley's trying to get rid of all high earning players such as Coloccini, Barton, Nolan, Smith, Butt, Xisco and  Jonas

No doubt it would ease the financial situation a lot plus generate a decent amouth of transfer income as well which(at least half of it) would be made available for Hughton to spend on new players. I guess the players above cost us around 350K a week in wages. Plus their market value is around 20 million(Butt leaving for free of course)...

However selling these players would cripple our squad pretty much totally leaving us only with Enrique of any kind of Premier League capability.

Harper/Krul

Simpson  S Taylor  Williamson  Enrique

Routledge    Guthrie    Vuckic

Ranger      Carroll  Lovenkrands

Yep...dead certain relegation is the best we can do with that team

This

No matter how much ppl rate colocini, the fact he's on 86k a week mean's he should be sold asap! he must be in the top 5 of highest paid defenders

And replace him with who?

This

Please, if you're going to continue this campaign against the lad at least spell his name right, just once will do!

And where does 86K come from?

This

Please, if you're going to continue this campaign against the lad at least spell his name right, just once will do!

He is on around the 80k mark.

Guest neesy111

This

the 86k has been well reported in the media, it's not a campaign i can't justify a defender earning that much or someone in our current situation, especially when danny guthrie is only on 4k