Newcastle-Online: Reds v Blues match (all forumites welcome) - JULY 17

Stu
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well played everyone, had a great day and night even if the result wasn't what was required. I thought 6-2 was very flattering but the best team did win. Absolute nightmare trying to deal with Stu, KenDahl and that other lad who ran the show for spells (Deano - Greg's mate? Not a clue). Hopefully not too long to wait for the next match.

I'm fucking pig sick of right-back now like. Absolutely hopeless there. Would love a go elsewhere but i suppose it's gotta be earnt.

Where else do you see yourself playing??

There's one position i'd love to have a shot at, but the mere suggestion would probably be laughed at forever more.

I just don't think i've got a particularly good defensive brain in the slightest. If i'm ever to not fuck up, it's thanks to a pre-bollocking from either yourself or Crofty. It's like i need a list of instructions, or simply to have my hand held constantly. I started a 'help me' thread a while back in the NOFC forum and i read your extended reply a good three or four times, but i don't know, i guess a general awareness is something you just can't teach.

I mean, there was one point fairly late in the game, where i managed to zip back during a Red counter and intercepted a through ball. I did the donkey work pretty well - ie "MUST STOP PASS" - then just didn't have a fucking clue what to do with it upon arrival, and ended up just being tackled on the edge of the box. Absolutely gifted them a fresh opportunity, moments after having done fairly well to extinguish the initial one.

Obviously, the easy, childish option is to say "i wanna go upfront" - but i think given the choice every fucker would like to play up there.

I suppose assigning positions to players like myself is something that can only be achieved through training. With some players, they're obviously a defender, or obviously a winger, or whatever. But for some of the clogger jack-of-all-trades, it's harder to pin a place upon them. For school and such-like i always played upfront but that was years ago now.

I dunno. Without being a mopey, "o im so shit luk at me" fucker i suppose i'm just getting a bit narked about the whole shabang. I know i don't travel as far as some, but it's just a bit gut-wrenching getting up at that time, travelling that distance just to play absolute turd every time. Bleurgh.

End of mope.

I'm fucking pig sick of right-back now like. Absolutely hopeless there. Would love a go elsewhere but i suppose it's gotta be earnt.

Where else do you see yourself playing??

There's one position i'd love to have a shot at, but the mere suggestion would probably be laughed at forever more.

I just don't think i've got a particularly good defensive brain in the slightest. If i'm ever to not fuck up, it's thanks to a pre-bollocking from either yourself or Crofty. It's like i need a list of instructions, or simply to have my hand held constantly. I started a 'help me' thread a while back in the NOFC forum and i read your extended reply a good three or four times, but i don't know, i guess a general awareness is something you just can't teach.

I mean, there was one point fairly late in the game, where i managed to zip back during a Red counter and intercepted a through ball. I did the donkey work pretty well - ie "MUST STOP PASS" - then just didn't have a fucking clue what to do with it upon arrival, and ended up just being tackled on the edge of the box. Absolutely gifted them a fresh opportunity, moments after having done fairly well to extinguish the initial one.

Obviously, the easy, childish option is to say "i wanna go upfront" - but i think given the choice every fucker would like to play up there.

I suppose assigning positions to players like myself is something that can only be achieved through training. With some players, they're obviously a defender, or obviously a winger, or whatever. But for some of the clogger jack-of-all-trades, it's harder to pin a place upon them. For school and such-like i always played upfront but that was years ago now.

I dunno. Without being a mopey, "o im so shit luk at me" fucker i suppose i'm just getting a bit narked about the whole shabang. I know i don't travel as far as some, but it's just a bit gut-wrenching getting up at that time, travelling that distance just to play absolute turd every time. Bleurgh.

End of mope.

Up front is the hardest position to play well IMO.

Just have a go up top next time for a bit Yorkie and see how you do. Nowt stopping you.

I concur with our toffee compadre, and I said as much in the pub yesterday. Defending is a piece of piss compared to being a striker. The responsibility on the shoulders of the front man is massive. If they play shite it effects the whole team's performance. You've got to get the touches right, hold the ball if needed and be ready to take what little scoring opportunity might come your way. And those opportunities can be few and far between.

When I'm playing CB and we concede I can usually pick out 2 or 3 mistakes that have been made further up the pitch before it gets anywhere in my vicinity. And that's assuming the move/ball has come anywhere near me in the first place. When you are a forward and you get a scoring chance, it's normally because your team-mates have done everything well to get the ball to you in that position. If you fuck up it's squarely on your shoulders. That's why strikers have to be so selfish, single-minded and self-confident. It's a giganticly huge responsibility.

If you want a run out up front I've got no problem with it though Yorkie. Everyone pays the money and is entitled to enjoy their game as much as the next man. Have you thought about right-midfield rather than right-back? There's slightly less pressure defensively and you can get forward. You need to be confident in your delivery though as losing the ball in good attacking positions really makes loud mouthed cockney centre back's very angry.

I played cricket today too, and played well for the first time in my existence.

Saturday I scored a 75 yard overhead kick, today I came in as a tail ender when we were no hopers, and I was part of a 45 partnership and we won the game. I mean, I scored 15 of the 45, but still, the order was collapsing and we stopped the rot.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I assumed Dave meant fakeDave and rich was another one of your 27 ringers.

'fakeDave' (James) was the only 'ringer' as such that we had (and I really think 'ringer' is stretching it, I said I would be bringing a 'runner' - that's basically what I did :lol:) knew Disco Mark would have a whinge about the 'unfair teams' but I didn't think you would...

The only issue I had is that I asked for a few of the spare men from the blue team before the match started to cover our subs, since we only had 11 starters (with Gorilla getting injured), and got none. We got one at half time in Liam (who helped a lot), where as Blues had 3-4 subs at any given time. So ringers or not, it was a bit shit from the blues not to share the spare players around.

I concur with our toffee compadre, and I said as much in the pub yesterday. Defending is a piece of piss compared to being a striker. The responsibility on the shoulders of the front man is massive. If they play shite it effects the whole team's performance. You've got to get the touches right, hold the ball if needed and be ready to take what little scoring opportunity might come your way. And those opportunities can be few and far between.

When I'm playing CB and we concede I can usually pick out 2 or 3 mistakes that have been made further up the pitch before it gets anywhere in my vicinity. And that's assuming the move/ball has come anywhere near me in the first place. When you are a forward and you get a scoring chance, it's normally because your team-mates have done everything well to get the ball to you in that position. If you fuck up it's squarely on your shoulders. That's why strikers have to be so selfish, single-minded and self-confident. It's a giganticly huge responsibility.

If you want a run out up front I've got no problem with it though Yorkie. Everyone pays the money and is entitled to enjoy their game as much as the next man. Have you thought about right-midfield rather than right-back? There's slightly less pressure defensively and you can get forward. You need to be confident in your delivery though as losing the ball in good attacking positions really makes loud mouthed cockney centre back's very angry.

I'd love a bash on the wing like.

Transcript of one of Stu's and mine's discussions on the touchline:

Stu: Where do you fancy playing now, Yorkie?

Me: I'll play anywhere tbh man - but i don't think we need to change much atm.

Stu: Well i mean, it's about winning but it's about having a laugh aswell - if you fancy playing somewhere else, just say.

Me: I do fancy a bash on the wi.....

Stu: Yorkie, on at right-back please mate.

:laugh: I don't think he heard me to be fair to him. But yeah, i'd be delighted with a game on the wing tbh. Like i say, i can do the donkey work getting back and whatnot, and there's less pressure as you point out. Just a game further up the field without as much defensive responsibility would be great, cos i reckon i'm faltering with it a little bit.

I've just realised now that the Blues' right-winger who scored one wasn't Dave. :lol:

Even when I shook his hand after the game I said "well played Dave". I'm guessing that was Stu's mate then?

:lol:

http://uktv.co.uk/images/standarditem/m/579396_m.jpg

You need to change your username to trigger. :nods:

Brilliant. :lol:

I concur with our toffee compadre, and I said as much in the pub yesterday. Defending is a piece of piss compared to being a striker. The responsibility on the shoulders of the front man is massive. If they play s**** it effects the whole team's performance. You've got to get the touches right, hold the ball if needed and be ready to take what little scoring opportunity might come your way. And those opportunities can be few and far between.

When I'm playing CB and we concede I can usually pick out 2 or 3 mistakes that have been made further up the pitch before it gets anywhere in my vicinity. And that's assuming the move/ball has come anywhere near me in the first place. When you are a forward and you get a scoring chance, it's normally because your team-mates have done everything well to get the ball to you in that position. If you f*** up it's squarely on your shoulders. That's why strikers have to be so selfish, single-minded and self-confident. It's a giganticly huge responsibility.

As a fairly confident centre half, I would have to disagree with some of your sentiments in all honesty. However, after playing up front for the first time in my life, I do realise the pressure that's on the shoulders of the striker better now.

I was shite, I didn't hold up the ball well or score form my chances which did nowt to help the defence out - something I'd normally whinge endlessly about. I'm glad to hear people say I worked hard though because that's the very least recognition I wish to take from anything in life.

I guess part of my problem is that I don't take these games as seriously as some - I love my football don't get me wrong but to me these are more fun than a die-hard game.

I know people won't like me saying that but tough shit.

Anyone should have the chance to play where they are most comfortable in my opinion. I was lucky and spoke up that I wanted to try up front. I'm a centre half, and I should stick to that having tried my final position out. It's something that has to be learned, positional sense, talking, knowing when and why, and that is something I have at CB and nowhere else. I've never been 'talented' but after working very hard to be a fairly okay CB, I can now see how worthwhile the passion and work rate has been.

Transcript of one of Stu's and mine's discussions on the touchline: (it was 3-1)

Me: I'll play anywhere tbh man - but i don't think we need to change much atm, we want to win

(nods of agreement from Prophet and the other blue sub)

Stu: Well i mean, it's about winning but it's about having a laugh aswell - if you fancy playing somewhere else, just say.

:laugh: I don't think he heard me to be fair to him. But yeah, i'd be delighted with a game on the wing tbh. Like i say, i can do the donkey work getting back and whatnot, and there's less pressure as you point out. Just a game further up the field without as much defensive responsibility would be great, cos i reckon i'm faltering with it a little bit.

Pretty much verbatim Y2k.

As the other lads have said, playing up front is pretty gash unless you're a) ridiculously good or b) ridiculously quick.

Personally, I try and put two of my better players at full-back as they inevitably have the most time on the ball (see QBG).

I think your example of how you "fucked up" at the end was more of a confidence thing with a bit of tiredness setting in, rather than a full-back specific problem :lol:

PS: There's a general theme of 'you should be allowed to play wherever you like' - I don't think anyone's ever been 'stopped' from playing in a different position. Usually we have 5 right-backs for each team :lol: as Heza points out, it does require you to speak up as no-one's a mind reader

'fakeDave' (James) was the only 'ringer' as such that we had (and I really think 'ringer' is stretching it, I said I would be bringing a 'runner' - that's basically what I did :lol:) knew Disco Mark would have a whinge about the 'unfair teams' but I didn't think you would...

The only issue I had is that I asked for a few of the spare men from the blue team before the match started to cover our subs, since we only had 11 starters (with Gorilla getting injured), and got none. We got one at half time in Liam (who helped a lot), where as Blues had 3-4 subs at any given time. So ringers or not, it was a bit shit from the blues not to share the spare players around.

PS: this is a crock of shit, firstly - you didn't turn up until the second half (:blush:) and two of us didn't turn up until after KO. At which point, Gorilla had just left for hospital and the other subs were Madras (blue) and his nephew Liam (red). Then CP40 turned up with his kid to watch.

Don't know where the other 2 subs appeared from...(hiding at the start?)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

PS: this is a crock of shit, firstly - you didn't turn up until the second half (:blush:) and two of us didn't turn up until after KO. At which point, Gorilla had just left for hospital and the other subs were Madras (blue) and his nephew Liam (red). Then CP40 turned up with his kid to watch.

Don't know where the other 2 subs appeared from...(hiding at the start?)

Well that's three, which is what I said, compared to the Blue's 1 sub, which we found out about at half time. It was the only issue I had, wasn't bothered about the 11v11, but the extra subs was a bit of a pain - especially after 2-3 blues said they weren't coming and extras were 'drafted' in to replace them.

I can barely walk today like. Thigh muscle is killing me, shows how unfit i am. Really enjoyed playing in goal, been a while since I've done so on full pitch so had a couple of shaky moment but didn't do too bad although i still reckon i should've stopped Blues first goal and possibly the 4th.

Transcript of one of Stu's and mine's discussions on the touchline: (it was 3-1)

Me: I'll play anywhere tbh man - but i don't think we need to change much atm, we want to win

As the other lads have said, playing up front is pretty gash unless you're a) ridiculously good or b) ridiculously quick.

Personally, I try and put two of my better players at full-back as they inevitably have the most time on the ball (see QBG).

I think your example of how you "fucked up" at the end was more of a confidence thing with a bit of tiredness setting in, rather than a full-back specific problem :lol:

PS: There's a general theme of 'you should be allowed to play wherever you like' - I don't think anyone's ever been 'stopped' from playing in a different position. Usually we have 5 right-backs for each team :lol: as Heza points out,] it does require you to speak up as no-one's a mind reader

Well aye that's what i'm doing isn't it. I fancy a bash on the wing next time. :aww:

Guest neesy111
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg830/scaled.php?tn=0&server=830&filename=65190617.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

I concur with our toffee compadre, and I said as much in the pub yesterday. Defending is a piece of piss compared to being a striker. The responsibility on the shoulders of the front man is massive. If they play s**** it effects the whole team's performance. You've got to get the touches right, hold the ball if needed and be ready to take what little scoring opportunity might come your way. And those opportunities can be few and far between.

When I'm playing CB and we concede I can usually pick out 2 or 3 mistakes that have been made further up the pitch before it gets anywhere in my vicinity. And that's assuming the move/ball has come anywhere near me in the first place. When you are a forward and you get a scoring chance, it's normally because your team-mates have done everything well to get the ball to you in that position. If you f*** up it's squarely on your shoulders. That's why strikers have to be so selfish, single-minded and self-confident. It's a giganticly huge responsibility.

Transcript of one of Stu's and mine's discussions on the touchline:

Me: I'll play anywhere tbh man - but i don't think we need to change much atm.

Next match just play wherever you fancy man. Aye, when your travelling a long way for a match of course you want to win but the primary reason for playing is enjoyment. I'm not a particularly good player in the middle but it was something different and I enjoyed it, if you fancy playing up front just give it a bash.

I think your example of how you "f***ed up" at the end was more of a confidence thing with a bit of tiredness setting in, rather than a full-back specific problem :lol:

PS: There's a general theme of 'you should be allowed to play wherever you like' - I don't think anyone's ever been 'stopped' from playing in a different position. Usually we have 5 right-backs for each team :lol: as Heza points out,] it does require you to speak up as no-one's a mind reader

Well aye that's what i'm doing isn't it. I fancy a bash on the wing next time. :aww:

If your playing on the wing i want to be a WB for that....Your in for a tough night :)

What does everything think about the next one? I think we should have reasonable gap but not too long and thus would propose Saturday 4th September (International weekend).

That sounds good to me, Greg. A couple of months or so between each seems good as for them not to lose their edge, but obviously it depends when people are available.

Guest neesy111

What does everything think about the next one? I think we should have reasonable gap but not too long and thus would propose Saturday 4th September (International weekend).

As long i know in advance, then it is fine!

i leave on the 18th of sept so that would be a great date for me