ianovthetoon

Pros:

Scores lots of goals

Allegedly supports(or has a soft spot for) us

Free

Will have a point to prove in a better league

Better than Best surely

Cons:

Generally poor record against Celtic & European teams - a gamble in the Prem?

Lazy?

If Carroll is our first choice striker, can he play alongside him? Supposedly lacks pace but not the end of the world

Afonso Alves

12 million pound Afonso Alves. Boyd would be a tad cheaper to find out if he can make it.

I don't disagree with taking a chance on Boyd, but the person before me listed his goal record in Scotland and said he would therefore be a great signing when it's a fairly meaningless stat. Ala Afonso Alves.

Guest firetotheworks

My boss is a Rangers fan. His opinion is that he'd be good for us. Lazy, but a good poacher. In other words, if he doesn't score we'll hate him probably.

When he fails to score, however, his overall contribution to the team is often questioned.[42] Manager Walter Smith occasionally chose not to play him owing to his lack of contribution to the overall team performance;[43] With Smith's common 4–5–1 formation, Boyd was not seen to be an effective lone striker.[44] Commentators have noted, however, that as his style of play relies on good service from the rest of the team Boyd may have been an effective player in an earlier era when Rangers' affluence afforded them higher-quality players with which to service the striker.[39]

Guest dazzanufc1892

superb signing, we need somebody that has done it in a team in europe and scored at international level, we dont have that currently.

Shola isnt ever going to be good enough, carroll, we can be hopeful on, and same with lovenkrands, after that though, we are looking at best unfortunately and ranger, who may well end up in a gun fight by the end of the week.

The striker version of Nolan by the sounds of things (not from an anatomical point of view, but a footballing one).

If he's nowt but a poacher he'll probably have a nominal effect with the squad as it is. However, we do need a proven finisher in the squad. All we've got at the moment in that respect is Shola - and we know his ability infront of goal has always been diluted by the fact he's shite everywhere else. I'd have hoped we'd find someone to play with Carroll, a better version of Lovenkrands basically, but that's very idealistic. It's gonna be incremental steps, especially with the tight budget.

Solid signing if it comes off, on paper anyways.

superb signing, we need somebody that has done it in a team in europe and scored at international level, we dont have that currently.

Shola isnt ever going to be good enough, carroll, we can be hopeful on, and same with lovenkrands, after that though, we are looking at best unfortunately and ranger, who may well end up in a gun fight by the end of the week.

Shola has scored more goals in Europe that Kris Boyd has. :D  You do know Boyd has only scored 3 goals in Europe?

Guest firetotheworks

Isn't his european record very poor? i know his old firm one is shocking.

They're both bigger fish than we need to fry at the moment though tbh.

On a free it's worth the gamble. He seems to do very well in Scotland and if he can do it down here great, if not - no biggy - flog him back to the jocks.

If we also manage to get Wilshire from Arsenal on loan then these two with Carroll and Lovenkrands is the best we can hope for. It's not great but I'm confident it is better than a few teams at the bottom of that league.

apparently he's only ever scored once against celtic. rest of the goals are against championship standard teams - or lower, in plenty of cases. sounds like a crap version of michael owen - and owen is himself crap. do we really want to get into a situation where we end up carrying a non-entity up front cos we know he is a good 'poacher'? last time we tried it with a better player we got relegated.

I agree. Beating Celtic isn't high on our agenda.

Guest firetotheworks

apparently he's only ever scored once against celtic. rest of the goals are against championship standard teams - or lower, in plenty of cases. sounds like a crap version of michael owen - and owen is himself crap. do we really want to get into a situation where we end up carrying a non-entity up front cos we know he is a good 'poacher'? last time we tried it with a better player we got relegated.

Who else is free that has as much a chance of being good enough? I know we could scout, but that's for future seasons usually.

if he cant score against Celtic, what chance has he against 3/4 of the Premier league?

Who else is free that has as much a chance of being good enough? I know we could scout, but that's for future seasons usually.

Dindane?

Guest Roger Kint

I agree. Beating Celtic isn't high on our agenda.

Since 2006/07

Celtic - 411 mins 0 goals

Europe - 180 minutes 0 goals

Played in the equivelent of 6 and a hlaf games v them in 3 seasons according to soccerbase.  :undecided:

We're signing a guy who scores goals in Scotland for fun, quite literally hundreds, and we're signing him for free.  All supposedly.

And some people here still wouldn't have him.  On a free.  Christ, guys, what do you want?  Liverpool giving us Torres and £100m for taking him off their hands?

I just dont understand.

People don't want old, experienced players because they're past it and have high waged demands?

And they don't want players untested in the top league because 'they aren't good enough'

What on earth do you want on a shoe-string budget?!?

Wigan took a chance on Jason Scotland from the Championship. He scored ONE league goal for them last season, and they survived (and he played 32 times). Wigan survived with that fucking cretin up front, unless Boyd starts scoring own goals we'll be fine. [/if football was played on paper]