David Ginola

LooneyToonArmy

His goals against Sheff Wed, Liverpool, and Man United are still a big part of huge, era-defining moments for me in terms of watching Newcastle growing up. That's pretty good going like, considering he only scored 7 goals for us. He was an absolute superstar in those first 6 months and the epitome of a big-match player, as a lot of them were.

Spot on. I was in my early teens when watching him. That goal against Ferencvaros is the one for me that was pure magic.

Guest Open_C

Weird. Had BBC Newcastle on last night and they had a report from his agent saying he'd just passed out.

Aye, BBC were reporting this morning that he was playing down the rumours and blaming it on being a hot day

Remember when he absolutely destroyed Neil Cox when we played Middlebrough. Cox looked at their bench for help with his arms out and was taken off shortly afterwards :smitten:

That was amazing - pure humiliation.

Guest Julie Anderton

The referee at Highbury that night was Gerald Ashby. I've never forgotten his name. It was one of those nights where something in the air just wasn't right.

David had spoken well of us and our city for a long time now but can anyone remember what the handsome devil actually said about Newcastle when he left? I only know that he felt angry towards Keegan for not letting him join Barcelona only for Kev to quit a few months later.

He was spectacular when he arrived. Remember he got rave reviews when we played Celtic in a pre-season friendly at an under-construction Celtic Park. It wasn't on Tv so hearing it on the radio and people were going on about him and made me so excited for the season to start. His first 4 games were fabulous. After that Bolton game, really wanted him to score quickly and he got it against Sheffield Wednesday. Was my favourite player and when he got sent off against Arsenal on Tv, I cried. I was 10 years old though. :lol:

The referee at Highbury that night was Gerald Ashby. I've never forgotten his name. It was one of those nights where something in the air just wasn't right.

David had spoken well of us and our city for a long time now but can anyone remember what the handsome devil actually said about Newcastle when he left? I only know that he felt angry towards Keegan for not letting him join Barcelona only for Kev to quit a few months later.

He had a dig at the city.

He was spectacular when he arrived. Remember he got rave reviews when we played Celtic in a pre-season friendly at an under-construction Celtic Park. It wasn't on Tv so hearing it on the radio and people were going on about him and made me so excited for the season to start. His first 4 games were fabulous. After that Bolton game, really wanted him to score quickly and he got it against Sheffield Wednesday. Was my favourite player and when he got sent off against Arsenal on Tv, I cried. I was 10 years old though. :lol:

Lee Dixon was just hoofing him off the park and the ref done nothing about it. 

Ginola got sent off that game, didn't he? Distinctly remember it being on Sky and the touchline reporter saying he was livid going down the tunnel shouting "Why won't they let me play football?"

And he did say something in the press conference when he signed for Spurs about London being a much better place to live than Newcastle.

He punched Dixon and the ref sent him off. The ref let Dixon get away with murder.  I remember KK being livid and nearly came to blows on the touch line with Bruce Rioch??

Rob Lee tells a decent story about nights out when they went as a team, he said they'd send Ginola & Ferdinand in first and then the rest would follow in later and pick up whichever women didn't make the cut with Ginola & Ferdinand.

Ginola was the first player I had on the back of my shirt, maybe it was because he was foreign but it certainly seemed like he was the first 'superstar' that we bought. The way he took the ball from right in the left back corner against Neil Cox & beat him and then played it back to a defender was a serious case of I know I'm so much better than you from him. It did seem too easy for him at times.

Hopefully it's not as a serious as is being reported as although it did end on a sour note with him here he always has good things to say now and actually seems to care about the club.

Ginola got sent off that game, didn't he? Distinctly remember it being on Sky and the touchline reporter saying he was livid going down the tunnel shouting "Why won't they let me play football?"

And he did say something in the press conference when he signed for Spurs about London being a much better place to live than Newcastle.

Coca Cola QF? I'm sure it was on ITV

Coca Cola QF? I'm sure it was on ITV

Yeah it was.