Palace saved from going into liquidation

ChrisJbarnes

Selhurst Park has been the home to Palace, Wimbledon  & Charlton in my life time, may as well save a bit time & send the administrator round to Charlton now as the curse will strike its third & final victim.

Goldberg took over Palace as multi millionaire he left & was declared bankrupt in 2000. Now manager of Bromly.

Selhurst memories

http://i.holmesdale.net/news/1236.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/20/article-0-000C962100000258-267_224x423.jpg#

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/5/15/1242407951366/Eric-Cantonas-infamous-ku-001.jpg

Forgive my ignorance - is there a precedent for a club essentially disappearing?

Does the FA have a set of rules that govern this situation?

It seems that the clubs that struggle go in to administration and reform while keeping their place in the division they are in. Total winding up seems to only happen with clubs outside the leagues in the lower reaches of the pyramid.

I remember a case a few years ago in Spain, where a small but well-off club bought a higher-ranked but bankrupt club, and took their place in the higher league.

Yes, Ciudad de Murcia in the Second Division was bought by a guy from Granada and took it there and became Granada 74, with the old Granada 74 becoming the new one's feeder team. The Spanish FA opposed it but the Spanish courts ruled in favor of Granada.

They became football pariahs and chained relegation after relegation and eventually dissolved, although the original Granada 74 still exists.

There are, however, several examples of Spanish clubs wound up and reformed on the lower echelons: Logroñés, Oviedo, Málaga... a lot of times what happens is the former reserve teams are able to retain their place in their division, and become the new "senior" club. That obviously can't happen in England.

My local club at the moment. The team I play for have pitches backing on to their training ground. Would be a shocker to see them go under.

I saw them on the train platform this season when colin was there, they were on their way to an away game. Ambrose is a good looking bloke :smitten:

Also, if your Palace fan I doubt come the morra you will be getting your route planner out & thinking should I go to Millwall or Charlton now.

You'd need a route planner too, like, as there are few easy connections between the Millwall and Charlton parts of the city and the Crystal Palace area -- and the same only more so for people living further west. If you're not in the same "corridor" as another area, it's often a case of travelling into a city-centre station and then out again. South London is a big area with three million inhabitants, and Millwall feels a very long way from Selhurst Park.

I suppose I thought of this because I can remember watching football on Sky at my local in Brixton, and there were a bunch of dreads who'd aimably cheer for "Sarf London" when Wimbledon (then still in London, and in the Prem) were playing. They weren't Wimbledon fans, really, but preferred a bit of local-ish pride to the big North London clubs.

(There was also a Geordie dread called Martin, from Wallsend -- the only other guy cheering the Toon.)

Also, if your Palace fan I doubt come the morra you will be getting your route planner out & thinking should I go to Millwall or Charlton now.

You'd need a route planner too, like, as there are few easy connections between the Millwall and Charlton parts of the city and the Crystal Palace area -- and the same only more so for people living further west. If you're not in the same "corridor" as another area, it's often a case of travelling into a city-centre station and then out again. South London is a big area with three million inhabitants, and Millwall feels a very long way from Selhurst Park.

I suppose I thought of this because I can remember watching football on Sky at my local in Brixton, and there were a bunch of dreads who'd aimably cheer for "Sarf London" when Wimbledon (then still in London, and in the Prem) were playing. They weren't Wimbledon fans, really, but preferred a bit of local-ish pride to the big North London clubs.

(There was also a Geordie dread called Martin, from Wallsend -- the only other guy cheering the Toon.)

Yeah, there's fuck all south of the river really. You've got Millwall in bermondsy but unless you actually support them most people would rather rip their own eyeballs out than follow them, Charlton are fucking miles away so Palace would be a big miss.

Having said that, everyone wants to be a 'prem fan' these days. Huge numbers of Chelsea, Arsenal and even fucking Spurs fans in Sauf Lahndan these days.

Yeah, there's fuck all south of the river really. You've got Millwall in bermondsy but unless you actually support them most people would rather rip their own eyeballs out than follow them, Charlton are fucking miles away so Palace would be a big miss.

Having said that, everyone wants to be a 'prem fan' these days. Huge numbers of Chelsea, Arsenal and even fucking Spurs fans in Sauf Lahndan these days.

I think it's long been the case that many people from south-west London will nip over the river to Chelsea or Fulham. If you're in Battersea, Clapham, Putney etc they're probably your nearest clubs.

And yeah, Charlton are so far over to the east that their big local rivalry is with West Ham, even though their catchment area overlaps a bit with Millwall's.

Charlton are pretty much irrelevant tbh, they don't really have any local rival but they've made decent inroads in kent positioning themselves as a family club, much to their credit. For instance they run a coach at cost to my home town (i.e. where my parents live) but they still seem a very 'quiche' club. They don't inspire much passion.

Charlton are pretty much irrelevant tbh, they don't really have any local rival but they've made decent inroads in kent positioning themselves as a family club, much to their credit. For instance they run a coach at cost to my home town (i.e. where my parents live) but they still seem a very 'quiche' club. They don't inspire much passion.

Used to run coaches from all over the show in the SE when they were in the Prem. Remember a lad at uni from Basingstoke saying CAFC were putting buses on. Mackemesque.

Used to run coaches from all over the show in the SE when they were in the Prem. Remember a lad at uni from Basingstoke saying CAFC were putting buses on. Mackemesque.

It's fair play I reckon. They're a small club and have made a genuine effort to engage fans who don't have a natural local club rather than being lazy and relying on a built in fanbase that doesn't exist.

I know a lad who supports Gillingham and he's always moaning about how Charlton cast their net far and wide with the bus service and similar, reckons it knocks their attendances.

The interested group begging in the Sun that Cameron step in and stop the Bank of Scotland (since it's government owned) from demanding more money for the debt - good luck with that :lol:

The interested group begging in the Sun that Cameron step in and stop the Bank of Scotland (since it's government owned) from demanding more money for the debt - good luck with that :lol:

worth a go, what other option do they have really

sad times :weep:

Guest gggg

Sounds like  CPFC 2010 trying to flex their muscles. Making demands for things they can't afford, or we'll do this and everyone will blame YOU...

Sounds like  CPFC 2010 trying to flex their muscles. Making demands for things they can't afford, or we'll do this and everyone will blame YOU...

Trying to use public pressure to get the club on the cheap. We've seen it ourselves.

Guest GAMMELL

Gutted for the old man, he's a Palace fan, been to Selhurst on a good few occasions with him. Shocking stuff.

worth a go, what other option do they have really

sad times :weep:

They could pay what it's actually worth.

I can't believe that in the situation they're in, they're trying to get the club on the cheap. It's desperate times man, just get the money and pay what the administrators want - it's too late to negotiate.

I know a lad who supports Gillingham and he's always moaning about how Charlton cast their net far and wide with the bus service and similar, reckons it knocks their attendances.

You'd have to pay me to get me to go to Gillingham, let alone Priestfield.

*shudders*

Can't see exactly what the petition says at work (Blocked under the category "advocacy groups" by our automatic web filtering system) but it can't hurt if we can get a few signatures on there and show a bit of support. I can only imagine how awful it must feel to have your club threatened with closure so imminently.

Signing the petition may not do much good but at least it shows that we feel for where their fans are at the moment and shows a bit of solidarity. Could so easily be us with the debt we've got.

Guest guinness_fiend

It's about time that a few clubs were punished for financial and corporate mismanagement.  As sad as it would be to see Crystal Palace go, it's now a business that has been run into the ground.  Hopefully, other clubs will start to take note.

It's about time that a few clubs were punished for financial and corporate mismanagement.  As sad as it would be to see Crystal Palace go, it's now a business that has been run into the ground.  Hopefully, other clubs will start to take note.

Was just about to post something similar to that.

Every club so far has "got away with it" in the long terms, while shitting on it's employees in the process.

Football probably needs a few higher profile failed administrations before anything will be done about it.

Every club so far has "got away with it" in the long terms, while shitting on it's employees in the process.

Football probably needs a few higher profile failed administrations before anything will be done about it.

I kind of agree with this sentiment, the only problem is that the people least to blame (the fans) are the people who are punished in the worst way, by the disappearance of their football club.

It's about time that a few clubs were punished for financial and corporate mismanagement. As sad as it would be to see Crystal Palace go, it's now a business that has been run into the ground. Hopefully, other clubs will start to take note.

I kind of agree with this sentiment, the only problem is that the people least to blame (the fans) are the people who are punished in the worst way, by the disappearance of their football club.

:thup:

A lot of them will have lost their jobs in the process.