Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does Jong Tae-se have a South Korean passport? I read in the Times  or LA Times, that he had specifically rejected the South Korean citizenship. Although he's lived in Japan his entire life, he is not a citizen. 

In any case, I don't think that he was that impressive. And as far as his tearing up over the North Korean anthem....we'll see if he chooses to actually live in North Korea after the World Cup is over. All signs point to him staying in Japan and angling for a move to Europe.

His situation, coupled with that of the Korean diaspora in Japan is... complex to say the least.

Short version, he has a South Korean passport because his parents are nominally South Korean because they (or their parents) who had been living in Japan because they/their parents were brought there as laborers during the occupation chose "South" when we were divided after Independance.

So despite being South Korean they have very little allegiance to South Korea in particular and most likely have never been there, which lead them to send him to a North Korean school in Japan. (because North Korea offers more support to its Japanese diaspora than South Korea, including offering free schooling, probably because they need the better PR.)

Having attended a North Korean school from a young age, Jeong identifies himself as North Korean despite living in Japan all his life and having no intention of ever moving to North Korea, just like thousands of other Korean Diaspora in Japan who've attended North Korean schools do.

I can understand the reaction to the national anthem. The "Jainichi" are a heavily marginalized minority in Japanese society and he's probably lived with a lot of discrimination his whole life. It was probably a combination sheer joy out of just being there + the feeling of achievement that he's finally in a position to sing the national anthem he learned as a schoolboy without anyone looking at him funny.

Like I said, complex :razz:

Now, I'm the last person to defend Jeong (or his parents') choice of nationality (YOU'VE GOT SOUTH KOREAN PASSPORTS YOU IDIOTS :facepalm:,) but it's more complex than "he doesn't even live in North Korea! GLORY HUNTER WTF!!!"

Does Jong Tae-se have a South Korean passport? I read in the Times  or LA Times, that he had specifically rejected the South Korean citizenship. Although he's lived in Japan his entire life, he is not a citizen. 

In any case, I don't think that he was that impressive. And as far as his tearing up over the North Korean anthem....we'll see if he chooses to actually live in North Korea after the World Cup is over. All signs point to him staying in Japan and angling for a move to Europe.

His situation, coupled with that of the Korean diaspora in Japan is... complex to say the least.

Short version, he has a South Korean passport because his parents are nominally South Korean because they (or their parents) who had been living in Japan because they/their parents were brought there as laborers during the occupation chose "South" when we were divided after Independance.

So despite being South Korean they have very little allegiance to South Korea in particular and most likely have never been there, which lead them to send him to a North Korean school in Japan. (because North Korea offers more support to its Japanese diaspora than South Korea, including offering free schooling, probably because they need the better PR.)

Having attended a North Korean school from a young age, Jeong identifies himself as North Korean despite living in Japan all his life and having no intention of ever moving to North Korea, just like thousands of other Korean Diaspora in Japan who've attended North Korean schools do.

I can understand the reaction to the national anthem. The "Jainichi" are a heavily marginalized minority in Japanese society and he's probably lived with a lot of discrimination his whole life. It was probably a combination sheer joy out of just being there + the feeling of achievement that he's finally in a position to sing the national anthem he learned as a schoolboy without anyone looking at him funny.

Now, I'm the last person to defend Jeong (or his parents') choice of nationality (YOU'VE GOT SOUTH KOREAN PASSPORTS YOU IDIOTS :facepalm:,) but it's more complex than "he doesn't even live in North Korea! GLORY HUNTER WTF!!!"

Interesting post.

Reminds me of visiting Romania way back in the communist days, where I met some members of the ethnic German community in Transylvania. Their families had been there for centuries. They were all moaning about hating Romania (which was, to be fair, in those days, a totalitarian shithole) and wishing they could move to Germany. But you could, I said, go to East Germany. No! they replied. We are WEST Germans!

Excellent read.

Watching a Rooney press conference is difficult.

He was asked about the people's Rooney, had no idea. Was asked about Ozil, had no idea  :nope:

He congratulated Ozil on his goal...

Watching a Rooney press conference is difficult.

He was asked about the people's Rooney, had no idea. Was asked about Ozil, had no idea  :nope:

He congratulated Ozil on his goal...

It made me cringe. His little face was just hoping Ozil had scored  :lol:

What they dont realise is that the ball is adidas's fault, they told the designers at loughborough which specifications they wanted i.e. aerodynamics, roundness ect. The designers the made the best ball they could to meet these specifications after testing it with kicking machines, wind tunnels ect. It was then manufactuared in Germany.

In theory it is the highest quality ball ever made, however it is so affected by conditions it is hard to get used to playing with.

If it is kicked the right way it could do amazing things, I imagine that later on in the tournament we will see some spectacular goals

Players are blaming the ball... All I've seen so far is a lack of real effort and urgency, in a lot of the matches.

Agweed. Portugal/IC being a prime example. And our match, in fact. Disgraceful, tbh.

What I don't quite get is the claim that the ball is lighter than ever, every time. When I was a kid the better balls were 'official size and weight' - don't they bother with that any more?

What I don't quite get is the claim that the ball is lighter than ever, every time. When I was a kid the better balls were 'official size and weight' - don't they bother with that any more?

Yes, it's bullshit. They have to be in a certain weight range, not sure exactly what but the range is only about 2 ounces.

There is a guy on Honduras, well he was there the last time they played the US. Can't remember his name, but he was on the right side. Hope he's there today.

edit: I think it's that guy Alvarez that's there now. Not sure. Had a damn fine game against us.