Spain win World Cup 2010

ElDiablo
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Like Barca, Spain also have a very good pressing game, to go with their creativity in attack. They completely stifled the Germans. If they play like that on Sunday, they'll win.

Pressing right up the pitch is a key part of what they are about and it's rarely mentioned actually.

The game didn't go how I thought it would. I could see Spain having to commit more and more men forward and then get punished on the break. But the minute they lost the ball, they closed the Germans right down and stopped any flow to their attacks. Basically, Spain were too good.

The Germans feeling for the first time that 'fear' the English felt all tournament. The thing I love about Spain although sometimes the overplaying can be irritating is that when they slow it right down, it's kinda hynotic and you can feel the opp going to sleep and then suddenly someone will burst forward and gaps will open. Some lovely stuff tonight. The Dutch will really have to get amongst them or they will be hypnotised as well.

Like Barca, you've got to get stuck into Spain. Let them have the ball, but give them no time on it. And when you get it, get forward as fast as possible. That really gets to them, when they don't have time to play.

the problem is they are so good at not letting you have the ball that by the time you get it you're shagged out from chasing after it.

It worked for Inter and Liverpool, and to a certain extent Chelsea. You don't have to chase them all over the pitch, just close them down hard when they get near your goal. When you get the ball, go directly towards the goal. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200.

The Liverpool-Barca tie in the 2006/7 CL was basically a blueprint on how to beat this Spanish side.

The German side certainly had what they needed--they're sensationally fast and good on the counter--but Löw appears to have told them to stand off, and they let themselves be over-awed by the Spanish passing.

The big weakness of the Spain side is that they don't like it up 'em. Get stuck in, and you'll probably be chasing shadows for 30 minutes, but eventually they'll get rattled.

i disagree. that barce side was very attacking in a way this spanish side isnt, this spanish side plays differently to the one than won the euros two years ago, they are a lot more pragmatic. their plan being if you haven't got the ball you can't score and we'll score eventually.

I don't think it matters that much. It's about throwing them off their game. The Germans just stood off and let the Spanish play. Big mistake.

OptaJoe tweeted that this will be the 6th final where neither team have won the WC before. I can only come up with 5: 1930, 1934, 1958, 1978 and 2010. Whats the 6th?

1954?

Germany - Hungary? Am I wrong?

OptaJoe tweeted that this will be the 6th final where neither team have won the WC before. I can only come up with 5: 1930, 1934, 1958, 1978 and 2010. Whats the 6th?

1954?

Think Hungary were runners-up in either 34 or 38. Starting to wonder if theres only actually 5 haha

Guest gggg

1954?

No

1954?

Think Hungary were runners-up in either 34 or 38. Starting to wonder if theres only actually 5 haha

38; Czechoslovakia was 34; Czechoslovaks, Hungarians, and Dutch are all two time losers.

Doesnt matter, as we're talking about team who had not won the World Cup before, and Hungary had not. So the 6th is Hungary. Its not reached the final, but won the WC, correct?

Doesnt matter, as we're talking about team who had not won the World Cup before, and Hungary had not. So the 6th is Hungary. Its not reached the final, but won the WC, correct?

True. I forgot that minor (MAJOR) detail, sorry about that.

Yep....... more than England.

Read this week they even consider that they have 4. The 1930 and 1950 World Cups plus the 1924 and 1928 Olympic titles that were the only thing before the modern WC format. There's 4 stars on their crest :lol:

Like Barca, Spain also have a very good pressing game, to go with their creativity in attack. They completely stifled the Germans. If they play like that on Sunday, they'll win.

Pressing right up the pitch is a key part of what they are about and it's rarely mentioned actually.

The game didn't go how I thought it would. I could see Spain having to commit more and more men forward and then get punished on the break. But the minute they lost the ball, they closed the Germans right down and stopped any flow to their attacks. Basically, Spain were too good.

The Germans feeling for the first time that 'fear' the English felt all tournament. The thing I love about Spain although sometimes the overplaying can be irritating is that when they slow it right down, it's kinda hynotic and you can feel the opp going to sleep and then suddenly someone will burst forward and gaps will open. Some lovely stuff tonight. The Dutch will really have to get amongst them or they will be hypnotised as well.

Like Barca, you've got to get stuck into Spain. Let them have the ball, but give them no time on it. And when you get it, get forward as fast as possible. That really gets to them, when they don't have time to play.

the problem is they are so good at not letting you have the ball that by the time you get it you're shagged out from chasing after it.

Need to clatter a couple of the peacocks early.

Funny how the mood in the Dutch media has changed after the Spain result. Yesterday it was all hallelujah and bring on the Germans and now it's Spain they seem to think we are the underdog. I am still very confident. Wacko is right about getting in the face of the Spanish players and putting them under pressure, and I think Holland have been doing exactly that quite well this tournament, plus Spain seem to be having trouble scoring, more so than Holland, so I still think we have a good chance. Both teams are terrific at counter attacking football (although both teams also seem to have problems finishing a game off when they break), so I would say scoring the first goal is absolutely crucial in this one...

i would say it was 50/50 chance of either team winning the final. SPain have no real goal threat imo.

Think the game will depend on how well spain stifle holland when the dutch have the ball. The spanish defense have flaws.

A cagey draw then spain to win in ET.  WOuld be very funny if torres actually scores in the final!

was impressed with Spain, their defenders especially for a change - they were pressing so high in attack for the vast majority of the game i felt sure the Germans would just pick them off due to their pack of pace at the back but they never looked in doubt

Alonso made some great interceptions, one of the best games I've seen him play for Spain albeit not with the ball at his feet so much

a lot will depend on Robben come Sunday, he'll have to stretch Spain to the edge for them to have any chance of winning it - if Spain manage to use Busquets correctly and double up on him whenever Holland look to break i think it's Spain's game

Guest Stephen927

Nobody remembers the 3rd placed team, struggling to remember who it was in 2006 actually...