Report: Alan Smith to leave NUFC in January?

Thespence

He's probably gonna sign a new contract, stay for a hundred years, be shitter than ever and be made captain again sometime during the summer.

Could be best news ever, but waiting for official!

Guest Stephen927

Good stuff but he still has to find one. No doubt we'll be paying a portion of his wages but it's better than the full whack.

That would be superb. Bet we've had to pay up a fair chunk of his contract like but still. Positive signs.

Yup - if it is true that he's been released then we must have paid him off. We did something like that with Babayaro IIRC.

How many years and months did he have left ?

Thread title change needed?

Would have expired next summer.

That would be superb. Bet we've had to pay up a fair chunk of his contract like but still. Positive signs.

Yup - if it is true that he's been released then we must have paid him off. We did something like that with Babayaro IIRC.

Aye, could be another mutual termination. No reports he has been released though ...

Imagine there's no Smudger

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one

How many years and months did he have left ?

Thread title change needed?

Would have expired next summer.

Aye, could be another mutual termination. No reports he has been released though ...

So we'd have to pay him a years salary.  Fair enough really.

He was on about £3m a year, so I imagine they have settled for a figure significantly less than that - benefit to him is that he can go off and get a new contract, with (for example) £1.5m in his pocket. Benefits the club as they save some money from the £3m, and benefits the player (he gets to find some match time and still gets a fair bit of wedge, plus a new contract elsewhere).

Seems like a decent bloke, but a disaster here.

Only concern is that the fantastic spirit everyone talks about seems to have been based upon Nolan, Smith, Harper, and to a lesser extent Carroll and Barton. Two of those gone, two of those are likely to be a bit pissed off about contract situation, which leaves Harper, who I imagine will be under a lot of pressure from Krul/Forster next year.

Surely he still has to find a club before he can leave?

As far as i can see he hasn't been "released", although this surely is the first step before he does.

Can't say i hate Smith, despite offering nothing, football wise.

He was on about £3m a year, so I imagine they have settled for a figure significantly less than that - benefit to him is that he can go off and get a new contract, with (for example) £1.5m in his pocket. Benefits the club as they save some money from the £3m, and benefits the player (he gets to find some match time and still gets a fair bit of wedge, plus a new contract elsewhere).

Only concern is that the fantastic spirit everyone talks about seems to have been based upon Nolan, Smith, Harper, and to a lesser extent Carroll and Barton. Two of those gone, two of those are likely to be a bit p*ssed off about contract situation, which leaves Harper, who I imagine will be under a lot of pressure from Krul/Forster next year.

If all these rumours are true about Nolan, Barton, Smith, Ranger etc then it looks like there is a "cleansing" process going on. Golfmag's post all those months ago referred to Ashley's concern that there was too much player power and (I think) a lack of discipline. Maybe now is the fallout time or at least the start of it. 

Only concern is that the fantastic spirit everyone talks about seems to have been based upon Nolan, Smith, Harper, and to a lesser extent Carroll and Barton. Two of those gone, two of those are likely to be a bit p*ssed off about contract situation, which leaves Harper, who I imagine will be under a lot of pressure from Krul/Forster next year.

If all these rumours are true about Nolan, Barton, Smith, Ranger etc then it looks like there is a "cleansing" process going on. Golfmag's post all those months ago referred to Ashley's concern that there was too much player power and (I think) a lack of discipline. Maybe now is the fallout time or at least the start of it. 

Don't think play power has anything to do with it, it's wages IMO.

Certainly agree that there is a certain amount of cleansing like.