Vuvuzela

Thespence

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7286/30864112968205413553111.jpg

World Cup organiser considers vuvuzela ban after TV complaints

Their cacophonous din has so far been a soundtrack for the World Cup, to the delight of some and the profound annoyance of others. But organisers said that the vuvuzela, one of the most visible and certainly most audible motifs of the tournament's opening weekend, could yet be banned from inside stadiums.

Organising committee chief executive Danny Jordaan said he would continue to monitor their use and that a ban could be enforced if there were "grounds to do so".

Fifa and organisers have already said that they will ban the instrument if any are thrown onto the pitch or used as a weapon and urged fans not to blow them during national anthems.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action. We've tried to get some order. We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can," he told the BBC.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis." The BBC and ITV have received complaints from viewers about the background noise and, while both have said they will monitor the situation, they have also made the point that it is important to reflect the atmosphere of the tournament.

Fifa has previously shrugged off complaints from broadcasters, players and coaches about the noise from the plastic horns that are being sold on every street corner in South African host cities.

Following last year's Confederations Cup, there were complaints from coaches, players and broadcasters about the noise. But Fifa said that the horns formed part of the unique African atmosphere of the tournament and refused to ban them.

But Jordaan himself, who battled for 16 years to bring the World Cup to South Africa, said he would prefer the 10 stadiums hosting the World Cup to ring to the sound of singing and dancing than the drone of the vuvuzela.

"I would prefer singing. It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing," he said.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/world-cup-vuvuzela-ban-tv-complaints

Vuvuzelas: 10 things you need to know about the fans' World Cup instrument

1. A vuvuzela is a blowing horn approximately 1 m in length commonly blown by fans at football matches in South Africa.

2. To blow a vuvuzela you need some lip and lung strength to produce a loud monotone sound.

3. Practised players can generate an awesome 127 decibels when blowing the horn.

4. Researchers even claim to have found evidence that vuvuzelas can lead to permanent hearing damage

5. Where the word vuvuzela comes from is hazy with one theory being that it came from the Zulu word for making a vuvu noise. It is also a township slang word for shower.

6. The vuvuzela is unique to South Africa and is an emblem of hope and unity for many.

7. It was originally made from a kudu horn and it’s claimed in South African folklore that in the ancient days, it was used to summon people to gatherings.

8. The sound made by a vuvuzelas has been compared with “a stampede of noisy elephants, “a deafining swarm of locusts,” or a giant hive of angry bees.”

9. Kaizer Chiefs FC fan Freddie “Saddam” Maake claims he invented the vuvuzelas in 1965 by adapting an aluminium version from a bicycle horn after removing the black rubber to blow with his mouth. He later found it to be too short and joined a pipe to make it longer.

10. Ronaldo has hit out at the sound of the vuvuzelas saying: "It is difficult for anyone on the pitch to concentrate."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/06/13/vuvuzelas-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-fans-world-cup-instrument-115875-22331291/

Let´s keep the african culture while the World Cup is played in Africa!

They were invented for mass production (plastic version) around 96 and became popular around 02/03. Culture my arse.

They dont bother me that much. I keep forgetting about them, the only time i ever get irritated by them is when someone mentions them and I remember how annoying they are. Still though, I'd prefer they didn't use them at all like but it's no massive deal for me.

They're doing my fucking head in.

This.

What I don't understand is, how the fuck do so many people think they're fun and not at all annoying and thus insist on blowing on them non stop.  Cunts.

:thup: Yep. Surely you'd think.. hang on a second, this sounds fucking shite.

Don't get them at all. The culture thing's a load of bollocks, they drown out the rest of the atmosphere, and, well - they're fucking shit. :undecided: One of those little things you blow at a party is more tuneful than these cunts.

Really bloody awful but an appropriate metaphor for the dull, monotone football on show thus far.

Theres no tunes, or any rhythm whatsoever. They're completely pointless and I honestly don't see what their appeal is in the first place. Africans aren't tone deaf are they? They're punishing themselves.

Guest BooBoo

They eliminate any atmsophere as every game sounds exactly the same, propelled by a monotonous drone.