The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I think there was always a fair chance that the Liverpool players would raise their game for a one off tomorrow, and if they left Woy in charge for that and won then it would make it harder to get rid of him.

Appointing Dalglish is pretty much a writeoff of the entire season though. If they wanted to be proactive I would have expected a more ambitious appointment.

More like to get a top class appointment pre-season I'd have thought. Apart from M O'N I can't think of too many managers who are available and they'd realistically look at. Yanks mustn't have been able to find Fat Sam's number.

Definitely remind me of when we had good individuals on high wages but no team spirit and eventually went down.

This is probably the Allardyce to Keegan stage, only Dalglish is more short term. I think it will have a similar effect, but they must clear the deadwood and rebuild this summer if they want a good future.

That means selling Gerrard and Torres.

perfectly set up for daglish to come in and take em down

That just won't happen - Dalglish is far from being a bad manager. The players at NUFC liked him but some of the Board and the media didn't.

Crucially fell out with Fletcher and that sealed his fate despite as many good signings as bad and being hamstrung by the PLC budget.

Has been out of the game a long time, but will keep them up.

See they're wanting Dalglish but one of Roy's biggest problems was he was old fashioned and stuck in his ways, can you see Kenny being any different? You reckon he's mastered the 433 and 451 formations?

How's it the same as when we got Shearer? :mackems:

As if the likes of Ryan Babel will know about, be inspired by or even give a flying shit about Dalglish coming in.

hopefully they will have a spell in the championship then :lol:

That means selling Gerrard and Torres.

Madness.

Why??

Gerrards getting on and thwy can cash in,  torres who cant be arsed

Torres is a world class player. They could get a lot of money for him, but if they are serious about getting back to the top 4/5 then selling their best players is the last thing to do. Gerrard is a hero at Liverpool, there would be uproar if they sold him. Also he is still a top player to have at any club, particularly Liverpool where he will give more than he would elseware. Both players are vital to Liverpool.

How's it the same as when we got Shearer? :mackems:

As if the likes of Ryan Babel will know about, be inspired by or even give a flying shit about Dalglish coming in.

I think there are negative parallels. It's about turning to a fans' favourite in the hope that that the pressure from the stands will ease and some sense of unity will break out around the club.

Shearer wasn't the right man due to inexperience, and Dalglish has been out of management for over 10 years. Long enough to have forgotten what's it's like.

I can understand the reasoning behind the decision, but it feels weak. Once the fans start running the club, things will only go in one direction.

As if Gerrard is still one of the best midfielders in the world.

Was rewatching MOTD2 from last week the other night, Liverpool v Bolton match came on and Gerrard played the through ball for the first Torres goal. Listening to Dixon and Warnock afterwards and I'm pretty sure one of them said 'Gerrard is pretty much the only player in the league who could have played that ball'. It's as if the only thing Barton has done all season is punched Pedersen. Bollocks to it though, long may it continue.

As for Dalglish, I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. Not quite as bad as Wilkinson to the Mackems but he's done fuck all for over a decade, that's a long time. As someone above mentioned, if they didn't think Hodgson was progressive I reckon they're in for a shock. Still don't think they're out of the woods yet this season. Similar amount of points to what we had at this stage when we got relegated, no?

Jonny Hall - Thank you very very much, hadn't even thought about betting on this until you posted odds last week / week before. A nice £170 net profit across the whole bet, much appreciated.

Liverpool fans in a jizz because it is happenning on Elvis' birthday. I pointed out to them it is the same day as Stevenage Borough vs Newcastle United.

No it isn't.

It is.

They dropped the Borough last year.