The Liverpool Thread

Parky

I'd swap their season with ours straight away tbh. Winning a cup and another final at Wembley to look forward to to? I've never had a chance to go see us play in a cup final / semi-final in London.

I wouldn't. i wouldn't want to watch my team go backwards so quick for the sake of a cup win.

Liverpool are a work in progress still. If they hadn't deflated so badly I reckon they'd be in the run for 6th-7th which isn't enough for a club of their stature but not downright terrible for a transitional period. They still need those two-three players that can truly make the difference, since Suárez isn't as prolific as Torres was, Carroll is a bust and Gerrard is understandably fading out, plus their attacking play lacks guile. They spent way too much to be still in this state, but if you put the fees aside progress has been made from last season, even if the league table doesn't fully reflect it.

Those one (or two) cups will be a blessing, since should lift some pressure off the team and give more time. The problem is... will they be able to walk that extra mile? Is the future of Liverpool in the long term being a team chasing 5th or a team in the Top 4? Finding, attracting and affording the players needed will be a big challenge.

I'd swap their season with ours straight away tbh. Winning a cup and another final at Wembley to look forward to to? I've never had a chance to go see us play in a cup final / semi-final in London.

I wouldn't. i wouldn't want to watch my team go backwards so quick for the sake of a cup win.

If you managed to get 4th, it would beat winning any of the cups. I know it's not the ideal state of things, but the way football works CL qualification (if you manage to build on it) means the world nowadays.

At this point it's worth remembering that both Dalglish and Souness both came close to winning trophies with Newcastle with squads left behind with their predecessors. So Dalglish winning a domestic cup can't really gloss over the fact that Liverpool are so far behind us in the league despite spending fortunes on players fees and wages in the last few years.

Dalglish also built his own teams that won titles and trophies at clubs other than yours. 

Our net spend over the last 4 years, according to The Swiss Ramble, is 22 million.  You have bought some great players who were bargains, and have done magnificently in the league,  but us being behind you, however far away or near is neither here nor there.  We're in Europe, have a trophy in the bag, and in the final of another, that's enough gloss for me.

swiss ramble also suggests an average wage bill of something like twice the wage bill at nufc over that period, at well over 100m a season.  shouldnt be ignored when comparing spending like that

Aye. All things considered, there's more to football than a few (probably) undeserved trophies. A whole season of good/great football and massive wins coupled with a top 4 challenge vs mid table obscurity, being a general laughing stock and 2 or 3 great days out at Wembley.

If you managed to get 4th, it would beat winning any of the cups. I know it's not the ideal state of things, but the way football works CL qualification (if you manage to build on it) means the world nowadays.

I completely disagree, we've won nothing for so long that a cup, any cup would cause at least a two day party in Newcastle. I'm pretty pessimistic, I doubt we can compete with with the likes of Chelsea, Man u and City next year even if we finish fourth. Those clubs have so much money it's insane. Arsenal are always strong and Liverpool seem to have a bottomless pit of money to waste on getting top four. We already know that we won't spend huge amounts on transfer fees and more importantly wages. Top four could be a fluke, a cup win goes down in history.

Agreed. Even getting into the Uefa Cup via the league is bigger than winning the Carling cup for me. Considering our expectations last July, it shows massive overall progress and an excellent season.

I completely disagree, we've won nothing for so long that a cup, any cup would cause at least a two day party in Newcastle. I'm pretty pessimistic, I doubt we can compete with with the likes of Chelsea, Man u and City next year even if we finish fourth. Those clubs have so much money it's insane. Arsenal are always strong and Liverpool seem to have a bottomless pit of money to waste on getting top four. We already know that we won't spend huge amounts on transfer fees and more importantly wages. Top four could be a fluke, a cup win goes down in history.

You can manage a cup win in a season you finish 16th though. There's so much luck in it... I think 4th is a greater achievement although I understand what a trophy would mean.

Let's put it this way, had you won the two cup finals in the late 90s, would have made that team more memorable than the Entertainers?

I think given their relative success trophy-wise a lot of Liverpool fans would rather have the higher league position than a cup or even both, while I'm sure many of our fans would happily swap the higher placing this one time for a trophy, any trophy.

So I guess both sides of the argument are right in some way.

You can manage a cup win in a season you finish 16th though. There's so much luck in it... I think 4th is a greater achievement although I understand what a trophy would mean.

Let's put it this way, had you won the two cup finals in the late 90s, would have made that team more memorable than the Entertainers?

Ok I get your point, 4th would be a bigger achievement due to the luck of the draw in the cups but personally I would prefer that over finishing fourth.

I think given their relative success trophy-wise a lot of Liverpool fans would rather have the higher league position than a cup or even both, while I'm sure many of our fans would happily swap the higher placing this one time for a trophy, any trophy.

So I guess both sides of the argument are right in some way.

:thup::

Poll added anyway.

For someone like Liverpool who harped on for so long about wanting to win the league again, a cup double and coming 8th is simply papering over the cracks.

For someone like Liverpool who harped on for so long about wanting to win the league again, a cup double and coming 8th is simply papering over the cracks.

it's not just 8th, it's the size of the gap and how it was achieved.

By our expectations, we have had a fantastic season, where as they have had a poor one. Depite this, the clubs are not a million miles apart.

Regardless of league position and trophies, I wouldn't swap places with any Liverpool fan, as they have been a laughing stock this season. They way they have behaved this year is deplorable.

It's the amount of cash they've wasted doing it and the fact they've got an idiot in the dugout as well though. Apparently they only need 3 more players to challenge for top 4, but that doesn't take into account that they buy shit.

By our expectations, we have had a fantastic season, where as they have had a poor one. Depite this, the clubs are not a million miles apart.

Regardless of league position and trophies, I wouldn't swap places with any Liverpool fan, as they have been a laughing stock this season. They way they have behaved this year is deplorable.

The difference is we need to keep doing what we're doing to progress, we need a couple of supplementary signings, the bed rock is there in Krul, Colo, Tiote/Cabaye, Cisse. They need a change, a new lynchpin in midfield and a goalscorer as a minimum, and that's before you even get to the manager.