The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Klopp does need to do it with more clubs sure, but he's achieved enough for me to be respected as one of the better coaches around

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make, he's a good manager but nowhere near the level some seem to hype him up to be.

His personality is a big thing, because he is so likeable people just bump him up to being some sort of managerial God.

Klopp does need to do it with more clubs sure, but he's achieved enough for me to be respected as one of the better coaches around

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make, he's a good manager but nowhere near the level some seem to hype him up to be.

His personality is a big thing, because he is so likeable people just bump him up to being some sort of managerial God.

I would say that if he gets the players he wants and the squad depth he needs to cope in the PL that I suspect his style is going to work very well indeed. I'm not sure the vast majority of plodders managing in this country will come close to being able to cope with it.

As with our club, the Liverpool job is a difficult one. There's a gap between hopes / expectations and the means to achieve them, and that creates pressure.

They seem to be stuck in a syndrome where they are desperate to improve, but end up buying players who usually aren't any better than the ones they've got. They need a bit of luck with a youngster coming through of exceptional talent, or a transfer that exceeds expectations. They had that luck with Suarez, but couldn't quite capitalise on it.

To even get back into the perenial CL qualifying group they need to spend 150m that is the enormity of the task. It's a very dull squad bar a couple of players.

See this shit is literally being proven to be bollocks when Leicester are top of the league and Spurs are second.

I can't believe how badly they've messed up the transfers, the squad is a mess, they keep spending huge on awful strikers and they're lightweight front to back. They need to offload at least half the squad, assemble a new spine and start from the ground up. Klopp's definitely who I'd want to do that, he has a philosophy that he can build a team around it's whether the transfer committee have the will and whether they even can sell half their squad.

Also can't stop laughing at that Mingolet new contract

I'll be fascinated to see how he gets on when he's had time to build his team.  I think people are possibly cutting him too much slack regarding the strength of the Liverpool squad.  In my opinion, he is underachieving with the squad they have. 

He obviously did a great job with Dortmund, but I wonder if his style of play (as shown by his last season at Dortmund) is a bit stale and he lacks a plan b.  I mean - Tuchel has gone into Dortmund and improved them hugely (which he also did at Mainz after Klopp left).

I'll be fascinated to see how he gets on when he's had time to build his team.  I think people are possibly cutting him too much slack regarding the strength of the Liverpool squad.  In my opinion, he is underachieving with the squad they have. 

He obviously did a great job with Dortmund, but I wonder if his style of play (as shown by his last season at Dortmund) is a bit stale and he lacks a plan b.  I mean - Tuchel has gone into Dortmund and improved them hugely (which he also did at Mainz after Klopp left).

Totally agree with this.

Too early to draw conclusions but he's being given an awful amount of slack that others wouldn't get if they weren't cool, funny motherfuckers.

I can't believe how badly they've messed up the transfers, the squad is a mess, they keep spending huge on awful strikers and they're lightweight front to back. They need to offload at least half the squad, assemble a new spine and start from the ground up. Klopp's definitely who I'd want to do that, he has a philosophy that he can build a team around it's whether the transfer committee have the will and whether they even can sell half their squad.

Also can't stop laughing at that Mingolet new contract

Probably Klopp's first YNWAJFT96. moment giving this joker a new contract of that length. He's a very average keeper who in his time at Liverpool has even regressed. It could well be that he's merely securing Mignolet as their sub keeper while he goes out and brings in a top class performer in the summer for the number 1 spot. Can see Forster going there if he carries on in this vein.

"Writing him off" is a bit harsh but I'm personally not a huge fan of managers who can only get results and improvements when circumstances are entirely in their favour. I prefer a manager who can adapt to what he actually has and get that working until such time as he's able to impose his ideas and being in players to suit it.

Absolutely agree with this.

Top, top football managers should be able to walk into a team like Liverpool and lift them up - especially this season fgs, Leicester (LEICESTER) are top of the league :lol: It might not be "Klopp's team" but they have a much better squad than Leicester and are absolutely underperforming.

His team selections and tactics have been very questionable so far.

It would take an absolutely terrible manager to crash and burn with Dortmund in the Bundesliga, as that league has very poor competition in it.

The one thing Leicester have over Liverpool is balance. Liverpool's squad is bent out of shape and it has made it much more difficult for Klopp to identify his preferred 11. Leicester have the inferior squad on paper, but their first 11 has been virtually unchanged, and almost every one of their players (bar maybe Mahrez and Schmeichel) is performing a level or two above their station.

I don't know if it happened by design or luck, but Leicester have ended up with a bunch of footballers that suit the game they play perfectly. You could put some of those players in a different team with a different style and they wouldn't look half as effective. It really is the case of the sum being more than the parts.

I don't think the current Liverpool squad is suited to the pressing game personally, a lot of them are lightweight.

Hindsight and all. But choosing Krul over Forster looks an awful choice.

A proper football outfit would have booted Harper out and kept the pair of them. Fair play to Forster for having ambition though. He's maturing into a very good PL GK.

Forster would've stagnated as much as Krul if we kept him.

"Writing him off" is a bit harsh but I'm personally not a huge fan of managers who can only get results and improvements when circumstances are entirely in their favour. I prefer a manager who can adapt to what he actually has and get that working until such time as he's able to impose his ideas and being in players to suit it.

Absolutely agree with this.

Top, top football managers should be able to walk into a team like Liverpool and lift them up - especially this season fgs, Leicester (LEICESTER) are top of the league :lol: It might not be "Klopp's team" but they have a much better squad than Leicester and are absolutely underperforming.

His team selections and tactics have been very questionable so far.

It would take an absolutely terrible manager to crash and burn with Dortmund in the Bundesliga, as that league has very poor competition in it.

The one thing Leicester have over Liverpool is balance. Liverpool's squad is bent out of shape and it has made it much more difficult for Klopp to identify his preferred 11. Leicester have the inferior squad on paper, but their first 11 has been virtually unchanged, and almost every one of their players (bar maybe Mahrez and Schmeichel) is performing a level or two above their station.

I don't know if it happened by design or luck, but Leicester have ended up with a bunch of footballers that suit the game they play perfectly. You could put some of those players in a different team with a different style and they wouldn't look half as effective. It really is the case of the sum being more than the parts.

I don't think the current Liverpool squad is suited to the pressing game personally, a lot of them are lightweight.

I feel like Klopp and Poch are similar in that they have a particular style that they believe is ultimately the best way to play. They then look for players to fit that style. Ranieri is coming from a different place - he's looked at the players he has, worked out the tactics that are most likely to work and then filled in the gaps.

Poch has an advantage in that our academy has been working to produce versatile players with good basic skills, which meant that it's easier for him to mould them, and for them to slot into his approach. If they cannot adapt, he gets shot (Townsend, Lennon, Yedlin etc). Liverpool's academy hasn't worked in quite the same way, and they're currently running a year or so behind us (spunking the Suarez/Bale money, hiring a new manager).

Liverpool's commercial revenue still far outstrips ours, so they are definitely in a position to continue spending on the team - even including Suarez's sale they net spend on average over 30M a season. I can see Klopp completely gutting the squad this summer. I'm just not convinced that he can turn it around in time for next year - although they may not have Europe to worry about. Are they qualifying via the League Cup? If they have less distractions next year I see no reason why he can't have them challenging for the Top 4 again, although it's getting pretty crowded now.

Forster isn't even that good :lol: Makes more mistakes than he does good performances. If he stayed here we would criticize him the same way he we do with Krul. Would much rather have Krul tbh, if he could stay fit that is.

:lol:

The scousers must be desperate to offload this sicknote.  He's always been injury prone when at man City then also at Chelsea.  Now at Liverpool it's plain to see that whilst he is a talented striker his body can't stand the rigours of professional football.  Time for him to retire on medical grounds in my opinion.

The scousers must be desperate to offload this sicknote.  He's always been injury prone when at man City then also at Chelsea.  Now at Liverpool it's plain to see that whilst he is a talented striker his body can't stand the rigours of professional football.  Te for him to retire on medical grounds in my opinion.

or lay of the drugs