The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Guest Heneage

the best thing to happen tomorrow is for glen johnson to give luis an obvious hug before the game, then luis to bang in a hat trick.

"Hey Glen, you're black, give Luis a hug before the game, yeah?" :lol:

Why not wheel out Nathan Ecclestone too. :lol:

the best thing to happen tomorrow is for glen johnson to give luis an obvious hug before the game, then luis to bang in a hat trick.

"Hey Glen, you're black, give Luis a hug before the game, yeah?" :lol:

Why not wheel out Nathan Ecclestone too. :lol:

or charles itandje. oh wait they ran him out of town for smiling.

Guest neesy111

Liverpool on Facebook to me (who is of Indian Origin):

Anyone calling Suarez a racist clearly haven't read beyond the headlines! The FA disciplinary panel admitted that he isn't racist, his grandad is black for pete's sake! He got done for using abusive language against Evra, hell even Evra admitted that he Suarez isn't racist!

Guest ykmkmdd

Reading RAWK posts hurts my brain.

Aye, had to give up after a few pages, people point out the similarities with the Barton and Carroll incidents but at least on here there was a debate covering both sides, on there the delusion appears to have 100% coverage.

He's not racist, his Grandad is black , maybe' :lol:

They also used the world famous "he has a lot of black friends' line. Classic.

From Tim Vickery (BBC South American correspondent):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16262537.stm

Among Suarez's team-mates these days is Maxi Pereira, who is known as "El Mono" - the monkey. It is a nickname which, apparently, is given and accepted with no offence meant or taken. It appears to be used in the same spirit that Alvaro Fernandez is called "El Flaco", which means skinny.

Of course he wasn't done for racism - an 8 game ban for using abusive language is the norm :lol:

Yep, the official line is abusive language too.

Liverpool's Luis Suarez has been handed an eight-match ban and a £40' date='000 fine by the Football Association after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.[/quote']

Oh no wait.

:yao:

I detest the little cunt as much as the next guy, but 8 games is definitely harsh considering the evidence. The FA have to present some very good evidence to support the length of that ban.

The reason I don't want Liverpool to be hard done by is because they always seem to make up for it in other ways (luck, suddenly turning good).

Suarez gets 8 game ban, thrash Newcastle 6-1 and 3-0 and finish 3rd. That's a scenario I would be terrified of.

I sit next to a Uraguayan at work who's astonished it's an issue in the slightest, the culture and usage of the terminology there is completely different. Had a pretty interesting chat with him but he's a Suarez fanboy and blatantly loves a cheeky bit of racism so it was a bit one sided. There's a Tim Vickery piece on the BBC sport that starts off by giving an extremely good insight into the culture of the words, I've linked below.

That's the other side of the coin: beyond what the words Suarez used may mean, there's the question of what's racist, which is *very* dependent on culture. What would be perceived in hyper-sensitive Britain as racist would not be in other cultures less sensitive to racism. And then there's the differing sensitivity to perceived racism against different races: in the UK, people are very sensitive to racism against blacks but not against, say, Albanians because there are a lot of blacks but few Albanians. A few weeks ago, an extremely liberal, pro-immigrant German lass who spends all her time helping kids from immigrant families, who would never dream of saying anything anti-Turkish, told me that "laying an Obama in the White House" is slang for having a shit (there are very few black people in Germany, and most racism is directed against Turks, Arabs and East Europeans).

-------------------

With regards to the FA's ruling: it's a complete cop-out. They've found him guilty of indecent/abusive behaviour and punished him for racism. An 8 match ban is ridiculous for what they've found him guilty of. FFS, Rooney got a 2-game ban for running up to the TV camera and shouting "fuck off" into it. They should have either given him a punishment typical of the violation they found him guilty of or had the balls to label him a racist along with clearly you've-been-found-guilty-of-racism ban they handed him.

Whilst I agree with the first half of your post that's not necessarily the point. It may well be inoffensive in his culture but there are ramifications beyond that - he's been in Europe for some time by now and as such must realise that it's extremely offensive to refer to people in such a manner. He's not a complete idiot, surely he knew what he was doing and as such theoretically it could still be construed as racist?

I'm just theorising mind, don't know the ins and outs of the case.

Plus it's funny as fuck he's been banned for 8 games.

Or maybe not. It seems bizarre that this could have been the first time he'd said such things in four years. Also, seeing as there were no other witnesses, why did Suarez freely admit he'd said "negrito"? If he had believed it was racist, surely he'd have just denied it. More likely, he wasn't aware of how hypersensitive the UK is to perceived racism.

Guest neesy111

The difference is that Terry is being investigated by the police, so the FA have to sit back and wait for the police verdict before taking any action.

Decision by CPS due this afternoon.  Hope JT gets done and then done over in Woomword Scrubs. 

I sit next to a Uraguayan at work who's astonished it's an issue in the slightest, the culture and usage of the terminology there is completely different. Had a pretty interesting chat with him but he's a Suarez fanboy and blatantly loves a cheeky bit of racism so it was a bit one sided. There's a Tim Vickery piece on the BBC sport that starts off by giving an extremely good insight into the culture of the words, I've linked below.

That's the other side of the coin: beyond what the words Suarez used may mean, there's the question of what's racist, which is *very* dependent on culture. What would be perceived in hyper-sensitive Britain as racist would not be in other cultures less sensitive to racism. And then there's the differing sensitivity to perceived racism against different races: in the UK, people are very sensitive to racism against blacks but not against, say, Albanians because there are a lot of blacks but few Albanians. A few weeks ago, an extremely liberal, pro-immigrant German lass who spends all her time helping kids from immigrant families, who would never dream of saying anything anti-Turkish, told me that "laying an Obama in the White House" is slang for having a shit (there are very few black people in Germany, and most racism is directed against Turks, Arabs and East Europeans).

-------------------

With regards to the FA's ruling: it's a complete cop-out. They've found him guilty of indecent/abusive behaviour and punished him for racism. An 8 match ban is ridiculous for what they've found him guilty of. FFS, Rooney got a 2-game ban for running up to the TV camera and shouting "fuck off" into it. They should have either given him a punishment typical of the violation they found him guilty of or had the balls to label him a racist along with clearly you've-been-found-guilty-of-racism ban they handed him.

Whilst I agree with the first half of your post that's not necessarily the point. It may well be inoffensive in his culture but there are ramifications beyond that - he's been in Europe for some time by now and as such must realise that it's extremely offensive to refer to people in such a manner. He's not a complete idiot, surely he knew what he was doing and as such theoretically it could still be construed as racist?

Or maybe not. It seems bizarre that this could have been the first time he'd said such things in four years. Also, seeing as there were no other witnesses, why did Suarez freely admit he'd said "negrito"? If he had believed it was racist, surely he'd have just denied it. More likely, he wasn't aware of how hypersensitive the UK is to perceived racism.

Hmmmm. Perhaps. It seems like a cheap (attempted) get out of jail card, playing stupid, to be honest. My guess is that there was no racist intent used but that he was trying to wind Evra up as much as he possibly could and pushed it a bit too far (possibly down to a lack of understanding around the connotations of that word in England and France) and now it's come back to bite him on the arse.

-------------------

Ignorance of the law has never been an excuse. If Suarez doesn't understand that the UK is different from Uruguay then that's either his fault or the fault of Liverpool FC.

Guest neesy111

-------------------

Ignorance of the law has never been an excuse. If Suarez doesn't understand that the UK is different from Uruguay then that's either his fault or the fault of Liverpool FC.

Well Said.

If you go on holiday and do something culturally offensive when there, then it's your own fault and no-one else.