James Perch

BeloEmre

Despite the fact that he was no more than a willing back up his attitude and work rate for the team after such an atrocious start speaks volumes. A really decent bloke that deserves to be at Newcastle a lot more than some others. I really think it's a mistake to let him go, just as it was a mistake to let Guthrie go and a mistake to let Routledge go and a mistake to let Best go. Yes they weren't setting the world alight but they would have been damn useful at points last season as well as being good guys to have around the place. All the best Perchinho.

On a side note, why is Ashley not demanding that that cunt Whelan pay through the nose for Perch, it's well known that they hate each other and after what happened last season Wigan are the last team that I'd want to be doing any favours for in helping them get out of the championship, here's hoping those inbreds crash and burn and we never have to go to that mostly empty rugby ground again.

It was a mistake to let Routledge go because he had ability and offered us something we needed. I don't think it was a mistake to let Guthrie go, he couldn't even play regularly for relegated Reading. It's not a mistake to let Perch go either, because we have enough cover in the positions he plays.

You're right he has tried hard and probably 'deserves' credit, but he's still a bang average player.

Guest bimpy474

Routledge was let go by Pardew, who said he wasn't good enough for this level, so we signed Obertan instead to replace him :lol:

Guest chopey

I just think that Ashley has no ambition for this club other than to keep us in the premier league, everyone that works for the club thinks that Europe is a curse,(even Krul has spoke about it today) so it seems daft to get rid of a player that could contribute next season 

I'm torn on this. I like Perch as a stop gap, but Pardew has used him as more than that, to the detriment of other players deserving of game time. I think we are reasonably well covered in most areas where he can be useful, maybe with the exception of centre back if Willo also leaves, or God forbid Colo changes his mind. In theory selling our squad fillers and replacing them with better players on a free (Douglas, Vainqueur) or talented youngsters is the way to go, but the problem, as always under Ashley, is in the execution. We've already pulled the plug on cheap, probably better alternatives that were available to us, so unless Mike is prepared to actually spend some cash for once there is a very real chance we'll be leaving ourselves short of squad depth again. To me, 700k makes it not worth it from our perspective, even with only one year left on his contract. I would have thought we could have got at least twice that, unless James himself wants a move, in which case the option to buy out his contract may limit our negotiation position.

In short: I can see the logic in moving him on, but only if certain conditions are met. Sadly, that will almost certainly not be the case.

Guest neesy111

I don't even think we need a direct replacement for Perch considering he didn't really have a position.

Guest bimpy474

As much as Perch has been ok for us. He isn't good enough for where we want and should be.

Pardew wanting him says more about type of player he'll prefer in his side. A tackle, i'm sick of that tbh.

Agreed. Perch probably played too many matches ahead of other lads.

That's what i was getting at, someone said it earlier about that Liverpool line up. Having Perch gave Pardew the chance to be a defensive coward with his team. Not sure getting rid of Perch or anyone else will change the managers outlook tbh mind.

We had the more injuries last season than any other team, a lot more. Our squad wasn't big enough or good enough to cover these, using Europe as an excuse for the fact that the squad wasn't big enough/good enough/fit enough is ridiculous. Look at Chelsea for example, played more games than we did, had fitter players than we did. Won a trophy.

Now obviously we're not Chelsea and don't have the resources that they do but surely it would make sense to keep hold of players that are capable of slotting in now and again when needed so that we dont end up playing half fit players that will then be out for longer as a result (see HBA at fulham).

Perch is pretty bad at CB really, I think only DM is a position he can cope with in the Premier League. And even then the job he does is incredibly limited, though competent.

Better than pretty bad imo. A decent and honest player, who as 4th choice is more than competent.

I agree about the limitations, but at least he appears to be aware of them and performs more than competently imo. Unlike Tiote who is incompetent, limited but doesn't have the intelligence to know it.

Hope the lad does well at wherever he goes. Lets hope we replace with better. I'm sure many of us have utter faith in the current regime to do so. Uncle Joe will sort it obviously.

We had the more injuries last season than any other team, a lot more. Our squad wasn't big enough or good enough to cover these, using Europe as an excuse for the fact that the squad wasn't big enough/good enough/fit enough is ridiculous. Look at Chelsea for example, played more games than we did, had fitter players than we did. Won a trophy.

Now obviously we're not Chelsea and don't have the resources that they do but surely it would make sense to keep hold of players that are capable of slotting in now and again when needed so that we dont end up playing half fit players that will then be out for longer as a result (see HBA at fulham).

You've got to think that last season was exceptionally bad in terms of injuries. We now have (probably) less games and (probably) less injuries as well.

You've got to think that last season was exceptionally bad in terms of injuries. We now have (probably) less games and (probably) less injuries as well.

Oh definitely, I think it was an extreme case but one that really highlighted the limitations of an over stretched squad. If I was asked to make a prediction for this coming season I would say that we probably won't have as many injuries but still higher than the average as well as finishing mid table but no higher which is by no means a reflection of the ability or inability of the playing staff more an indictment of the coaching staff. DOF included.

If Pardew had any ounce of dignity he wouldn't stand for that, but lets face it, if he has a big payout coming his way in the event of a sacking, he's not going to walk away is he.

You think the manager should resign over James Perch's contract?

Perhaps my point wasn't clear.  What I meant was that if he doesn't actually have the final say on who stays and goes from his team, surely it undermines his position and gives him no control?  Most managers wouldn't stand for that.

As if I would be making the point purely based on Perch though :lol:.  For what it's worth, I'm indifferent on him leaving; he started off poorly but cemented himself as a decent backup player over time.

If Pardew had any ounce of dignity he wouldn't stand for that, but lets face it, if he has a big payout coming his way in the event of a sacking, he's not going to walk away is he.

You think the manager should resign over James Perch's contract?

Perhaps my point wasn't clear.  What I meant was that if he doesn't actually have the final say on who stays and goes from his team, surely it undermines his position and gives him no control?  Most managers wouldn't stand for that.

As if I would be making the point purely based on Perch though :lol:.

Well, it's debatable whether he should have full control. The fact is he doesn't and he has accepted that.

The only way to assess this sale is to see who we bring in as replacements. Here's hoping that JFK's ego gets the better of Ashley and he swears and lies his way to some quality signings. I've no doubt that he's hell bent on bringing in a biggish name - to show us c**nts and no nowts what we are. Hope he embarrasses the hell out of with a steady stream of quality new faces.

Not going to happen, pity.

Routledge was let go by Pardew, who said he wasn't good enough for this level, so we signed Obertan instead to replace him :lol:

Yep, a massive error. Always seemed very weird to sell Routledge.

He's just had his first decent season in the top flight in 8 years. Again like the Hughes situation, selling him wasn't the problem, who we replaced him with is.

Guest Roger Kint

Raylor is his replacement .. he'll be like a new signing.

That would work if he wasnt missing the season through injury :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Wonder if Gosling is our new "tackle" when we need one?

He was told he could leave weeks ago though

Central midfield:

Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko, Marveaux, Ainita, Bigirimana. More than enough imo.

Yep, potentially a bigger role for Bigi and increased use of Anita. Worth selling Perch just for that really.

Not at all. One represents little more than potential at this point and the other is an unknown quantity that Pardew is incapable of best utilising. No reason not to keep Perch around at all imo. As others have said, he's an exemplary professional who provides adequate cover in numerous positions.

Central midfield:

Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko, Marveaux, Ainita, Bigirimana. More than enough imo.

Yep, potentially a bigger role for Bigi and increased use of Anita. Worth selling Perch just for that really.

Not at all. One represents little more than potential at this point and the other is an unknown quantity that Pardew is incapable of best utilising. No reason not to keep Perch around at all imo. As others have said, he's an exemplary professional who provides adequate cover in numerous positions.

In theory the manager should be capable of using them all appropriately. I just mean that for me, it is worth selling Perch so that we have to use Bigi and Anita more, because that's what I want to see happen.

He only provides adequate cover at DM though, IMO. He's appalling at fullback and only just about acceptable at CB. He is a great pro though and he has improved a lot when other people would have crumbled. I don't dislike him, I just don't really rate him much.