James Perch

BeloEmre

Central midfield:

Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko, Marveaux, Ainita, Bigirimana. More than enough imo.

Yep, potentially a bigger role for Bigi and increased use of Anita. Worth selling Perch just for that really.

Not at all. One represents little more than potential at this point and the other is an unknown quantity that Pardew is incapable of best utilising. No reason not to keep Perch around at all imo. As others have said, he's an exemplary professional who provides adequate cover in numerous positions.

In theory the manager should be capable of using them all appropriately. I just mean that for me, it is worth selling Perch so that we have to use Bigi and Anita more, because that's what I want to see happen.

He only provides adequate cover at DM though, IMO. He's appalling at fullback and only just about acceptable at CB. He is a great pro though and he has improved a lot when other people would have crumbled. I don't dislike him, I just don't really rate him much.

Personally I don't think having Bigi or Anita instead of Perch last year would have made a huge difference to us in many games. Bigi is a player with raw attributes and potential, and Anita is a massive question mark given the way the team is set up. Pardew did use Perch when he shouldn't have done at times last season, but the root problem here is surely his cowardly outlook rather than Perch himself.

I actually think he is 6/10 on most days in all of the positions he can play, possibly with the exception of fullback (terrible in his first few games with us, has looked ok there since)  :dontknow:.

I reckon Perch is 6/10 as a (limited role) DM, generously 5/10 as a CB and about 3/10 as a fullback.

Agreed, that doesn't mean he isn't capable of very good/very bad displays in those positions. If we're going to have young players coming through it makes sense for players that aren't first or second choice being moved on.

Routledge was let go by Pardew, who said he wasn't good enough for this level, so we signed Obertan instead to replace him :lol:

Yep, a massive error. Always seemed very weird to sell Routledge.

He's just had his first decent season in the top flight in 8 years. Again like the Hughes situation, selling him wasn't the problem, who we replaced him with is.

Not quite the same as the Hughes situation - we should never have sold Hughes.

Raylor is his replacement .. he'll be like a new signing.

That would work if he wasnt missing the season through injury :lol:

We can't replace him with someone who'll play, what will Pardew's excuses be?  Think about it, man.

I hate Perch and yet I am sad to see him leave. If we don't sign lots of players this summer he is a pretty important versatile squad player who can slot in where necessary when needed.

Guest Roger Kint

Raylor is his replacement .. he'll be like a new signing.

That would work if he wasnt missing the season through injury :lol:

We can't replace him with someone who'll play, what will Pardew's excuses be?  Think about it, man.

Sadly true :lol:

Useful squad player but unfortunately became too much of a regular. Probably doesn't need to be replaced really.

Doesn't the fact he became a regular say the opposite?

Useful squad player but unfortunately became too much of a regular. Probably doesn't need to be replaced really.

Doesn't the fact he became a regular say the opposite?

Nah. Just means Pardew will have to start picking Anita instead.

Fair point, still don't think we should get rid though. I guarantee we will miss having him at times next (this) season.

Not that I'm favour of consistently playing a legitemate DM but he's arguably the best one we've got. Of course we'll miss him at times.

This is fucking stupid.  It's not as if Perch has demanded first team football.

Sell an adequate squad member who is also versatile, keep useless cock knockers like Williamson and Gosling.

To be fair we are trying to shift those two by all accounts.

If we miss Perch we will be in dire times indeed.

Dan Gosling has moved a step closer to the first team and Williamson is now the only option if 2 of our centre backs are missing. As I said the other day, if Taylor and MYM are out at the same time any opposition with even a remotely quick forward is going to have a field day through the middle.

I'm missing Perch already.