James Perch

BeloEmre

Perch was probably MoM for me tbf. Awsome performance, just loved his dedication to bits.

Yeah was shocked Jonas got it, maybe for his first half but he disappeared for the second until right at the end saying that most of the team looked drunk first 15mins of the second half, falling over and acting weirdly.. Perch and Guthrie played really well.

So...in for Williamson when Tiote is back?

Before anyone slates this and not without good reason. I genuinely think this is the best option for the balance of the team and relief of pressure that is currently on williamson. Can't go many more games watching the likes of what happened at the back yesterday and whether he can mix it physically or not; I believe he is still the better option. He won't waste possession when we have the ball, he'll ge his head up and make decent passes. He showed yesterday he had some of he neccessary tenacity and he is a much needed technically more able presence in the back four. Tbh whether is williamson or simpson who makes way I don't care. I can't abide to see the panicked and wasteful play from those two any further.

I and many others understand given the shite circumstance those at the top have provided not investing in CB/RB cover in January and that this is the hand we're dealt. None of the options we have are the right one but putting Perch at CB in the next few games will be a positive step to damage limitation in my view. We'll lose games more crucial than this one if the same persists.

I honestly don't think Perch has the capabilities to be an effective CB. If the opposition is more known to attack along the ground (and through the middle), then fair enough, Perch might be able to do some sort of job at CB but really though, Perch is more prone to mistakes in this position imo.

The way I see it is that there's a lot more responsibility involved at CB, that is, the player needs to be able to deal with crosses, set pieces or even high balls and be able to read the game effectively. I think that Perch's main weakness is dealing with crosses, we saw that against Norwich in December - his anticipation in tracking the intended target is rather slow imo. I know our defensive situation isn't so great atm especially with Williamson lacking in confidence and form but, like it or not, Willo is our best option there.

Perch's best role is DM, the anchorman. He's shown that he's able to break up the opposition's play effectively and has known to play it simple (a good thing btw) when deployed in such a position. Think he prefers playing there too.

As it stands though, for me, Perch's roles for us should be to cover DM and the fullback positions. Playing him at CB should be the absolute last resort imho.

Guest neesy111

Some people have forgotten how bad Perch was as a CB v West Brom & Norwich.  Like Sifu has said his best role is DM.

The only way Perch should be anywhere near a CB role is if its in a 3 CB system otherwise he shouldnt be anywhere near it he has proved before he is f*ckin awful in a CB role.

DM or fullback at a stretch is the only roles he should be picked for.

Just gan wild and play neither Williamson or Perch at CB.

Krul

Coloccini

Santon                                  Jonas

Perch  Tiote   

Guthrie      Cabaye

Ben Arfa                    Ba

Cisse

Problem solved.

Just gan wild and play neither Williamson or Perch at CB.

Krul

Coloccini

Santon                                  Jonas

Perch  Tiote   

Guthrie      Cabaye

Ben Arfa                    Ba

Cisse

Problem solved.

Lol not even Bielsa ( whose nickname is El Loco) for a reason would do that......... or would he  :undecided:

Aye, but he doesn't have a beautiful, permed Argie at the heart of his defence. Coloccini already covers for the rest of the defence for the majority of the game so why not just simplify the whole process and take them out the equation? Conventional mainstream formations are shit man, we need to be the formation hipsters of the league, Pardew's got the stupid specs so we're already half way there.

I honestly don't think Perch has the capabilities to be an effective CB. If the opposition is more known to attack along the ground (and through the middle), then fair enough, Perch might be able to do some sort of job at CB but really though, Perch is more prone to mistakes in this position imo.

The way I see it is that there's a lot more responsibility involved at CB, that is, the player needs to be able to deal with crosses, set pieces or even high balls and be able to read the game effectively. I think that Perch's main weakness is dealing with crosses, we saw that against Norwich in December - his anticipation in tracking the intended target is rather slow imo. I know our defensive situation isn't so great atm especially with Williamson lacking in confidence and form but, like it or not, Willo is our best option there.

Perch's best role is DM, the anchorman. He's shown that he's able to break up the opposition's play effectively and has known to play it simple (a good thing btw) when deployed in such a position. Think he prefers playing there too.

As it stands though, for me, Perch's roles for us should be to cover DM and the fullback positions. Playing him at CB should be the absolute last resort imho.

100% true. He is way too small to be  a CB, would be killed in the air just like he was earlier in the season. Williamson IS the only option right now.

Aye, but he doesn't have a beautiful, permed Argie at the heart of his defence. Coloccini already covers for the rest of the defence for the majority of the game so why not just simplify the whole process and take them out the equation? Conventional mainstream formations are s*** man, we need to be the formation hipsters of the league, Pardew's got the stupid specs so we're already half way there.

LMAO its probably true like  :lol:

perch and tiote together in midfield might just give cabaye the release he needs. would have to drop a striker though. would also benefit ben arfa. 4 - 2 -3 -1

In other words, no point in even going there.

100% true. He is way too small to be  a CB, would be killed in the air just like he was earlier in the season. Williamson IS the only option right now.

is he not actually taller than Colocinni??????????

No.

No.

Looked it up he's only 4 centimetres smaller than Colo or an inch and a half in old money.

Perch is 6 feet tall, Jamie Carragher for example is 5 foot 11