James Perch

BeloEmre

I honestly don't think Perch has the capabilities to be an effective CB. If the opposition is more known to attack along the ground (and through the middle), then fair enough, Perch might be able to do some sort of job at CB but really though, Perch is more prone to mistakes in this position imo.

The way I see it is that there's a lot more responsibility involved at CB, that is, the player needs to be able to deal with crosses, set pieces or even high balls and be able to read the game effectively. I think that Perch's main weakness is dealing with crosses, we saw that against Norwich in December - his anticipation in tracking the intended target is rather slow imo. I know our defensive situation isn't so great atm especially with Williamson lacking in confidence and form but, like it or not, Willo is our best option there.

Perch's best role is DM, the anchorman. He's shown that he's able to break up the opposition's play effectively and has known to play it simple (a good thing btw) when deployed in such a position. Think he prefers playing there too.

As it stands though, for me, Perch's roles for us should be to cover DM and the fullback positions. Playing him at CB should be the absolute last resort imho.

100% true. He is way too small to be  a CB, would be killed in the air just like he was earlier in the season. Williamson IS the only option right now.

is he not actually taller than Colocinni??????????

No.

Looked it up he's only 4 centimetres smaller than Colo or an inch and a half in old money.

Perch is 6 feet tall, Jamie Carragher for example is 5 foot 11

Are you saying Colo is 6'1 1/2"? Having met him, he's about 5'11".

Perch always looks very slight compared to the other players. As if a puff of wind would blow him over.

He only looked like that when he was asked to play the main CB against Grant Holt at Norwich partnered by Simpson IIRC. Tough ask for two full backs really.

I honestly don't think Perch has the capabilities to be an effective CB. If the opposition is more known to attack along the ground (and through the middle), then fair enough, Perch might be able to do some sort of job at CB but really though, Perch is more prone to mistakes in this position imo.

The way I see it is that there's a lot more responsibility involved at CB, that is, the player needs to be able to deal with crosses, set pieces or even high balls and be able to read the game effectively. I think that Perch's main weakness is dealing with crosses, we saw that against Norwich in December - his anticipation in tracking the intended target is rather slow imo. I know our defensive situation isn't so great atm especially with Williamson lacking in confidence and form but, like it or not, Willo is our best option there.

Perch's best role is DM, the anchorman. He's shown that he's able to break up the opposition's play effectively and has known to play it simple (a good thing btw) when deployed in such a position. Think he prefers playing there too.

As it stands though, for me, Perch's roles for us should be to cover DM and the fullback positions. Playing him at CB should be the absolute last resort imho.

100% true. He is way too small to be  a CB, would be killed in the air just like he was earlier in the season. Williamson IS the only option right now.

No.

Looked it up he's only 4 centimetres smaller than Colo or an inch and a half in old money.

Perch is 5ft 11.

No.

Perch is 5ft 11.

BBC Says he's 1.8M which is 180cm.

A 30 cm ruler is 1 foot so therefore 6 x 30cm = 6 feet.

Guest SuperShola!

I fucking love Perchy. Think he's going to be a bit like Colo tbh. When Colo first started here he really wasn't that good but given time he improved and now he's one of the best CB's in the league. With Perchy he's sort of hit and miss but he has really stepped up this season. I think Pards must have bollocked him after the 4-2 at Norwich because ever since then he's been getting better and improving. He really stepped up this Sunday and I just felt safe when he had the ball, a bit like when Colo has it. Plus, some of the tackles he was making really helped us in that game. I think if you give him time he could be in the starting 11 by next season. And no, i'm not drunk :D

No.

Perch is 5ft 11.

6ft =/= 180cm.

1 foot is equal to approximately 29.2cm. A 0.8cm may not seem like much but then it adds up.

5'11 is correct.

No.

Perch is 5ft 11.

6ft =/= 180cm.

1 foot is equal to approximately 29.2cm. A 0.8cm may not seem like much but then it adds up.

5'11 is correct.

Fair enough, but that makes him the same height as Jamie Carragher who's played most of his career at centre half.

Yeah, but Jamie Carragher probably has significantly more defensive ability to go with that and has played alongside giants like Hyypia throughout his career.

The arguement was about him being too small to play Centre Back though and he isn't if like you say he has a bigger bloke playing with him.

being short didn't stop Paul Parker from being a top class CB.

Yeah, but Jamie Carragher probably has significantly more defensive ability to go with that and has played alongside giants like Hyypia throughout his career.

The arguement was about him being too small to play Centre Back though and he isn't if like you say he has a bigger bloke playing with him.

being short didn't stop Paul Parker from being a top class CB.

He ended up at right back in the end though.

No.

Perch is 5ft 11.

6ft =/= 180cm.

5'11 is correct.

If he's 5' 11'' then using 29.2cm per foot it makes him 172.8cm, not 180cm.  180cm is over 6 foot using 29.2cm per foot.

edit:  Right, sorted.  Google reckons there's 30.48cm in a foot which makes everything add up :)

Up until this very minute (as not to curse him) he has been very, very good this season imo. Cuts out loads, looks a completely different player, has confidence for the first time.

IF he plays like this when called upon for the rest of the season we have 'like a new signing'.

I have been amazingly impressed with him the last few games, it's not just 'he has done okay for James Perch' it's been 'he has done very well for any player'  :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: